Speculation: Wayne Simmonds - trade destination?

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Wayne Simmonds is a good candidate to be traded this offseason -- he has one year left on his contract, Flyers have depth at RW, and Patrick has proven capable to supplant him on the PP.

If the Flyers made Simmonds available, what teams would be most interested and what would they offer?

I imagine the ideal trading partner would be:
- a playoff contender or bubble team
- in need of a right-handed net-front presence on the PP
- relatively weak at RW
- has the cap space to offer an extension

Considering these criteria, I think possible destinations could be: Dallas, Calgary, St. Louis, Florida, Colorado, and Columbus.

I'd also imagine the Flyers would likely want value in futures (picks/prospects).

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Toronto please, I know people will say we don't need wingers but you go get this guy if you can.
I'm not sure giving up assets for a less productive, albeit tougher version of JVR is a good idea when TO is about to let him walk for nothing.

Reactions: Kurtz

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Columbus doesn't actually meet the latter two criteria unless the cap goes up considerably the year after next, because while we do have space, we need it to retain Panarin and Bobrovsky and Werenski. (And we've already got Atkinson and Anderson, with Bjorkstrand steadily improving).

Simmonds would indeed be welcome, but the situation isn't quite ideal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
He’s got a wicked shot, size(6ft5in, needs to put on about 10-15lbs), and I see his floor as a RH Patrik Berglund. Ceiling a 30g 25a guy.

I may be in the minority here, but I'd probably do that.

I'd then hope I could flip that WPG 1st and either the flyers/blues 1st to move uto 10 ish.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Wayne Simmonds is a good candidate to be traded this offseason -- he has one year left on his contract, Flyers have depth at RW, and Patrick has proven capable to supplant him on the PP.

If the Flyers made Simmonds available, what teams would be most interested and what would they offer?

I imagine the ideal trading partner would be:
- a playoff contender or bubble team
- in need of a right-handed net-front presence on the PP
- relatively weak at RW
- has the cap space to offer an extension

Considering these criteria, I think possible destinations could be: Dallas, Calgary, St. Louis, Florida, Colorado, and Columbus.

I'd also imagine the Flyers would likely want value in futures (picks/prospects).
Edmonton? Even with McD they ended up at 14.8%. 31st in the league!

member 290103

I know Simmonds would probably love to play for Vancouver, but I am not sure they go that hard after him. The price would likely be too high.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Cross off Colorado from that list, Avs aren't in a position to give up assets for a luxury winger.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
It seems like it would make more sense for the Flyers to keep him. They're turning things around fairly quickly and should be a playoff team again next year if their kids continue to improve.

I can't imagine their scoring depth without Simmonds though. If they're on the outs for some reason, they can move him at the deadline.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I really like Simmonds but to give up assets and then sign long term is counter productive when we could offer JVR a deal instead. Save the assets and get the same role filled (without the toughness)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It seems like it would make more sense for the Flyers to keep him. They're turning things around fairly quickly and should be a playoff team again next year if their kids continue to improve.

I can't imagine their scoring depth without Simmonds though. If they're on the outs for some reason, they can move him at the deadline.

Scoring depth? Simmonds is a marginal 5v5 player and his spot on PP1 has been taken over by Patrick recently. We have kids that will likely come in and put up as many even strength points as soon as next year.

His leadership is really the only thing that he brings that we cant easily replace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->