GDT: WCF - Game #4 Oilers host Avs 6pm MT: Just Win One Game, Then Work on the Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Oh the horror.

Most of us are just seeing a discussion. Sounds like you're starting to see this;

View attachment 556259

jk aside in life its never the case that you will convince others of your pov by tacitly claiming that any but your own views are "cringe worthy, horrible, dumb"

Yeah, I'm sorry. I guess I should be more open to opinions from posters who feel that the best-case scenario wouldn't have been Kane not making the hit and playing tonight, but to put Mckinnon in Kadri's place. LOL

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I guess my definition of defending would be a wide variety of things. Downplaying Kadri's injury (a broken thumb is a month+ injury). Downplaying the severity of the hit because it's "just a broken thumb", saying he intentionally turned into the boards to draw a check from behind. Saying he embellished it on the ice (broken thumbs hurt beyond belief), saying he "should have known better" etc.
Well by your definition Avs coach is also defending Kane. Read the article perhaps.
This is playoffs hockey as per Avs coach and injuries happen when you go the extra mile as it is expected at this stage of playoffs.

Time to stop the bitching and focus on the positives..
Holloway may play, Kane might be easier to extend past this season and no Kadri running around with his cheap antics.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yup. It's an awful hit, and anyone trying to defend it by saying

"A little thumb booboo"

"This hit happens every day"

just adds to the embarrassment.

It is a little booboo.

He'd barely even notice it once the adrenaline starts coming in. Draisaitl can't even f***ing walk after being slewfoot'd 5+ times, he's playing and playing at a high level.

Yet Kadri needs a thumb? For what? His gloves already welded on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah, I'm sorry. I guess I should be more open to opinions from posters who feel that the best-case scenario wouldn't have been Kane not making the hit and playing tonight, but to put Mckinnon in Kadri's place. LOL
Never stated that. Going strawman now and doubling down? Hockey happens fast. Kane was finishing a check there. he wasn't trying to put anybody in the hospital. He wasn't dumb, horrible, etc.

Like I say its easy to microanalyze everything in slow motion. In real time a player doesn't get that chance.

It is a little booboo.

He'd barely even notice it once the adrenaline starts coming in. Draisaitl can't even f***ing walk after being slewfoot'd 5+ times, he's playing and playing at a high level.

Yet Kadri needs a thumb? For what? His gloves already welded on.
Now you've done it. Gosh darn.

Kadri needs a thumb for sucking on silly. ;)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Never stated that. Going strawman now and doubling down? Hockey happens fast. Kane was finishing a check there. he wasn't trying to put anybody in the hospital. He wasn't dumb, horrible, etc.

Like I say its easy to microanalyze everything in slow motion. In real time a player doesn't get that chance.

Now you've done it. Gosh darn.

Kadri needs a thumb for sucking on silly. ;)
With the thumb out of play Kadri can....

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Anybody that hits as frequently as a Kane or Kassian does will end making a hit occasionally that is like this in the fast moving sport of hockey where play is often instinctive and rote rather than being able to think every ramification of a play in microseconds, and at speed.

Lucic charge hits people into the boards and its allowed. Frequently from behind. Loves to hit people unseen with all he's got. The NHL loves it.

Lucic is a common offender. I might say dumb, reckless in his regard because he's such a repeat offender.

Kane isn't dumb because his first response there is finishing a check. He's on a team in a desperate game 3 with HUGE game implications and he's trying to make a difference. No name calling of the player doing that is really required.
Just because Lucic does dumb, reckless things that doesn't make what Kane did any less dumb or reckless and lets be honest about a couple of things, Kane has a history of stuff like this as well and if Kane was playing for Colorado and did this to one of the Oilers best players, this place would be screaming bloody murder.

I love what Kane has brought to the team but I'm not going to sugarcoat his dangerous act just because he's an Oiler.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Just because Lucic does dumb, reckless things that doesn't make what Kane did any less dumb or reckless and lets be honest about a couple of things, Kane has a history of stuff like this as well and if Kane was playing for Colorado and did this to one of the Oilers best players, this place would be screaming bloody murder.

I love what Kane has brought to the team but I'm not going to sugarcoat his dangerous act just because he's an Oiler.
Well I think in my history I've shown that I can be somewhat non partisan in respect of players and that I love heavy hockey players that play with an edge and that are physical. Especially the type that will stand and be accountable.

I tend to not like Lucic because his hockey persona doesn't just stay on the ice. he is like that. An an aggressive moran. ;)

I loved Kane when he came here and we knew there would be some circus. But he's been great. If he never plays another game for the Oilers I still salute him and thanks for all the memories. He's been the best player acquisition since Pronger.

jmo but I don't want memories of Kane here to end with "stupid, dangerous, horrific" play and I'm not gonna just stand by the keyboard when such gets stated.(not saying you) I'm going to tacitly defend the player. Which I'm doing. I love Kane. Hope to see him again in Oilers silks.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Several people on the board felt Kadri did this and a fair number of players do turn into the boards when they sense such a hit. Pro players realize they can control the fall somewhat, but make it look good. Turning into the boards to get a call on a hit from behind is a tactic that people have called out multiple times. It adds its own danger.

My only surprise in the whole sequence is that Kadri didn't come back immediately on the 5 minute PP. lol at the broadcast milking this as well saying 15 times he's probably in concussion protocol. oh probably seriously injured and maimed.
I haven't heard what the injury is but I'd guess it isn't a back injury or a head injury. It's probably an arm or shoulder thing. It's still dirty but imo suspending him was all about the result and not so much the action. I'm still not offended by the suspension. I don't use logic that the reason a player should get away with something is because others got away with similar, or that other infractions in this series weren't called.

One comparable to the Nurse suspension is that the hit is very obvious. We Oiler fans like to bring up the injury to Yamamoto or the MacKinnon slewfoot but there is at least some grey area in those plays. The surface level of assessment of Kane's hit is all bad.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A Holloway debut? Awesome!

I think this is the perfect time for this. Our team needs a shakeup. Putting a young player with zero experience in a high pressure situation is normally bad, but I'd argue the pressure is off. If we lose and he's a reason why, no one will say he cost us the series. It's also possible he does really well

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
A Holloway debut is forsure a game too late and likely should have been put in game 1 of this series. Our bottom line has been invisible offensively and terrible defensively. The only thing they have done is hit some people. Holloway is likely a big upgrade defensively and at least has offensive upside, plus he can hit people

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Imagine Kadri made that hit on McDavid and took him out of the series. We’d be calling for Kadri to be kicked out of the league lol.

I get that DOPS is frustrating but Kane deserved a suspension for that hit.
Yes but how many times have we seen that hit on our guys go uncalled and undisciplined? If you think this has to do with the safety of all players you are not paying attention.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I haven't heard what the injury is but I'd guess it isn't a back injury or a head injury. It's probably an arm or shoulder thing. It's still dirty but imo suspending him was all about the result and not so much the action. I'm still not offended by the suspension. I don't use logic that the reason a player should get away with something is because others got away with similar, or that other infractions in this series weren't called.

One comparable to the Nurse suspension is that the hit is very obvious. We Oiler fans like to bring up the injury to Yamamoto or the MacKinnon slewfoot but there is at least some grey area in those plays. The surface level of assessment of Kane's hit is all bad.
Sorry, just don't agree. A slewfoot is bad all day, and its an intentional act, and a dangerous act. A hit into the boards, even a cross check into the boards happens commonly. I'll count the number of times it happens tonight. What doesn't occur as commonly is that the player being hit turns into the boards, instead of sideways to the boards. The hitter doesn't know the player being hit is going to make a "stupid" turn. Thats my take and if we disagree fine. If kadri turns away from the boards on that play it probably doesn't even get called.

Anyway back to the game.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Sorry, just don't agree. A slewfoot is bad all day, and its an intentional act, and a dangerous act. A hit into the boards, even a cross check into the boards happens commonly. I'll count the number of times it happens tonight. What doesn't occur as commonly is that the player being hit turns into the boards, instead of sideways to the boards. The hitter doesn't know the player being hit is going to make a "stupid" turn. Thats my take and if we disagree fine. If kadri turns away from the boards on that play it probably doesn't even get called.
I'm just looking at it cynically. Kane got suspended by how bad the hit looked, not by how dangerous it actually was, and the result of the hit adds to narrative of it. With the slewfoot for instance, it wasn't like a textbook example that you would use to explain what a slewfoot was. There's ambiguity he could cling to in that MacK can say he was just skating through Drai to the puck, just like how Kadri can hide behind how he crashed into Binnington. (like sorry, but just because another player nudged him doesn't change it to me. He barrelled in there knowing that crashing the goalie would be a distinct possibility, and that's being charitable to him, that he didn't engineer the whole thing just to crash the goalie and injure him on purpose).

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Well I think in my history I've shown that I can be somewhat non partisan in respect of players and that I love heavy hockey players that play with an edge and that are physical. Especially the type that will stand and be accountable.

I tend to not like Lucic because his hockey persona doesn't just stay on the ice. he is like that. An an aggressive moran. ;)

I loved Kane when he came here and we knew there would be some circus. But he's been great. If he never plays another game for the Oilers I still salute him and thanks for all the memories. He's been the best player acquisition since Pronger.

jmo but I don't want memories of Kane here to end with "stupid, dangerous, horrific" play and I'm not gonna just stand by the keyboard when such gets stated.(not saying you) I'm going to tacitly defend the player. Which I'm doing. I love Kane. Hope to see him again in Oilers silks.
I love heavy, physical play too. A big, clean, hit gets me fired up just as much as a big goal (of which Kane has made plenty of) but what Kane did in this instance was not physical hockey. It was reckless, dangerous hockey.

As I mentioned before, it wasn't vicious but you can't hit (push) a player in a vulnerable position in that area of the ice where they could easily lose their balance and slide into the board legs or head first. That could have easily led to a broken femur or severe concussion, or worse. I just really hate that play when I see it, makes me cringe.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Imagine Kadri made that hit on McDavid and took him out of the series. We’d be calling for Kadri to be kicked out of the league lol.

I get that DOPS is frustrating but Kane deserved a suspension for that hit.

If it was Kadri on McDavid we probably don't get a minor penalty and we have Hrudey talking all intermission about how Kadri let up and he doesn't mind the play.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
Yes but how many times have we seen that hit on our guys go uncalled and undisciplined? If you think this has to do with the safety of all players you are not paying attention.
So complain about that instead of trying to downplay the Kane hit. People trying to say Kadri dove, and Kane barely touched him are embarrassing themselves.

It was an undisciplined, dangerous hit and it just might cost his team the series. That’s on Kane and no one else.

DOPS look like idiots though. It’s ridiculous that there was no punishment for the Yams headshot and LAs UFC takedown on Drai.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad