OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part VIIII: Nine lives, cat's eyes

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Kathy Ireland. Swimsuit edition. Young mja discovering things.

Then I went to college and there was a girl there who was a dead ringer for Kathy Ireland, if only an anvil had been dropped on her head and squished her into a roughly oompa loompa shape. It was really unfortunate.

As for Billy Joel, I grew up in a household that played his stuff constantly, along with Rod Stewart, who my mother adored. So yeah, I once owned a copy of whatever album We Didn't Start the Fire was on and knew all the words. In my defense, I was in middle school.
My Mother was also a huge Billy Joel fan. So by inheritance I became one also. When the older stuff was played so often you got to know it well. I have seen him too many times to count but I do know at least the last 3 were during his residency at MSG. After the first show there the touring version just didn't feel right.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
What is it, "All Joni Mitchell All the Time"?

They dropped the Grateful Dead Hour! Why they ever had it is a problem, of course, but at least they've come to their senses. Added a bunch of Gen-X-centric stuff. It looks like they've realized that their hippie Boomer audience is starting to die off, so they're focusing on the new oldheads.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Land of the Lost becoming a weekly show is incredible

The irony is that XPN rarely even plays that shrieking shrew outside of that damn countdown lol
Basically all of their monthly shows are going weekly. Too bad Making Time RADio hasn’t been around.

They’ve tended to do this following some of these countdowns where it’s made clear that they need to engage an audience that doesn’t think that the best music of all time was made during Vietnam

Reactions: Rebels57

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
They dropped the Grateful Dead Hour! Why they ever had it is a problem, of course, but at least they've come to their senses. Added a bunch of Gen-X-centric stuff. It looks like they've realized that their hippie Boomer audience is starting to die off, so they're focusing on the new oldheads.
an audience that doesn’t think that the best music of all time was made during Vietnam

Hey we are not all dead....yet

Yeah......we still love the really old shit and yeah we love the songs during THE WAR. Ididn't go to jail for nothing either in'69. Still love Mick Taylor when he was with the Stones. This version in Philly, '72 is probably the best.

To show I am not the oldest rock n roller alive and only love old shit, some of us did evolve from 3 chords and male ego.

GKJ.....some us go back even further in time than Vietnam. In 6th grade, someone would bring in a portable phonograph and play 45 rpm records and we would dance to all the latest dance songs. Innocence par excellence. Of course, that was over 60 years ago.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
an audience that doesn’t think that the best music of all time was made during Vietnam

Hey we are not all dead....yet

Yeah......we still love the really old shit and yeah we love the songs during THE WAR. Ididn't go to jail for nothing either in'69. Still love Mick Taylor when he was with the Stones. This version in Philly, '72 is probably the best.

To show I am not the oldest rock n roller alive and only love old shit, some of us did evolve from 3 chords and male ego.

GKJ.....some us go back even further in time than Vietnam. In 6th grade, someone would bring in a portable phonograph and play 45 rpm records and we would dance to all the latest dance songs. Innocence par excellence. Of course, that was over 60 years ago.

I’m not saying none of it is good. One of them got my vote. But it kinda shows their age. They are not your future audience, even though it cannot be found anywhere else on free radio.

When they did last greatest songs ever countdown, they had a roundtable afterward and the big talking point was how poorly the 90’s did. Also, how not-diverse it was. As I noted, Losing My Religion went from like 132 or something on a list of 885 10 years prior, to completely off a list of 2,021. I remember Kristen saying that ‘they just didn’t show up this time.’ For a station so reliant on member support, the only takeaway you can have from that is that people who grew up in the 90’s are not engaging with the radio station. And they are the people most likely to be immediate members, beyond that, have kids who they can get to listen, in a world continuously moving away from terrestrial radio. After that is when they introduced Culture Cipher and What’s the Frequency (named after another R.E.M. song).

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
I’m not saying none of it is good. One of them got my vote. But it kinda shows their age. They are not your future audience, even though it cannot be found anywhere else on free radio.

When they did last greatest songs ever countdown, they had a roundtable afterward and the big talking point was how poorly the 90’s did. Also, how not-diverse it was. As I noted, Losing My Religion went from like 132 or something on a list of 885 10 years prior, to completely off a list of 2,021. I remember Kristen saying that ‘they just didn’t show up this time.’ For a station so reliant on member support, the only takeaway you can have from that is that people who grew up in the 90’s are not engaging with the radio station. And they are the people most likely to be immediate members, beyond that, have kids who they can get to listen, in a world continuously moving away from terrestrial radio. After that is when they introduced Culture Cipher and What’s the Frequency (named after another R.E.M. song).

Understood. My generation's music will eventually die and become just cultural artifacts to ponder and reflect, just like most music. The most important idea about growing up with AM music is not necessarily that rock was an aesthetic proposition but an existential one. It was MY music, not my parents. Also most of the time, in college, we were not angry anti-war protesters. We were after good times: alcohol, weed, and women, you know a good college education. If I want an aesthetic experience I turn to classical.

If you are interested in helping young classical musicians and live in the Philly area join Astral
Services. I was in it for the music and the artists. You would think it would be all stodgy and snobbery, but it was not.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Understood. My generation's music will eventually die and become just cultural artifacts to ponder and reflect, just like most music. The most important idea about growing up with AM music is not necessarily that rock was an aesthetic proposition but an existential one. It was MY music, not my parents. Also most of the time, in college, we were not angry anti-war protesters. We were after good times: alcohol, weed, and women, you know a good college education. If I want an aesthetic experience I turn to classical.

If you are interested in helping young classical musicians and live in the Philly area join Astral
Services. I was in it for the music and the artists. You would think it would be all stodgy and snobbery, but it was not.

I actually don't think any music release post Beatles arrival in 1964 is ever going to "die off" to the extent we have seen the music before it. It's just too good. We are 60 years into it already and it's not really slowing down all that much.

Reactions: GKJ

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

We see now it’s been pretty difficult to hear almost anything prior to the 80’s on the radio, and even that is scarce. These iheartradio stations are a scourge to society, they’re impossible to listen to. XPN has kind of been a place of mine how there’s nowhere else to go to listen to this stuff, but they’re having to make room for more abandoned listeners having to go to the far ends of the dial.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Going to get through more of this album but man I've loved what I've heard.

Yeah, I've listened to the album a few times from start to finish, and some of the single releases a few more times. Really enjoying it!

The Stormchaser is a beautiful song. Golem is a banger. Mute is a dynamic ride.

Can't wait to see them in Toronto next week.

Reactions: SolidSnakeUS

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I've got a huge collection now of Flac albums (lossless compression that allows you to store thousands of albums on a hard drive) and bootlegs (only close to pristine sound, no audience, they sound like they were recorded in an airplane hanger) from all eras.

The best music in terms of great albums/CDs per year is still 1965-1975, for a number of reasons.
1) the money wasn't as good so groups toured a lot, practice makes perfect, the Beatles wouldn't be the Beatles without playing 3 sets a night for a couple of years in Hamburg.

2) groups were groups, not a front man with a constantly changing cast of backups, which meant they often had multiple song writers - only a handful are capable of writing hundreds of good songs - which means most solo artists tend to burn out after a couple albums when they exhaust their back catalogue of good songs.

3) it was new, musicians weren't saddled with thousands of songs in their head, trying to be different, English bands discovered American blues, etc., as a revelation, not as the soundtrack of their youth.

It's not that there hasn't been a lot of great music since then, but it just seems more like a few shining stars rising above a background of groups turning out one or two good albums and a bunch of product. Nowadays, with Spotify, etc., it's harder to find artists who can turn out complete CDs when the money is to make it on a song or two that goes viral, then tour off that fame - full circle to the early 60s!

PS: I've done some research and realized the "audiophile" oversampling, high frequency versions are a total ripoff - turns out the human ear can't hear anything past 20KHz (at my age, more like 15KHz). The sample rate is usually double the desired frequency range you want to reproduce, so at 44.1KHz, you can reproduce around 22KHz, above what human ears can discern. So you're basically paying to entertain your dog! Same with the bit rate above CD level. Greater dynamic range doesn't work b/c to use it you'd have to have an incredible sound system and you'd end up deaf. Basically, it's a trick to get people to pay for stuff they can't hear - instead of paying for the stuff, DACs, better speakers, etc., that actually make a difference.

swami24

Jul 24, 2020
Basically all of their monthly shows are going weekly. Too bad Making Time RADio hasn’t been around.

They’ve tended to do this following some of these countdowns where it’s made clear that they need to engage an audience that doesn’t think that the best music of all time was made during Vietnam
As long as they don't mess with my Funky Fri, I am good. I generally only listen while chilling after work.

Shrike

Dec 5, 2019

This bands drummer, Yuval Gabay, has the greatest snare drum sound ever.

Reactions: pit

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
We see now it’s been pretty difficult to hear almost anything prior to the 80’s on the radio, and even that is scarce. These iheartradio stations are a scourge to society, they’re impossible to listen to. XPN has kind of been a place of mine how there’s nowhere else to go to listen to this stuff, but they’re having to make room for more abandoned listeners having to go to the far ends of the dial.
When 98.1 started playing 80's music I cried.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad