GDT: WCF - Game #4 Oilers host Avs 6pm MT: Just Win One Game, Then Work on the Next

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
It is a bit embarrassing, I noted that in the GDT when it happened when people were actually applauding Kane's actions.

It was a dumb, reckless and dangerous play by Kane. I don't care that it's Kadri on the other end of it, that's the type of play that can potentially alter or end the career of a player. It wasn't a vicious push by Kane but it doesn't take much when a player is in that position that close to the boards to really cause damage.

Yup. It's an awful hit, and anyone trying to defend it by saying

"A little thumb booboo"

"This hit happens every day"

just adds to the embarrassment.

Reactions: geebster

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Enlighten me with some snapshots of how that play happens everyday games are played. I bet you can find some scattered videos throughout the years (Crosby, Hagel, Mcdavid against Ana), but that statement is complete and utter bullshit. It's a horrible, braindead hit.

DOPS is a joke yes. But it's honestly embarrassing to see Oiler fans somehow trying to spin it like it isn't a big deal.
I'm not going to lie or virtue signal to you. Hockey is a blood sport. Its a very dangerous game. I'm on record loving Raffi Torres and also loving Ronnie Lows 100 hits a game regimen. I love solid hits, belting hits how some people love hockey fights.

None of us here are angels watching pro hockey, and the NHL has never been about player safety. This is a league that hires lawyers and Bettman to detract such things as player deaths or debilitation due to such things as CTE.

Do I want to see players badly hurt. No. But do I want to see hockey be bubble wrapped to a No hitting, sanitized league? No.

Its playoff hockey, played with an edge and a ton of emotion. Its the fastest sport on Earth. yet we have people here (you) demonizing Kane for an in the moment hit that is routine in NHL hockey.

"A Horrible brain dead hit" Oh the horror. Why you mean to Kane? heh

Its easy for us to replay something 15 times and say "wow thats braindead, why did that idiot do that" I mean I get it we all have reactions. But players on the ice don't get do overs, they can't backwards frame it away and "choose" an alternate play. Hockey is too fast on the ice to process all things that occur on it in real time.

Wheres your comments on Landeskog taking out yamamoto with a head hit.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I'm not going to lie or virtue signal to you. Hockey is a blood sport. Its a very dangerous game. I'm on record loving Raffi Torres and also loving Ronnie Lows 100 hits a game regimen. I love solid hits, belting hits how some people love hockey fights.

None of us here are angels watching pro hockey, and the NHL has never been about player safety. This is a league that hires lawyers and Bettman to detract such things as player deaths or debilitation due to such things as CTE.

Do I want to see players badly hurt. No. But do I want to see hockey be bubble wrapped to a No hitting, sanitized league? No.

Its playoff hockey, played with an edge and a ton of emotion. Its the fastest sport on Earth. yet we have people here (you) demonizing Kane for an in the moment hit that is routine in NHL hockey.

"A Horrible brain dead hit" Oh the horror. Why you mean to Kane? heh

Its easy for us to replay something 15 times and say "wow thats braindead, why did that idiot do that" I mean I get it we all have reactions. But players on the ice don't get do overs, they can't backwards frame it away and "choose" an alternate play. Hockey is too fast on the ice to process all things that occur on it in real time.

Wheres your comments on Landeskog taking out yamamoto with a head hit.

Ok, so you can't find me snapshots where this happens every day? I didn't think so. Once or twice a year maybe. That sounds about right. I love hitting as well. But enjoying a player being in a vulnerable position and crossed checked 3+ into the boards? That's an odd thing to enjoy.

The two hits are not even in the same realm of severity (although both bad, don't get me wrong). If Yamo is not 5'7, it's a blindside hit to the chest and it's a non event. Whether Kadri is 5'7 or 6'5, Kane's hit has the chance to cause some significant damage. I didn't even need a replay to tell how dumb that hit was.

"routine hit" lol.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Nice hit by Kane in my opinion.

Holloway coming in to save our season. Wonder if we'll see one of Broberg/Niemo as well ...

With Stauffer and Lowetide both bringing up Holloway likely coming in, it must be happening. I'm so excited because I watched him through the Bako playoffs. In their last game of the season especially he put the team on his back. Guy is a beast. Taylor Hall style player out there with less overall skill but better puck control and more ferocity.

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
It's a really bad look for Oilers fans to be defending this hit or downplaying the severity of it. You can break a guy's neck doing that dumb shit. Just because the result isn't as severe doesn't change how stupid of a play it was.
Kadri should be smarter and protect himself in that circumstance. If he dumb enough to put himself at risk with the hopes of drawing a penalty then that’s on him as well. If you know a train is coming and you decide to keep running to cross the tracks with the hope of just seeing what happens it’s going to end badly for you. It’s a shame that Kane has to get a suspension because Kadri like the rest of the Avalanche are always trying to draw calls.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It is a bit embarrassing, I noted that in the GDT when it happened when people were actually applauding Kane's actions.

It was a dumb, reckless and dangerous play by Kane. I don't care that it's Kadri on the other end of it (even though, yes, there's a bit of karma at play here), that's the type of play that can potentially alter or end the career of a player. It wasn't a vicious push by Kane but it doesn't take much when a player is in that position that close to the boards to really cause damage.
Anybody that hits as frequently as a Kane or Kassian does will end making a hit occasionally that is like this in the fast moving sport of hockey where play is often instinctive and rote rather than being able to think every ramification of a play in microseconds, and at speed.

Lucic charge hits people into the boards and its allowed. Frequently from behind. Loves to hit people unseen with all he's got. The NHL loves it.

Lucic is a common offender. I might say dumb, reckless in his regard because he's such a repeat offender.

Kane isn't dumb because his first response there is finishing a check. He's on a team in a desperate game 3 with HUGE game implications and he's trying to make a difference. No name calling of the player doing that is really required.

Last edited:

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Kadri should be smarter and protect himself in that circumstance. If he dumb enough to put himself at risk with the hopes of drawing a penalty then that’s on him as well. If you know a train is coming and you decide to keep running to cross the tracks with the hood of just seeing what happens it’s going to end badly for you. It’s a shame that Kane has to get a suspension because Kadri like the rest of the Avalanche are always trying to draw calls.

Absolute cringe-worthy take. Not even worthy of further discussion.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Ok, so you can't find me snapshots where this happens every day? I didn't think so. Once or twice a year maybe. That sounds about right. I love hitting as well. But enjoying a player being in a vulnerable position and crossed checked 3+ into the boards? That's an odd thing to enjoy.

The two hits are not even in the same realm of severity (although both bad, don't get me wrong). If Yamo is not 5'7, it's a blindside hit to the chest and it's a non event. Whether Kadri is 5'7 or 6'5, Kane's hit has the chance to cause some significant damage. I didn't even need a replay to tell how dumb that hit was.

"routine hit" lol.
Lmao your preaching safety and then post this. So because Yamo is short headshots are allowed...gtfo already.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

"routine hit" lol.
Fair to say that we're both embellishing. But just the other day somebody linked an excellent rundown of around 8 plays that have happened just in the playoffs on what were very dirty plays. In the same Oilers-AV's game multiple dirty plays occurred. All of which can cause serious injury. Games get amped up like that in game 3 in the conference final with everything on the line. I mean I don't like what Mackinnon did to Drai twice, I think its dirty, but I've seen it both ways and seen Drai do the dirty stuff too. This is pro hockey, a money for hire blood sport with everything on the line. With millions at stake.

You think Daryl Katz is crying that Kane "finished" a check?

Kane more than any Oiler in the series has brought what the team needs to have success against the AV's. I'm sure not gonna deride him for it.

Reactions: oilers'72

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Small message for the oilers
1654528896147.gif

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If Kane did that to Mackinnon. The series would be 2-1 and we most likely win the series as well. We could use another Kane on the Oilers. Not less

Reactions: Porkleaker

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
It's a really bad look for Oilers fans to be defending this hit or downplaying the severity of it. You can break a guy's neck doing that dumb shit. Just because the result isn't as severe doesn't change how stupid of a play it was.
There is a lot of other dumb shit that happens in the game and this shove is no worse than Kadri pulling down Smith's mask.
Kadri got up fine and skated away from this hit and his flop.
No one is defending the hit but Karma is a b****

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
If Kane did that to Mackinnon. The series would be 2-1 and we most likely win the series as well. We could use another Kane on the Oilers. Not less

This is just..... so bad. Like as a legitimate fan of the game, how can you even think this is a good thought to express? If someone said this about McDavid, people would be screaming bloody murder on here.

There is a lot of other dumb shit that happens in the game and this shove is no worse than Kadri pulling down Smith's mask.
Kadri got up fine and skated away from this hit and his flop.
No one is defending the hit but Karma is a b****

Literally half this board is defending the hit 😂

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Absolute cringe-worthy take. Not even worthy of further discussion.
Its actually OK to have different views on things and to not denounce people who have different views than your own. You've shown your passion on this. Fine. Within a passionate sport. I get it. But its a discussion board and people get to have their say. I even let you take some runs at me and as much as that doesn't feel good, I consider it no harm no foul, and another day we'll agree on something.

I'm trying to be civil in exchange, but I'm not going to change my opinions to suit others views. Too much of that goes on in present day. jmo.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Enlighten me with some snapshots of how that play happens everyday games are played. I bet you can find some scattered videos throughout the years (Crosby, Hagel, Mcdavid against Ana), but that statement is complete and utter bullshit. It's a horrible, braindead hit.

DOPS is a joke yes. But it's honestly embarrassing to see Oiler fans somehow trying to spin it like it isn't a big deal.
The truth is somewhere in the middle .. the hype around this makes it seem like another Bertuzzi or Brashear/McSorely event. It was just a dangerous shove that Kadri couldn't or chose not to prepare for.

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China
This WCF experience has been life changing for me. I'm a born again hockey fan now. The men in stripes and penance from above has made me see the goal light of truth & righthumbness. Blessed are the divers, as they shall inherit the ice, face first.

Thus, I shall offer my holiest of all praises and cheer for the Avs:
LET'S GO!!! CHOKERS!!! LET'S GO!!! CHOKERS!!! LET'S CHOKE CHOKERS LET'S CHOKE!!!!
We hope... that you choke... that you choke....
Exit Music (for a WCF)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
This is just..... so bad. Like as a legitimate fan of the game, how can you even think this is a good thought to express? If someone said this about McDavid, people would be screaming bloody murder on here.

News to me if anyone is actually defending this hit as if it shouldn't be a penalty... Maybe they don't agree with suspension which makes good sense but no one I see is claiming it wasn't boarding

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Oh the horror.

Most of us are just seeing a discussion. Sounds like you're starting to see this;

1654529346167.png

jk aside in life its never the case that you will convince others of your pov by tacitly claiming that any but your own views are "cringe worthy, embarassing, horrible, dumb"

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
News to me if anyone is actually defending this hit as if it shouldn't be a penalty... Maybe they don't agree with suspension which makes good sense but no one I see is claiming it wasn't boarding

I guess my definition of defending would be a wide variety of things. Downplaying Kadri's injury (a broken thumb is a month+ injury). Downplaying the severity of the hit because it's "just a broken thumb", saying he intentionally turned into the boards to draw a check from behind. Saying he embellished it on the ice (broken thumbs hurt beyond belief), saying he "should have known better" etc.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Oh the horror.

Most of us are just seeing a discussion. Sounds like you're starting to see this;

View attachment 556259

jk aside in life its never the case that you will convince others of your pov by tacitly claiming that any but your own views are "cringe worthy, horrible, dumb"
He's on some kind of self imagined righteous crusade where he is the hero and the hoards of bad guys are against him.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Kadri's play style always has him near a player getting injured. Similar to Kneeordano. Nothing new to see here except he is on the receiving end for once. AVs are a better team without him.

Been a great season. We were able to cheer on this team to 57 wins so far. Hopefully still more to come.

Reactions: oilers'72 and frag2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad