OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VIIII: Nine lives, cat's eyes

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Nice. I don't know how old you are, but I wonder if we might've crossed paths (or at least been in the same place/same time back in those days. Did you used to go to shows at City Gardens in Trenton?

McRad playing these days is hilarious, but kinda cool. I have dreams of some of my old favorites getting out for a tour again.

If you were there toward the end, almost assuredly. I would guess I went there first in '96. Before that, it was almost exclusively Philadelphia for me.

Reactions: chadateit

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
If you were there toward the end, almost assuredly. I would guess I went there first in '96. Before that, it was almost exclusively Philadelphia for me.
I was there mainly 89-93 or so. I graduated HS in 93 and moved to CA for college. I went occasionally after that when I was visiting home, but not much. I'm trying to remember what venues even existed in the city at that time. The troc. Dobbs on south st. There were one or two other small venues.

• Love
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I was there mainly 89-93 or so. I graduated HS in 93 and moved to CA for college. I went occasionally after that when I was visiting home, but not much. I'm trying to remember what venues even existed in the city at that time. The troc. Dobbs on south st. There were one or two other small venues.

Off the top of my head, you had the basement at the First Unitarian Church, Stalag 13, Cabbage Collective’s Calvary, Revival, and Upstairs at Nick’s.

• Love

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
Off the top of my head, you had the basement at the First Unitarian Church, Stalag 13, Cabbage Collective’s Calvary, Revival, and Upstairs at Nick’s.
Oh man. The church was a fun venue. I liked that place. Saw a couple shows there, if I'm thinking of the right one. Big wood floor, with no stage, and the bands would set up right on the floor with everyone. Maybe I'm thinking of a different place... hmmm...
Way more fun thinking about this than the shitshow the flyers are tonight

• Love

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Oh man. The church was a fun venue. I liked that place. Saw a couple shows there, if I'm thinking of the right one. Big wood floor, with no stage, and the bands would set up right on the floor with everyone. Maybe I'm thinking of a different place... hmmm...
Way more fun thinking about this than the shitshow the flyers are tonight

That’s it. Still running shows today!

• Love

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I love zombies. I love Madness. I now love Kid Kapichi for combining them. Note the purchase of a cornetto, you Edgar Wright fans.

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
somehow it's the 70th bday today of Rob Wright. Bad mofo Bass Player and front man for my favorite band that's too weird for almost everyone I know. Put on the best live show I've ever attended.

• Love

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
I was listening to wxpn, highs in the 70s on the way to the game. They played Sex Pistols God Gave the Queen", ABBA "Momma Mia," and Bill Withers "Grandma's Hands" in a row. When the third song started, I said to Lil Swami " you'd never herlar those three songs together on any other station. When it was over, the DJ says "this is why I love doing this show, I can play 3 songs like that together."

Last edited:
Reactions: GKJ and mja

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
There were so many good bands around then. Do you hear the influence of this song in "Come As You Are"?
It's actually what got me thinking about the song again, specifically the music convo that happened in the Social Media thread. Very clearly Kurt swiped the first part of that riff right down to the tone, even admitted as much to Killing Joke when it was released before walking it back a bit. And yet, despite the similarity, they're both very different songs.

Music is neat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Favorite deep cut off of a great debut album by a (2-piece!) band that didn't quite get the 15 minutes they deserved 30 years ago...

Freakin' adore the Spinanes. Saw them at Silk City in Philly with Lois back in '97.

Don't know if you've heard any of Rebecca Gates post-Spinanes stuff, but this one is pretty great in my opinion.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Freakin' adore the Spinanes. Saw them at Silk City in Philly with Lois back in '97.

Don't know if you've heard any of Rebecca Gates post-Spinanes stuff, but this one is pretty great in my opinion.

It is great! I never got the chance to see them. I've heard a bit of her stuff over the years, but honestly it's hard to keep up in general. So many artists from the 90's have just kept on plugging away putting out good stuff even after the culture moved on to other things. I'm like 10 or 15 albums behind on GBV alone.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It is great! I never got the chance to see them. I've heard a bit of her stuff over the years, but honestly it's hard to keep up in general. So many artists from the 90's have just kept on plugging away putting out good stuff even after the culture moved on to other things. I'm like 10 or 15 albums behind on GBV alone.

Me too. You'd almost have to devote your life to them, like the Deadheads with that gang of c***s, to keep up with them. They rule so hard.

Reactions: mja

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
this popped into my head for some reason..and I wasn't even watching TPB

I used to hate this song when I was in high school and wanted everyone to get trashed. The only worse one was "We Don't Have To Take Our Clothes Off (To Have A Good Time") - every time I heard that, I was like "Motherf***er, shut up!"

• Haha
Reactions: trostol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad