OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That coaster is pretty fun. Universal Studios ****s on Disney as far as "adult" rides go. The Hulk coaster is a blast too.

The Hulk coaster was a life-changer for me. I was afraid of roller-coasters until I finally worked up the courage to go on that one, and then I went on again and again and again and now I love every and all roller-coasters. I love Universal!

Reactions: TroutHockey

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
The Hulk coaster was a life-changer for me. I was afraid of roller-coasters until I finally worked up the courage to go on that one, and then I went on again and again and again and now I love every and all roller-coasters. I love Universal!
I had never been on a roller coaster until I was a senior in high school when the match club went to Hersheypark at the end of the year. I think going on with some friends really helped to alleviate the stress. With that being said, I'm still by no means a coaster aficionado or anything and I won't do anything with loops or inversions. I think Space Mountain is about as adventurous as I've ever been and ever will be when it comes to coasters, lol.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014

I've had a recent urge to start going through his solo discography. The stuff i've already heard has been pretty cool.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just discovered a band from Canada called Idle Eyes. They have a self-titled album that came out in 1985. If you like that 80's pop-rock sound, you will love this album. There's about 6 great songs (relative to the genre) on the album.

The best way I could describe it is, music Ferris Bueller would have in his stereo in his bedroom. :laugh:

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I just discovered a band from Canada called Idle Eyes. They have a self-titled album that came out in 1985. If you like that 80's pop-rock sound, you will love this album. There's about 6 great songs (relative to the genre) on the album.

The best way I could describe it is, music Ferris Bueller would have in his stereo in his bedroom. :laugh:
I just listened to the first track and I am going to be all over this. I'm not a member of the 90.5 WBER New Wave Wednesday Facebook group for nothing! Howard Jones, The Fixx, the Smiths,and others got me through my first MRI last Saturday.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just listened to the first track and I am going to be all over this. I'm not a member of the 90.5 WBER New Wave Wednesday Facebook group for nothing! Howard Jones, The Fixx, the Smiths,and others got me through my first MRI last Saturday.

The second track Two Rivers is even better. Painting Pictures is good too. The song Danger is wildly inappropriate but fun. Wait until you hear the lyrics of that. Cringe-worthy lol.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Have any under-the-radar 80s new wave/pop/rock gems you can recommend?

Expectations

Mar 2, 2018
Currently:
Launder
Holy Motors
Preoccupations
A Place to Bury Strangers

I'm into post-punk, shoegaze, chillwave, and dreampop

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Have you discovered Yaz yet? Super synthy 80's pop. Sound's right up your current alley.

I have not. Sweet!

Another group I discovered recently from the early 80s is the The Eyes and their album Tube Vision. They are from the Talking Heads mold. Good stuff.

Reactions: TroutHockey

Expectations

Mar 2, 2018

If you're into the 80's/synth influence you might some of the like the chillwave/dreampop stuff that's come out over the past 6-7 years. Check out Small Black, Washed Out, Neon Indian, Wild Nothing, Craft Spells.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I don't know what you'd consider under-the-radar. I think many new wave bands are considered one-hit-wonders in the U.S. but have had long, successful careers in the U.K. and Australia where they usually came from.

The Tokyo Rose track gave me a vibe of The Fixx and Icehouse. The Fixx had numerous hits here but I only knew Electric Blue from Icehouse until a decade ago. They really should've gotten more success over here. I only recently heard of China Crisis when they opened for Men Without Hats and they'd seem to fit in with this style too.

I also wish I fully discovered Big Country before the lead singer killed himself. I'm a sucker for Celtic rock and In a Big Country was a lifelong favorite song. That album The Crossing is solid from beginning to end.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If you're into the 80's/synth influence you might some of the like the chillwave/dreampop stuff that's come out over the past 6-7 years. Check out Small Black, Washed Out, Neon Indian, Wild Nothing, Craft Spells.

I've heard Neon Indian and Wild Nothing. I actually prefer Synthwave/Retrowave when I want to hear a modern riff on 80s music. Kavinsky, Gunship, Perterbutor, Timecop 1983, etc.

Reactions: Expectations

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know what you'd consider under-the-radar. I think many new wave bands are considered one-hit-wonders in the U.S. but have had long, successful careers in the U.K. and Australia where they usually came from.

The Tokyo Rose track gave me a vibe of The Fixx and Icehouse. The Fixx had numerous hits here but I only knew Electric Blue from Icehouse until a decade ago. They really should've gotten more success over here. I only recently heard of China Crisis when they opened for Men Without Hats and they'd seem to fit in with this style too.

I also wish I fully discovered Big Country before the lead singer killed himself. I'm a sucker for Celtic rock and In a Big Country was a lifelong favorite song. That album The Crossing is solid from beginning to end.

I don't think i'm familiar with any of them so I will add em' to the list.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I take it you're a fan of the Drive soundtrack too? :laugh:
I actually haven't seen Drive but my friend saw it and then recommended I need to listen to Electric Youth and College. He was right. I love my old school synth! Speaking of old school synth, I'll plug again John Carpenter's Lost Theme albums. There's two of them now and they're cool as shit.

Reactions: Rebels57

Expectations

Mar 2, 2018
I actually haven't seen Drive but my friend saw it and then recommended I need to listen to Electric Youth and College. He was right. I love my old school synth!

You probably have already but if not, check out Miami Nights 1984, FM Attack, Nite, Tesla Boy, Anoraak, and Mitch Murder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad