Speculation: Wayne Simmonds - trade destination?

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Would Simmonds and Phillys 2-1sts get the 2nd overall pick? Svechnikov would be a nice addition to the Flyers.

It's possible, but unlikely, for all the reasons @Starat327 mentioned. But I think you'd absolutely be able to get the 4th or 5th overall with that package.

Arizona and Edmonton would both potentially be interested. Arizona needs a reliable scoring winger more than anything, especially one that plays physical. And they, like Edmonton, will be looking to make the playoffs next season.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
It's possible, but unlikely, for all the reasons @Starat327 mentioned. But I think you'd absolutely be able to get the 4th or 5th overall with that package.

Arizona and Edmonton would both potentially be interested. Arizona needs a reliable scoring winger more than anything, especially one that plays physical. And they, like Edmonton, will be looking to make the playoffs next season.

Ya, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable trading 2-1sts AND Simmonds for a guy who might end up scoring like Simmonds. I get the age difference...but I'd want a Svechnikov like talent for that package...not Tkachuk.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't know why folks think that "bottom feeders" would trade so much for Simmons, who has just one year on his contract. He seems like the ideal player that a playoff team (including the Flyers) need.
Even if he isn't resigned by the Flyers during the season, good teams don't worry about upcoming UFAs, they are trying to win now.
I'm sure Simmons will get lots of interest as a UFA, but still think there is excellent chance the Flyers would sign him before that.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ya, I'm not so sure I'd be comfortable trading 2-1sts AND Simmonds for a guy who might end up scoring like Simmonds. I get the age difference...but I'd want a Svechnikov like talent for that package...not Tkachuk.

Id much prefer to take the Thompson + Wpg 1st offer, then package Either ours or STL 1st with that to move up where we can. Grab Thompson, and still have 2 sts this year. I imagine Winnipeg(assume 26) + blues(15) should get us to the 10ish range or so, maybe a little higher, depening on the team?

So 10th + 19th(flyers) and Thompson - id say that's a nice haul to take out of the draft.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't know why folks think that "bottom feeders" would trade so much for Simmons, who has just one year on his contract. He seems like the ideal player that a playoff team (including the Flyers) need.
Even if he isn't resigned by the Flyers during the season, good teams don't worry about upcoming UFAs, they are trying to win now.
I'm sure Simmons will get lots of interest as a UFA, but still think there is excellent chance the Flyers would sign him before that.

NJo one thinks bottom feeders are interested. But there are quite a few teams drafting in the top 10 that aren't 'bottom feeders', or at least, shouldn't be. Oilers and Hawks come to mind.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

And I don't blame you.

I'm not a Flyers fan, and I only somewhat follow the Coyotes. So I can't get too specific from either side. But I like to point out that Arizona is definitely a team that will draft high, but expects to win next year.

Plus they made a very similar trade at last year's draft. 7th overall for established players in Stepan and Raanta. I don't think you'll find many other recent examples of teams willing to do this kind of trade.

Whatever the price is, if Simmonds is available I expect Arizona to be interested. If the cost is a high pick, I think they're one of the only teams that will be willing to deal.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I’d love him in St. Louis. We need a top 6 RHS. How about a basis of Thompson and the WPG 1st? He wasn’t exactly ready for NHL time this year but injuries made it happen.
You're would be great partner for us. You have so many young wingers like Kyrou, Fabbri, Thompson. I like that!

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Anyway, I really want trade Simmer away. And I would be happy if we get 1st round pick for him.

Do it, Ron!

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Id much prefer to take the Thompson + Wpg 1st offer, then package Either ours or STL 1st with that to move up where we can. Grab Thompson, and still have 2 sts this year. I imagine Winnipeg(assume 26) + blues(15) should get us to the 10ish range or so, maybe a little higher, depening on the team?

So 10th + 19th(flyers) and Thompson - id say that's a nice haul to take out of the draft.

I'm getting to the point where it's time for "quality" over "quantity' for Hextall. Thompson and those picks are fine...but at some point there may not be enough room for all these picks/prospects.

Getting a sniper like Svechnikov could really help put the Flyers on another level going forward. He's not so bad in other areas of the game either. Obviously you need a trade partner...but I've really enjoyed watching this kid play this year.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
For no assets, sure but the Leafs would have to give up stuff for those guys.
If Simmonds was a UFA, whole different story.

Maybe the Leafs just wait a year as you suggest. Marner, Brown, Kapanen and Nylander (if he continues at RW) are already stacked at RW. If the Leafs give up assets, it would likely be for a RHD or centre. Though I certainly would like to Simmons on the Leafs, Flyers if did trade him would like get better offers than the Leafs.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
You're would be great partner for us. You have so many young wingers like Kyrou, Fabbri, Thompson. I like that!
Indeed. The Blues are stacked with good young winger prospects, but as a lottery team, I'd rather keep those young wingers and let them play next year to see what we have then take a top 10 pick next year and fill in the needs and move that young core forward. We really won't be Cup competitive until 2020-2021 in the very good Central as we have to wait for the center and goalie depth to come up and mature (Schenn is our only real offensive center left and Husso hasn't step foot on NHL ice yet). No sense trading for a player who is impact is greatest now when the rest of the team isn't ready.

Next season is a continuing re-tool/mini-rebuild for the Blues. Simmonds from 3-4 years ago would fit nicely, but I think the window for the Blues doesn't line up with his age and next contract.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
It seems like it would make more sense for the Flyers to keep him. They're turning things around fairly quickly and should be a playoff team again next year if their kids continue to improve.

I can't imagine their scoring depth without Simmonds though. If they're on the outs for some reason, they can move him at the deadline.

Not really:

1. Patrick has now replaced him on PP1 netfront/been more effective when there.
2. Konecny+Voracek are ahead of him in RW pecking order.
3. He cant play LW (and Giroux+Lindblom are there).
4. His EV scoring can be replaced/close to replaced by a ~30pt third line winger.
5. We have Aube-Kubel, Allison, Laczynski coming very soon... all play RW.
6. He can PK well but the Flyers have a lot of good PKing forwards (wish the same could be said for the Dmen.)

He can still be a valuable player for a play-off team... but the team has to fit several specific criteria, I.E.

1. He is 1st or 2nd best RW.
2. He can play net-front on PP1.
3. The team is in win-now mode.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I'm getting to the point where it's time for "quality" over "quantity' for Hextall. Thompson and those picks are fine...but at some point there may not be enough room for all these picks/prospects.

Getting a sniper like Svechnikov could really help put the Flyers on another level going forward. He's not so bad in other areas of the game either. Obviously you need a trade partner...but I've really enjoyed watching this kid play this year.

I think we need another 'impact' prospect as well, I just don't think we'll be able to slip in to the top 5 without giving up all 3 picks (assuming Simmonds is traded for one), in which case im more than content to do what I listed above (8-10 + 17th).

Reality is, two years down the road we're going to be in a precarious situation with a looming expansion draft and potentially staring at Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, and Myers that need protection on D, with G, Jake, Patrick, Couturier at a minimum needing protection on the forwards... It sucks, but we need to plan for that now as well.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I get the feeling that Simmonds is playing injured right now. He hasn't looked quite himself lately. A full year of Simmonds is probably worth a 1st (depending on where it is)+a B-level prospect.

Ideally, the Simmonds trade would be for a young player who is almost ready to contribute in the NHL. Maybe someone like Kyrou.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
And I don't blame you.

I'm not a Flyers fan, and I only somewhat follow the Coyotes. So I can't get too specific from either side. But I like to point out that Arizona is definitely a team that will draft high, but expects to win next year.

Plus they made a very similar trade at last year's draft. 7th overall for established players in Stepan and Raanta. I don't think you'll find many other recent examples of teams willing to do this kind of trade.

Whatever the price is, if Simmonds is available I expect Arizona to be interested. If the cost is a high pick, I think they're one of the only teams that will be willing to deal.

I'd certainly be willing to offer up the later 1st and Simmonds for Arizona's pick + in some capacity, if Arizona is going down that road. I know arizona doesnt have their 2nd, but something comparable would be of interest.

I still think Thompson +1st is the best i've seen in this thread though, with a big bodied, almost ready player, and another 1st coming back, keeping an eye to the future for the looming ED.

Reactions: iSophagus

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Stars, Flames, Panthers fans; any interest? I have my eye on your first rounder.
Simmonds would be perfect for the Flames. Or at least the Simmonds from a couple of years ago, haven't followed him much lately and some people here are suggesting he's about to go full Lucic.
We don't have any picks though so it'd have to be a trade for a D prospect or two.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
And I don't blame you.

LOVE Simmonds and would love to add him if he’s available as he’d add the toughness and physicality lacking on our young roster.

That said, we traded the 7OA last year in a weaker top 10 of a draft for a 2C and a starting goalie who was arguably the best goaltender in the league since Jan 1st. And both are locked up for the next few years. With a stronger top end of the draft this year where we’re in prime position to draft either a top line forward or top pairing D talent, there’s no chance of our lotto pick moving, especially for someone with just a year left on his contract.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
So then what was all that talk from Gorton about rebuilding....signing Kovalchuk doesn't scream rebuild to me..

Weiss1604

Mar 27, 2017
Wales
I think we need another 'impact' prospect as well, I just don't think we'll be able to slip in to the top 5 without giving up all 3 picks (assuming Simmonds is traded for one), in which case im more than content to do what I listed above (8-10 + 17th).

Reality is, two years down the road we're going to be in a precarious situation with a looming expansion draft and potentially staring at Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Morin, and Myers that need protection on D, with G, Jake, Patrick, Couturier at a minimum needing protection on the forwards... It sucks, but we need to plan for that now as well.
Your making far too much sense with your spot on reasoning , this is hfboards you know lol . The only spanner in the works for your common sense posts is if St Louis wins the draft lottery & picks in the top 3 , can't see us ever trading for Simmonds if we have a ready made top 6 right winger , it would also be karma for the horrendous injuries we have suffered this year . Oh & good luck wednesday , Hextall has set you up pretty damn well to be annual contenders from now on . Another thing i've seen philly play probably 8 times this year & Provorov has been incredible every game , offensively+ defensively , is he always that good? Think he's only going to get better too which is damn scary for every other team in the metro .

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
LOVE Simmonds and would love to add him if he’s available as he’d add the toughness and physicality lacking on our young roster.

That said, we traded the 7OA last year in a weaker top 10 of a draft for a 2C and a starting goalie who was arguably the best goaltender in the league since Jan 1st. And both are locked up for the next few years. With a stronger top end of the draft this year where we’re in prime position to draft either a top line forward or top pairing D talent, there’s no chance of our lotto pick moving, especially for someone with just a year left on his contract.

All good points.

I'm not saying move the pick before the lottery even happens. But Arizona could fall as low as 6th overall, and the offer in this thread was Simmonds with 2 other 1st rounders, both of them being in the teens I believe. That has to be an offer with a chance to entice Arizona.

I think the Arizona 1st for Simmonds plus is a possibility. But it depends on where the Arizona pick ends up, anywhere from 1 to 6. And it depends on what Philly is willing to include, both 1sts or just one. Chayka might still decline, even at the best terms. We can't know. But we don't really know if Simmonds is even available. It just seems possible to me.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Would you trade it for Karlsson?

All good points.

I'm not saying move the pick before the lottery even happens. But Arizona could fall as low as 6th overall, and the offer in this thread was Simmonds with 2 other 1st rounders, both of them being in the teens I believe. That has to be an offer with a chance to entice Arizona.

I think the Arizona 1st for Simmonds plus is a possibility. But it depends on where the Arizona pick ends up, anywhere from 1 to 6. And it depends on what Philly is willing to include, both 1sts or just one. Chayka might still decline, even at the best terms. We can't know. But we don't really know if Simmonds is even available. It just seems possible to me.

Even worst case scenario at falling to 6OA there’s still a very good chance talent like Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, or Smith is available. Don’t see Chayka passing that up for quite possibly one year of Simmonds.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
He'd be a perfect fit for the Stars, but I think that the assets required to land him would be better used to acquire a 2C.

What would the ask look like? Assuming that Dallas won't trade their 1st because they are hosting the draft (seems to be a popular opinion).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad