Speculation: Wayne Simmonds - trade destination?

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Scoring depth? Simmonds is a marginal 5v5 player and his spot on PP1 has been taken over by Patrick recently. We have kids that will likely come in and put up as many even strength points as soon as next year.

His leadership is really the only thing that he brings that we cant easily replace.

Didn't he play most of the season on a 3rd line with Patrick (an 18 year old C) and Weal? Could that have something to do with it? Who do you see replacing him as soon as October?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Didn't he play most of the season on a 3rd line with Patrick (an 18 year old C) and Weal? Could that have something to do with it? Who do you see replacing him as soon as October?

He's been playing with flip of late. Voracek is playing with Patrick .....and Lindblom.

Aube-Kubel likely gets his minutes.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, I'd probably have to take that deal too. Then I'd look to package the Blues first and the Peg first to move up and take tkachuk as a future replacement for Simmonds (really the only thing we are missing in our prospect pool, a physical net front presence like Simmonds brings).

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah, I'd probably have to take that deal too. Then I'd look to package the Blues first and the Peg first to move up and take tkachuk as a future replacement for Simmonds (really the only thing we are missing in our prospect pool, a physical net front presence like Simmonds brings).
Except Patrick, Ratcliffe and Allison could be those guys.

I keep all the picks if we did this deal, and draft 2 forwards and 1 Dman. Then swing for home run picks the rest of the draft.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I've wanted Simmonds gone for a while -- not that I don't like him, but he's worth more to us gone.

About to hit that age where he wants a lot of $ but is aging...but he's worth a ton still to a contending team. We're ALMOST a legit contending team...not quite. Paying Simmonds isn't ideal I think.

Reactions: flyersdad

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Except Patrick, Ratcliffe and Allison could be those guys.

I keep all the picks if we did this deal, and draft 2 forwards and 1 Dman. Then swing for home run picks the rest of the draft.

Patrick is a center and should be setting up the plays, not battling in front of the net. Allison and Ratcliff don't have the hands nor net presence of Simmonds or Hartnell. Tkachuk would, as I said, give us a prospect that has that one missing element that NONE of our current prospects process.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I've wanted Simmonds gone for a while -- not that I don't like him, but he's worth more to us gone.

About to hit that age where he wants a lot of $ but is aging...but he's worth a ton still to a contending team. We're ALMOST a legit contending team...not quite. Paying Simmonds isn't ideal I think.

I argued that we should have traded him last year at the deadline when another team could have gotten 3 playoffs from him.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I feel like I'm always the only Flyer that wants to keep Simmonds
While I am scared that his next contract may become a burden 3 years after it is signed, I think we do resign him and I'm kinda okay with it. I think for the next 3 years he'd be a better asset than anything we'd get for him but looking beyond 3 years I think it's smarter to trade him now and continue building for a 10 year plan.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I think that Simmonds doesn't fit our needs as far as when the Blues will be contenders and could afford a luxury like Simmonds. The Blues won't be ready to contend for at least 2 years as a legitimate SC team. I'd rather just roll out our prospects, see how they shake out and then figure out what they need come 2020-2021 season onward.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I feel like I'm always the only Flyer that wants to keep Simmonds

I wanna keep him. Our fanbase turns on guys pretty quickly. He's had a rough year and he hasn't been great. But he's a terrific locker room guy and he is still an effective PP player. Like, great, Patrick scores 3-4 PP goals with the first unit and the guy's expendable? OK, and the same people cry and whine that PP2 is terrible. It's almost like it's nice to have more than one guy who is good at scoring goals from the low slot on the power play. Seems like that could be useful.

We're not in cap trouble, we don't desperately need more picks and prospects, our team needs a little time and guidance. Continuity can go a long way. I see no need to move the guy, and I doubt the organization does either.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
what type of prospects

Ottawa would start with Pitt's first and go from there

PhillyFaninMTL

Mar 30, 2016
Montreal
Patrick is a center and should be setting up the plays, not battling in front of the net. Allison and Ratcliff don't have the hands nor net presence of Simmonds or Hartnell. Tkachuk would, as I said, give us a prospect that has that one missing element that NONE of our current prospects process.

Patrick only needs to battle in front of the net on the PP, which he is clearly good at. He can drive his own line and set up plays at even-strength all he wants. It's not like we need to find a replacement to keep up with Simmer's EVS production...

Also, while Allison may not have as strong of a net front presence as Simmer or Hartnell, I disagree about his hands

Watch the 3 goals from 1:32 to 2:05, the kid is slick

Reactions: Larry44

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I think that Simmonds doesn't fit our needs as far as when the Blues will be contenders and could afford a luxury like Simmonds. The Blues won't be ready to contend for at least 2 years as a legitimate SC team. I'd rather just roll out our prospects, see how they shake out and then figure out what they need come 2020-2021 season onward.
He fits our needs in that he's a RHS RW with net front presence. Where he doesn't fit is his age as compared to our present core, and his up coming contract.

Reactions: 67Blues

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I like Wayne and two years ago I'd be begging the Stars to grab him if they could. At this point though we'd be paying him for his past success, give up quality assets for him, and be stuck with a bad contract in a few years

Reactions: 67Blues

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Would Simmonds and Phillys 2-1sts get the 2nd overall pick? Svechnikov would be a nice addition to the Flyers.

This was brought up in another thread, and the answer is Probably not. Youd have to have a team like the Oilers win the #2 and hope they want the 'now' piece and 2 futures. Even then, there's cap implications to consider. Good, young, cheap players are becoming more and more valuable these days.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
This was brought up in another thread, and the answer is Probably not. Youd have to have a team like the Oilers win the #2 and hope they want the 'now' piece and 2 futures. Even then, there's cap implications to consider. Good, young, cheap players are becoming more and more valuable these days.

There'd definitely have to be some sort of cap dump going the other way. A team looking for a leader who wins the 2nd could also be in discussion maybe. But certainly not most teams that would be picking 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad