WCQF: (1) Nashville Predators vs. (WC2) Colorado Avalanche | Nashville Leads Series 3-2

Nashville vs Colorado

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Easy sweep. Col is bad and made the playoffs based on super unsustainable crappy possession metrics and on ice shooting percentage. The last 8 or so games are the real Avs.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I'm excited for avs fans, you guys remind me of the leafs last year, no one gave us a chance against the caps but we played them well, i have a feeling that you guys will play the preds well too.

PackShark

Oct 7, 2017
Forgive me if this has been addressed here of elsewhere, but do teams normally have an on ice ceremony for the President's Trophy? I don't recall San Jose doing one back in 2009 or other teams.

Anyways, I hope the Avs can pull off an upset. Kinda feel like Nashville has gotten arrogant over the past two seasons. I doubt it happens though. I think Nashville takes it in 5.

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
We'll get swept but I have no doubt that the guys on this year's roster will die for each other on the ice if necessary.

I'm really upset that we're playing against the Preds, though. Not just because they're too good but also because I want to root for them to win the cup and it'll be harder/impossible to do so when they kick us out lol.

Reactions: MacBradley

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Salty Blues fans griping about us getting in while respectful Preds fans preach cautious confidence? Nah, that's just you being paranoid.

I wonder why people do that unless they are just trying to be nice/humble?

This should be Preds in five easily, I don't see one area the Avs are close except maybe the first lines.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

This should be Preds in five easily, I don't see one area the Avs are close except maybe the first lines.

:dunno: Being likable goes a long way to how much other fanbases like yours. And we like Nashville fans...for now...it's a big part of why many avs fans were gunna hop on their bandwagon before this match up was cemented.

A deadly first line, awesome special teams, and a hot goalie have shot down great teams before *shrug* though few of us expect that.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Avs first line >> NSH first line, the MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog trio is arguably one of the 3 best lines in hockey this season and NSH doesn't have a trio that is better. The problem for the Avs in the series is our lack of depth compared to NSH, their bottom 3 lines are way better than the Avs, their defense is much better and so is their goaltending.

On paper the Preds are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win. This series will be closer than many fans anticipate. Colorado is a better team than most are giving them credit for.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
On paper the Preds are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win. This series will be closer than many fans anticipate. Colorado is a better team than most are giving them credit for.

In a seven game series the better team wins 99% of the time. Of course there can be upsets but this won't be one of them.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Avs first line >> NSH first line, the MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog trio is arguably one of the 3 best lines in hockey this season and NSH doesn't have a trio that is better. The problem for the Avs in the series is our lack of depth compared to NSH, their bottom 3 lines are way better than the Avs, their defense is much better and so is their goaltending.

The NHL is unique because the difference between the #1 seed and the #16 seed isn't nearly as large as it is in other sports. Because of that the better team doesn't always win, however the better team usually does win. Looking back at the Preds past playoff history I can't find one time where the Preds were the obvious underdog and found a way to win. They might have played well and put up a fight but they ultimately always lost to the better team.

The problem COL are going to run into is the Preds come at you in waves. Forwards 1 - 12, D-men 1 - 4, and the G are all talented and experienced relative to their respective usage. COL doesn't have the horses to keep up 60 minutes a game over a 7 game series.

I think this would be a huge upset. For the Avs to really make this a close series I think their PP has to catch fire. The Preds are one of the most penalized teams in the league. If they play with fire they might get burned. I think that is the most realistic scenario.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I've always liked Nashville, it's gonna be nice having a team I respect teach the Avs what true playoff hockey is and how far we've come, but have to go until we reach a level close to the preds. Safe bet is Preds in 5 just because the Avs have been one of the best home teams in the NHL.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
For us to win the top line & our special teams have to have to have to steal us one of those first two games. If they can go to Colorado where the team is much tougher and the depth is more effective, with a 1-1 series split then maybe, maybe we can pull it off. But the preds would probably need to help us out for them not to come to Denver up 2-0

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Nashville is our hardest match up. They have the depth to bully our bottom 3 lines and our first line is not gonna have any easy lines to match up against. That being said, every other team in the west would have been a tough match up as well. All the teams have good depth.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
In a seven game series the better team wins 99% of the time. Of course there can be upsets but this won't be one of them.
I remember a certain 8 seed beating a 1 seed last season in a 4 game sweep. No one gave Nashville a shot at winning against Chicago last year.

I'm not expecting Colorado to win the series but I do fully expect the Avs to be competitive and make Nashville sweat it out a bit. This isn't going to be the 4 or 5 game series everyone seems to be predicting.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The NHL is unique because the difference between the #1 seed and the #16 seed isn't nearly as large as it is in other sports. Because of that the better team doesn't always win, however the better team usually does win. Looking back at the Preds past playoff history I can't find one time where the Preds were the obvious underdog and found a way to win. They might have played well and put up a fight but they ultimately always lost to the better team.

The problem COL are going to run into is the Preds come at you in waves. Forwards 1 - 12, D-men 1 - 4, and the G are all talented and experienced relative to their respective usage. COL doesn't have the horses to keep up 60 minutes a game over a 7 game series.

I think this would be a huge upset. For the Avs to really make this a close series I think their PP has to catch fire. The Preds are one of the most penalized teams in the league. If they play with fire they might get burned. I think that is the most realistic scenario.
I agree with everything you state here. Nashville is a damn good team, and Colorado is going to struggle with the great depth and ridiculous defensive core. I do think MacKinnon is going to give Nashville a lot to handle as well, but at the end of the day we'll need more than that.

The only shot the Avs have is if MacKinnon wills us to victory and Rinne is going to have to not play well on top of it.

ccp14a

Apr 8, 2018
Nashville, TN
I'll predict at least two overtime games and Preds win in 5 or 6. Nashville has too much of an advantage in goal, defensive depth, and forward depth.

That being said, Colorado has the best player and top line in the series. Plus, the Preds have the worst penalty +/- in the league. If the Avs take advantage of their power play opportunities, use their speed to break down Nashville's forecheck, and Bernier plays lights out, they'll have a great chance to pull off the upset.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

Maybe they aren't TRYING to be nice and humble but maybe they ARE nice and humble.

Just because this is the internet, it doesnt mean you have to be a loud-mouth jerk (not you particularly, just the internet in general).

Being a nice, pleasant person is rare on the internet these days but it doesnt mean that those who are are putting on a false front.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Maybe they aren't TRYING to be nice and humble but maybe they ARE nice and humble.

Just because this is the internet, it doesnt mean you have to be a loud-mouth jerk (not you particularly, just the internet in general).

Being a nice, pleasant person is rare on the internet these days but it doesnt mean that those who are are putting on a false front.

Yep, not everyone is actually as big of a dick as I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad