WC: May 7 GDT - Sweden vs. Russia

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
I don't think we exactly have a gold medal team this year, we have only one NHL player (Steen), but I still wouldn't count us out. We always have a strong team.

Actually, I think Slovakia is good team for Sweden if they can shutdown one line and I think they can.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Congrats Russia.

That win was deserved.

But I have to say that it was a much better game then I could ever wish for.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Congrats Russia.

That win was deserved.

But I have to say that it was a much better game then I could ever wish for.
Agreed, I thought this game would be pretty boring, but it was entertaining to say the least. I guess it helped Russia had a fanatical crowd that didn't allow them to lay off and the Swedes felt they had to keep up.

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
I don't know the lyrics to the Russian anthem, so I'm singing the Soviet anthem ... the part about Stalin is the best!

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Good game. The Russians deserved to win, but I think both teams played pretty well.

I like what MÃ¥nsson adds in form of physical play and power, I hope he gets another chance. Kahnberg on the other hand can sit the rest of the tournament. Maybe Bremberg should sit too.. :(

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Anybody else thinks Eremenko is a lock # 1 for the medal round?

Nope.
He and the D's are the worrying points for the Russian team.

Now we are hitting the single game playoffs, now things are getting tough.

And Russia is this year's 'heaven or hell' team. Can very well go all the way, in style, or crash badly in the 1/4.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
I don't know the lyrics to the Russian anthem, so I'm singing the Soviet anthem ... the part about Stalin is the best!

Tsk tsk, if you're born in the 60's it's the 'hockey song', the one that was always played at the end of international tournaments.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Russia deserved to win this game. Sweden had to many giveaways in the third period, and that will never help you against anyone, especially the russians.

I am still happy about the overall swedish performance though. A bunch of SELers kept pace with a very skillfull russian team.

I still think it will be difficult to knock out Slovakia, but i wouldn't count the chickens yet.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
Eremenko is the best we have now. He didn't make any big mistakes today; no soft goals. Unless Nabokov can come (and assuming he ain't too tired or jet-legged), Eremenko should be our No 1 goalie..

Pushkin*

Russia 4 Czech 2
Slovakia 3 Sweden 2
Canada 5 Swiss 0
Finland 3 Usa 1

anyone agrees?

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I still think it will be difficult to knock out Slovakia, but i wouldn't count the chickens yet.

I don't know about that. They don't look that strong. But you can never know, as always with Czech/Slovak teams. They are tricky.

Vladiator

Jan 2, 2005
New Zealand
I liked the pressure from Russian players in the last 5 mins before the penalty kill. Sweden could not control the puck or get set up in the zone... Would be nice if Russia could pressure like this for 60 mins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad