Speculation: Wayne Simmonds - trade destination?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Your making far too much sense with your spot on reasoning , this is hfboards you know lol . The only spanner in the works for your common sense posts is if St Louis wins the draft lottery & picks in the top 3 , can't see us ever trading for Simmonds if we have a ready made top 6 right winger , it would also be karma for the horrendous injuries we have suffered this year . Oh & good luck wednesday , Hextall has set you up pretty damn well to be annual contenders from now on . Another thing i've seen philly play probably 8 times this year & Provorov has been incredible every game , offensively+ defensively , is he always that good? Think he's only going to get better too which is damn scary for every other team in the metro .

Lol, thanks.

Yeah i mean if you guys end up getting in the lottery, I'm fairly ok with that too. Obviously i'd prefer the lower pick, but as i stated above - i'm not against having a pick in 2019 just to not overfill the cupboards all at once, so to speak - again, looking towards the eventual expansion draft, having another player a few years away might not hurt, especially since we seem to be in ok shape now.

Provorov generally looks that way every game. Recently he's looked a little run down, and made some mistakes he doesnt typically make, but he's a 21 year old trying to adjust to playing 82 games at 24+ mins a night on average. I think a little fatigue is to be expected.

Provorov, to me, is probably one of the better young D in the league, and while this may sound like a typical hf homer comment - he doesnt get the recognition he deserves. Its likely because his point production isnt as fascinating as some of the other guys(though he tied Hedman and Hamilton for the NHL lead in goals this year), but that comes from Ghost getting to QB the top PP, and our 2nd PP being abysmal. We use Provorov more for 5v5 and PK than anything else, and im perfectly ok with that. If anything, maybe itll help keep his next contract price down :)

Reactions: Weiss1604

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
He fits our needs in that he's a RHS RW with net front presence. Where he doesn't fit is his age as compared to our present core, and his up coming contract.
Which is why Stl shouldn't trade for him. If this deal was on the table over last summer, sure. But going into next season, no.

Reactions: Weiss1604

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
He'd be a perfect fit for the Stars, but I think that the assets required to land him would be better used to acquire a 2C.

What would the ask look like? Assuming that Dallas won't trade their 1st because they are hosting the draft (seems to be a popular opinion).

Personally if I were Hextall I would ask for Radek Faksa... but Stars want better centres, not depleting the center spot. If that is no go then something around Tufte+.

I personally like Hintz as well.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Simmonds should probably go for a mid to late first round pick and a good (not great) prospect. I agree that Dallas makes sense but I don't see them moving the 13th pick for Simmonds and I don't see the Flyers taking a future first round pick as part of a deal for Simmonds.

Winnpeg's first and either Fabbri, Thompson or Kyrou would be fair compensation in my opinion. I can't see the Blues giving up a three first round pick in two straight drafts though.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Simmonds should probably go for a mid to late first round pick and a good (not great) prospect. I agree that Dallas makes sense but I don't see them moving the 13th pick for Simmonds and I don't see the Flyers taking a future first round pick as part of a deal for Simmonds.

Winnpeg's first and either Fabbri, Thompson or Kyrou would be fair compensation in my opinion. I can't see the Blues giving up a three first round pick in two straight drafts though.
That just won't happen from a Blues perspective. There are a lot of teams who are better fits than the Blues.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
That just won't happen from a Blues perspective. There are a lot of teams who are better fits than the Blues.
Which is EXACTLY what I said. I only brought it up because a Blues fan offered up Thompson and Winnipeg's first earlier in the thread and thought based on value it was fair.

Reactions: 67Blues

Philadelphia Ducks

Win it for Ed
May 8, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Id rather keep Simmonds for another season, use him as a role model for our younger players to look up to, he's a great locker room guy obviously as he's been given the A for numerous seasons, fight for the playoffs again, and then lose him for nothing. Then trade him now and get another 1st round pick. Our prospect pool is loaded, we still have 2 1st round picks this season or next, I really dont think we 'need' more, we need to get these guys some leadership and experience on how to play the right way as a pro, and Simmonds can help teach that. Plus he's still a solid hockey player and can help our PP2 if we keep Patrick on the 1st. Every year we bitch about how shit our second PP unit is.

Reactions: captainpaxil

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Even worst case scenario at falling to 6OA there’s still a very good chance talent like Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, Dobson, Boqvist, Bouchard, Hughes, or Smith is available. Don’t see Chayka passing that up for quite possibly one year of Simmonds.

It's all about winning though isn't it? There's a chance Chayka looks at it and thinks the picks aren't working and he needs some talent on the roster now.

Hope so anyway, i really think this is the right deal.

Reactions: iSophagus

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
It's all about winning though isn't it? There's a chance Chayka looks at it and thinks the picks aren't working and he needs some talent on the roster now.

Hope so anyway, i really think this is the right deal.

A top six pick for Simmonds. Well, hope away then.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I've just been through most of the thread and haven't seen anything of the like. Most of them suggesting a package including Simmonds and 1/2 firsts depending on where the pick lies.

You need to read the last page a little more closely:

I'd certainly be willing to offer up the later 1st and Simmonds for Arizona's pick + in some capacity, if Arizona is going down that road. I know arizona doesnt have their 2nd, but something comparable would be of interest.

And I don't blame you.

I'm not a Flyers fan, and I only somewhat follow the Coyotes. So I can't get too specific from either side. But I like to point out that Arizona is definitely a team that will draft high, but expects to win next year.

Plus they made a very similar trade at last year's draft. 7th overall for established players in Stepan and Raanta. I don't think you'll find many other recent examples of teams willing to do this kind of trade.

Whatever the price is, if Simmonds is available I expect Arizona to be interested. If the cost is a high pick, I think they're one of the only teams that will be willing to deal

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You need to read the last page a little more closely:

You failed to bold the "1st and" part of the one quote. And you are intentionally picking the one part of my post that could possibly be distorted into sounding like "top 6 pick for Simmonds". I was very clearly discussing an offer of a package that was Philly's two 1st rounders and Simmonds.

Stop twisting things to sound like anyone was demanding Arizona's pick straight up for Simmonds. No one said that, even once. I certainly never said that. @1865 never said that.

If you are somehow looking for people to acknowledge that it wouldn't happen, allow me to indulge you. That wouldn't happen. Arizona would not trade that pick, be it 1st overall or 6th overall, for the one remaining year of Wayne Simmonds.

With that out of the way, a 6th overall (or a similar early pick) might be traded for Simmonds and two 1st rounders. If a team like Arizona, Chicago, Edmonton or whomever would consider it is worth chatting about.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad