WC: May 7 GDT - Sweden vs. Russia

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
I think it is said that Henriksson will play this game (if he is healthy).... otherwise Ersberg will play. BÃ…G is saving Backlund for the quarterfinal.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Bengt-Ã…ke Gustafsson said "We will not burn too much gunpowder in this game." Don't expect neither the Russians nor the Swedes to play with that much intensity in this meaningless game before the QF.

Ersberg will probably be in net, Henriksson seems to be sick.

LLl T O 17 O P

Apr 1, 2007
Moscow
Just have reviewed all goals in our net.
Koshechkin has made no mistakes!!!!!
Maybe his 1'st goal but there was a swiss guy who closed the vision to him.

2'nd and 3'rd were annoying ricochet from the skates of our def's!

So Great respect to our goalie Koshechkin!

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Gustafsson's brought in Magnus Kahnberg and Mattias Mansson to complete the roster. That means no more NHL dudes. That also means that tonight's team will, with one or two swaps, be the one to complete the tournament.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I dunno if Russia has any more spots to bring players, as the injuries suspensions are coming in...I mean are we gonna play with 10 forwards today???? I would ask Mozyakin to come...

Macman

May 15, 2004
It's a good thing they no longer allow ties otherwise this thing could end up 0-0 as both teams try to avoid the Czechs in the quarters.

The Swedes will win 1-0 in OT or a shootout because the Russians will do what it takes to lessen their chances of leaving without a medal at home.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
It's a good thing they no longer allow ties otherwise this thing could end up 0-0 as both teams try to avoid the Czechs in the quarters.

The Swedes will win 1-0 in OT or a shootout because the Russians will do what it takes to lessen their chances of leaving without a medal at home.
I think Sweden will have more problem with Slovakia and their offense, the czechs seems to be an easier opponent for us - on paper.

pappa jan

Jun 26, 2003
downtown
Visit site
Does anyone know if Månsson and Kahnberg will play?! Hedström is out, or so i've heard so that would mean one of them should play. I expect russia to win this game as i don't see BÅG risking any injuries in this one. In the post-show studio-interview yesterday, BÅG was very excited to hear the final result between the Czech Republic and Canada. Had Czech lost the game, (which they did BUT in OT) Germany could've taken the last QF spot with a win over Italy?! in the last game. Now we we'll meet either Czech or Slovakia depending on the outcome in the russia game.
BÃ…G's apperent interest in the game indicates (to me) that he doesn't care if we'll meet the Czech or Slovakia, but would try to win the game more if Germany in QF was in the pot.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
The Russians won't play to lose, not in Russia!!!

Noone is talking about 'play to lose'.

It's about using all players, roll the lines, don't get injuries (and no suspensions).

It's like the final game of a season when both teams are cleared for playoff and the seed doesn't really matter much.
Any sane coach in any league or tournament would try to win but with minimal impact on his team.

Yes you can argue if Cze or Svk is the easiest but the diff is minimal.

But no matter what, the real test for both teams is the next game, a single game quarter final.

Just imagine the reaction if both teams would play for their lives, Morozov getting hurt, Kenny Jönsson ejected and suspended, and both teams losing their quarters.

Heads would roll on both sides of the baltic sea.

Blame the format and/or the circumstances, but this one is a friendly.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Latest news:

Jonathan Hedström, Kenny Jönsson and Fredrik Warg will sit out tonight's game and both Kahnberg and Månsson are expected to play. Ersberg will be in goal with Backlund as the backup.

I believe the heavy hit Kenny sustained yesterday may be the reason to why he´s scratched.

http://www.hockeyligan.se/nyheter.php?nid=11497
(in swedish)

Madness

Feb 7, 2007
Noone is talking about 'play to lose'.

It's about using all players, roll the lines, don't get injuries (and no suspensions).

It's like the final game of a season when both teams are cleared for playoff and the seed doesn't really matter much.
Any sane coach in any league or tournament would try to win but with minimal impact on his team.

Yes you can argue if Cze or Svk is the easiest but the diff is minimal.

But no matter what, the real test for both teams is the next game, a single game quarter final.

Just imagine the reaction if both teams would play for their lives, Morozov getting hurt, Kenny Jönsson ejected and suspended, and both teams losing their quarters.

Heads would roll on both sides of the baltic sea.

Blame the format and/or the circumstances, but this one is a friendly.

Yes but in such games often individual efforts decide the outcome, and the way I see it the Russians want to win this more than the Swedes and have more "individual effort" players.

Pushkin*

Slovakia is the most dangerous opponent. In a one off game i'd be more scared by Demitra Hossa Gaborik Chara than Plekanec Vyborny Olesz and both team's goalie are capable of good and bad so I don't understand those who prefer playing Slovakia?? Tonight the game is to be won so to not face Gaborik and coe and to not face Canada in the 1/2... Russia 4-1

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Yes but in such games often individual efforts decide the outcome, and the way I see it the Russians want to win this more than the Swedes and have more "individual effort" players.

True.

But 'individual effort' can easily become 'stupid turnover'.

I do think that Russia will win this one, but it could very well go either way.

Madness

Feb 7, 2007
I think the Swedish team has some kind of a winning streak against team Czech republic.

dmonk

doughberle
Feb 13, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I think Slovakia is harder opponent to win this year.
This one should be a friendly game. I hope we will see some open hockey today.

Kind of the game "All stars" game we saw in Dallas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad