Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I think Hex will try to re-sign him this summer for reasonable money. There's no sense of trading Simmer at the draft.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Simmonds I’m pretty sure said he only wanted to play till he was 35. That would make his extension 4 years. He would demand top dollar. It all comes down to what other players asking prices are too. I think Provorov is going to get an 8 year deal worth around 6.75-7 million per year. Cap increasing as well could mean they could possibly do a 4 year - 28 million type deal.

Also, the one thing I don’t know for sure but that locker seems like they love him. He is a veteran leader of the team and as fans we take players for granted sometimes with what they do in the locker room and off the ice. He is a well respected player in those doors and I believe the players more than likely don’t want to see him go. I know I know, it’s a business but you have to weigh that into the equation as well before making the decisions. I’ve always believed they really want him around so I think he signs an extension.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think he extends if he will take 4 years. It will be his decision.

I also think Hextall will factor in Expansion and a potential Compliance Buy-out from next CBA.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
If Simmonds were to agree to a short term, team-friendly deal - 3/4 years - I'd be ok with it. But he shouldn't do that. He should absolutely cash in and get the 6/7 x 5 or 6 that he deserves. By all accounts he loves the area, but im not sure he loves it enough to give up half his salary. This will be the one time he can take a money contract, and I wouldnt fault him at all to do it.

It's been a great run with Simmer, but it's time to sunset this one.

Reactions: klutch

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Agreed with the above 2 posts, if Simmer will take a favourable term and home town discount - he will stay. I think he and the FO would like to make it so. Character guy, and I feel like someone out there needs to be able to keep other teams honest..

If not, we will likely get a decent haul, especially if he makes some noise in the PO's

Personally, I hope they can get the deal done to keep him around, but i'm ok either way.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
The point in trading him is to avoid the **** storm the Flyers and many other teams have made and/or continue to make. Teams get themselves into trouble when they try to keep the band together longer than it should.

We all saw the Phillies do it by handing out albatross contracts like they were candy. The Hawks did it and are now teetering on becoming a dumpster fire. The Pens will be in trouble soon as well. Only difference between those teams and the Flyers situation, is they have trophies to show for it.

How does resigning him get us in trouble when we’ll have more than enough cap space? If we were against the cap that logic would apply. But we won’t be for a very long time. It’s a non factor.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
How does resigning him get us in trouble when we’ll have more than enough cap space? If we were against the cap that logic would apply. But we won’t be for a very long time. It’s a non factor.

Plenty of Cap space in 19-20, but also just about no one under contract. 9 players making 37 mil in cap. Let's assume a 5 mil cap increase, so, that gives us 42 mil to sign to sign 14 players.

Provorov is going to take approximately 7 of that.
Konecny will largely depend on what he does next year so maybe a short bridge? 3x3?
Raffl and Laughton are presumable re-signed at lets call it 2.5 a piece. theres another 5

4 players signed and we just chewed through 15, so now we need 10 players and we're down to 27$ mil with no goalies signed,

Hagg and Sanheim will need new deals in that time, and i believe Myers as well, assuming they all stat.

While the cap situation isn't "dire", adding a 6 million dollar 3rd liner (Konecny and Voracek are likely to be long term RW options) would certainly complicate things, and isnt a wise use of cap space for anything other than meeting the floor.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What’s the difference between Simmonds and Schenn in trading one but not the other? Trading Schenn made sense with the plan, this makes even more sense due to contract and age. The only difference is “intangibles,” which Hextall fetishizes. Of course they have a strong room and will survive, but he might be too wary of losing his voice. And if that’s the primary reason for signing a 30+ guy long term, not on-ice worth, that makes ME wary.

That's the sloppy thinking I expect from Striiker, not you.
Yes, Hextall values intangibles, but WHICH intangibles?

Simmonds has some, he's a team player, tough, will go to the net and take the punishment.
But what intangible is highest on the Hextall list?
Hockey IQ - and that is not Simmonds' strong point.
He simply doesn't have a good feel for defense and back checking 5x5.

As far as just "talent," Simmonds can skate without the puck but is a below average puck handler which slows down his effective skating, nor does he have either Konecny's burst or hands, so he can't create open ice scoring opportunities.

With Patrick filling out this summer, and the addition of Lindblom, Simmonds' value to this team has declined.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
Yes there is. That’s exactly when you trade him.

They have to decide by the draft to maximize the return.
What return? Don't we have enough prospects? We already have 2 firsts at this draft, you want the third one? We need Simmonds much more than another prospect.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Plenty of Cap space in 19-20, but also just about no one under contract. 9 players making 37 mil in cap. Let's assume a 5 mil cap increase, so, that gives us 42 mil to sign to sign 14 players.

Provorov is going to take approximately 7 of that.
Konecny will largely depend on what he does next year so maybe a short bridge? 3x3?
Raffl and Laughton are presumable re-signed at lets call it 2.5 a piece. theres another 5

4 players signed and we just chewed through 15, so now we need 10 players and we're down to 27$ mil with no goalies signed,

Hagg and Sanheim will need new deals in that time, and i believe Myers as well, assuming they all stat.

While the cap situation isn't "dire", adding a 6 million dollar 3rd liner (Konecny and Voracek are likely to be long term RW options) would certainly complicate things, and isnt a wise use of cap space for anything other than meeting the floor.

Take off Macdonald’s 5. Konecny will probably get the same deal Schenn and Coots got. We’re in great shape in that front

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What return? Don't we have enough prospects? We already have 2 firsts at this draft, you want the third one? We need Simmonds much more than another prospect.

I would actually prefer to take an additional 2019 first, especially from a team that could easily crap out - like the flames.

In order to stay competitive, you need to be able to bring players along and move players out - like the Hawks did for a few years. They unfortunately just ran out of road because they held on to people until they absolutely had to get rid of them, and lost some value on the return.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
If they do sign Simmonds, it will likely suppress Patricks points total, and make him cheaper. Patrick has 4 PP points on the season....2 since Simmonds got hurt since he moved to the top unit. So with SImmonds here, Patrick stays at the #2 unit, and his points decline.

I just can't justify offering a contract to someone who is already our #3RW and getting older, a 5+ million dollar contract for 4-6 years. It just does not make any sense when his ES points can be covered by a guy making 1-2 million.

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
I would actually prefer to take an additional 2019 first, especially from a team that could easily crap out - like the flames.

In order to stay competitive, you need to be able to bring players along and move players out - like the Hawks did for a few years. They unfortunately just ran out of road because they held on to people until they absolutely had to get rid of them, and lost some value on the return.
We cannot trade Simmer until we have a surefire replacement. Lindblom haven't proved it yet.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We cannot trade Simmer until we have a surefire replacement. Lindblom haven't proved it yet.

We also cant afford to re-sign him for 6Mil+ to play on the third line. His production is too tilted to PP to justify paying that. I'd rather sell him for something this year at the draft, and sign a FA if need be for the 3rd/4th line then commit term and money to Simmonds.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Filppula has more ES points than Simmonds this year. Laughton and Raffl have 3 less.

Last year and this year combined, Simmonds is on pace for 27 ES points per season.

We can replace that at a much cheaper rate, and let Patrick take over the PP just like we did with Couts taking over Schenn.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What if you’re trading 2 for Karlsson?

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I hope he is re-signed because I like the way he plays, and by having him on the team with as many young players they have he can be a mentor to the younger forwards. He also seems like a nice guy, and I've heard that he loves the fans.
He's had a tough season so far because I think he may have been playing through an injury, but even still he has over 20 goals!
Please keep Simmer!

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
We also cant afford to re-sign him for 6Mil+ to play on the third line. His production is too tilted to PP to justify paying that. I'd rather sell him for something this year at the draft, and sign a FA if need be for the 3rd/4th line then commit term and money to Simmonds.
Of course we can't, but at first we should try to re-sign him for reasonable money and if we fail than we can trade him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He can’t sign for any more than 3 years and I don’t think I’d go above 4.8m or so. That’s without looking at compareables. Hornqvist would be one though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad