Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I can't see a future in which Hextall elects to keep Simmonds given that he's arguably made the harder call to ship Schenn out for futures.

I think another 1st and prospect is worth more to Hexy than it is to add marginal ES value to the 3rd line.
Agreed that Simmonds will have to go if his dollar ask is too high. You can't pay top line dollar for a 3RW, as good as he is at it and for the team. He's not irreplaceable on the PP: Allison, Strome and Ratcliffe are monsters with soft hands who could play that role eventually too. IF Wayne will take a smaller long term deal, he might stay. If he takes care of his family, he can find someone to pay him big bucks - so Hexy should get what he can while he can.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
IF Hextall re-signs Simmonds, he must be smart about it.

He has to have no NMC and have a declining amount of real money. This way, if he wishes to trade him in 2-3 years once Allison and Co are 100% ready, he can.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Agreed that Simmonds will have to go if his dollar ask is too high. You can't pay top line dollar for a 3RW, as good as he is at it and for the team. He's not irreplaceable on the PP: Allison, Strome and Ratcliffe are monsters with soft hands who could play that role eventually too. IF Wayne will take a smaller long term deal, he might stay. If he takes care of his family, he can find someone to pay him big bucks - so Hexy should get what he can while he can.

This x1000.

Reactions: kelmitchell

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
It was easy to ship Schenn to the highest bidder when the team was coming off a season where the only thing to look forward was the draft lottery.
And all that luck picking Morgan Frost and see his stock go through the roof this season...

We better get used to the idea of losing Simmonds for nothing more than a mediocre prospect and cap space. Anything on top of that is whipped cream on the cake. Not trying to be sarcastic, but the more I think about it I feel that is a realistic expectation. So many of those late first round picks amount to nothing.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It was easy to ship Schenn to the highest bidder when the team was coming off a season where the only thing to look forward was the draft lottery.
And all that luck picking Morgan Frost and see his stock go through the roof this season...

We better get used to the idea of losing Simmonds for nothing more than a mediocre prospect and cap space. Anything on top of that is whipped cream on the cake. Not trying to be sarcastic, but the more I think about it I feel that is a realistic expectation. So many of those late first round picks amount to nothing.

That's not luck, though - that's good scouting. That's what we have seen from our scouts over and over and over. What on Earth makes you think we are suddenly going to get a "mediocre prospect" out of it, and why are you so pessimistic about the return on Simmer? I don't understand the negativity here - it seems like it's pulled out of thin air.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

Our worst 1st rounders that are done developing the last 15 years are Laughton, Downie and Sbisa. We have a great record of drafting in the1st rd and getting a 1st +prospect for Simmonds just further deepens the prospect pool.

Take emotion out of it, and we can find a 25-30 point ES for 1-2 million.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
That's not luck, though - that's good scouting. That's what we have seen from our scouts over and over and over. What on Earth makes you think we are suddenly going to get a "mediocre prospect" out of it, and why are you so pessimistic about the return on Simmer? I don't understand the negativity here - it seems like it's pulled out of thin air.

I was thinking Downie, Sbisa, Laughton... just what Tripod wrote in the same seconds :laugh:
Getting a player not as good as Simmonds with the pick we get for him. The team is getting better and it will be harder to even crack the roster.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I remember a certain contrarian complaining about getting a late 1st in the Coburn trade because he "expected more" and the pick was "basically a 2nd rounder"...

If we don't get that pick we aren't able to jump up a few posts and get Konecny.

All first round picks have value.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
There was no highest bidder for Schenn. There was just one and the offer was too good for Hextall to say no

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
IF Hextall re-signs Simmonds, he must be smart about it.

He has to have no NMC and have a declining amount of real money. This way, if he wishes to trade him in 2-3 years once Allison and Co are 100% ready, he can.
He’d get a limited trade clause to make sure he doesn’t end up in Edmonton, Ottawa, or Arizona.

Reactions: BernieParent

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Two years ago Wayne scored 60 points, 32 of which were at 5on5.
143 games later and his 5on5 tally is 34 since.

Are we witnessing his decline?

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
He’d get a limited trade clause to make sure he doesn’t end up in Edmonton, Ottawa, or Arizona.
Might sound weird saying this (i know i threw up in my mouth a bit) but Edmonton could be a great spot for him, however i dont wanna do business with them Lol, id prefer sending him somewhere where they are beimg pressured to "win now" and we can take a 1st and a good prospect, easier said then done though

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Two years ago Wayne scored 60 points, 32 of which were at 5on5.
143 games later and his 5on5 tally is 34 since.

Are we witnessing his decline?
Seems so, his biggest asset for us is his net front presence in the pp, but patrick has already shown he can more than handle that role, so that makes him even more tradeable imo

Reactions: Tripod

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Might sound weird saying this (i know i threw up in my mouth a bit) but Edmonton could be a great spot for him, however i dont wanna do business with them Lol, id prefer sending him somewhere where they are beimg pressured to "win now" and we can take a 1st and a good prospect, easier said then done though

It is a good spot for him, and they have pieces we could use, and their GM is frequently very stupid. They suck, obviously, but we could fleece them.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
So big question of mine, say we move simmonds, who takes the "A" for me it has to be ghost, provy, or couts (@boxcar65) we know your answer big guy)

My guess would be Couturier, but it's hard to know, since none of us are in the locker room, and thats what something like that is based off of. I don't think the majority of us were expecting PEB and MacDonald to get it, so it wouldnt surprise me to see someone like Gudas get it. The rest of the roster just seems so young (finally).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad