OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Now that I think of it, two albums released in the same year (1997) took me from "I've liked their radio stuff." to "HOLY CHRIST I MUST LISTEN TO EVERYTHING THEY'VE DONE!!!" They were Gary Numan "Exile" and Depeche Mode "Ultra". Some of their eras/albums are much better than others but the overall body of work, even recent work, is incredible. Always evolving without losing what makes you unique is very difficult but they've mastered it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Sounds like a movie scene.

Well, Steinman did write the original Bat Out Of Hell with the plan of making it a Broadway musical. Became an album instead.

Also, when the pianist on Bat Out Of Hell (Roy Bittan) read the review in the LA times that thought the album was a Springsteen satire, particularly noting his work ripping off Springsteen's piano player, he must have been pretty amused. What with him actually being Springsteen's piano guy.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hate Yes because "I've Seen All Good People" is the most disappointing song ever. It spends 3/4 of the song building for what should be an awesome ending, but then it comes and it's just a bunch of binkedy-dinky-doinky-boink. What a letdown.

Eat dirt, Yes.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
It's honestly the only song I know by them :laugh:. I sometimes feel like I listen to music that is too new for most, even though the songs could be over a decade old :laugh:.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Oh I know there is, but I grew up on so much of it that I've become kind of meh to it. Seriously, my parents would constantly listen to the classic rock stations for years and years.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
You made it seem like you guys were in your 40s. Only 10 years older than me.

I'm 41 so I grew up listening to whatever I saw on MTV and whatever my parents listened to for most of my childhood, then getting much more adventurous once I hit my teens and started really forging my own identity away from my older brother and got progressively freakier. In the end my heart is musically all over the place but thechildhood nostalgia of the late 70's / early 80's sounds have the strongest pull on me. Somedays I want to tear shit up with Mindless Self Indulgence and Skinny Puppy, but more often I need to relax my ragged old nerves and/or play work-safe stuff like Thomas Dolby and ELO.

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
I'm 41 so I grew up listening to whatever I saw on MTV and whatever my parents listened to for most of my childhood, then getting much more adventurous once I hit my teens and started really forging my own identity away from my older brother and got progressively freakier. In the end my heart is musically all over the place but thechildhood nostalgia of the late 70's / early 80's sounds have the strongest pull on me. Somedays I want to tear **** up with Mindless Self Indulgence and Skinny Puppy, but more often I need to relax my ragged old nerves and/or play work-safe stuff like Thomas Dolby and ELO.
I don’t have a clue what any of that stuff is :laugh:

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
I became a big Beatles fan (if my username and previous avatars aren't any indication) a couple years ago after years of thinking they were overrated. When I took a listen to more than just their absolute biggest hits, I decided I wanted to hear more.

Since most of their music isn't on YouTube (and I didn't know about Spotify) I had to buy most of their music to hear it, and every time I heard a "new" song of theirs, I decided I wanted to hear more before setting a goal of someday owning all of their songs

After several iTunes gift cards/CDs (yes, CDs)/dollars later, I finally completed the collection two or three weeks ago. Now on iTunes, I finally own every song (not including demos/alternate versions/orchestral scores from their movies/their two singles from the 90s) they ever released (to my knowledge), organized in chronological order
beatles complete.png

213 songs, almost ten hours. Maybe not all that special of a claim, and obviously being a Beatles fan isn't unique, but I was pretty proud of the accomplishment myself and now I could probably sing 90% of their songs in my sleep :laugh:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I became a big Beatles fan (if my username and previous avatars aren't any indication) a couple years ago after years of thinking they were overrated. When I took a listen to more than just their absolute biggest hits, I decided I wanted to hear more.

Since most of their music isn't on YouTube (and I didn't know about Spotify) I had to buy most of their music to hear it, and every time I heard a "new" song of theirs, I decided I wanted to hear more before setting a goal of someday owning all of their songs

After several iTunes gift cards/CDs (yes, CDs)/dollars later, I finally completed the collection two or three weeks ago. Now on iTunes, I finally own every song (not including demos/alternate versions/orchestral scores from their movies/their two singles from the 90s) they ever released (to my knowledge), organized in chronological order
View attachment 98157

213 songs, almost ten hours. Maybe not all that special of a claim, and obviously being a Beatles fan isn't unique, but I was pretty proud of the accomplishment myself and now I could probably sing 90% of their songs in my sleep :laugh:

Im a huge fan. Have entire discography including the Anthology. Best ever.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Im a huge fan. Have entire discography including the Anthology. Best ever.
I've got a few Anthology tracks in my collection- their recording of My Bonnie with Tony Sheridan from 1962, the demo of Strawberry Fields Forever (my favorite song, obviously, lol), and Paul's demo of Come and Get It; I'm gonna focus on completing that set someday now that I have all their "regular" stuff. I realize I have a long way to go, though, ha. I did get the Anthology book two Christmases ago- it really came in handy when I wrote a paper about the influence American artists had on the band for a history class the next semester :nod:

I used to think they were overrated because the classic rock stations here never played anything besides the standard Hey Jude/Come Together/Let It Be type of stuff and I foolishly thought that was all there was to the Beatles :laugh: I still see a lot of people call them overrated. I truly think people have to listen to at least 30 or 40 songs of theirs before they can come to a solid conclusion on them. They spanned so many genres that it's almost impossible to not like at least ONE song of theirs. Even their B-sides and "worst" albums would be most other band's biggest successes. It's crazy.

Do you have a favorite album? I'd go Revolver -> Sgt. Pepper -> Rubber Soul as a top three. 1965-67 is peak Beatles imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad