OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
You probably have already but if not, check out Miami Nights 1984, FM Attack, Nite, Tesla Boy, Anoraak, and Mitch Murder.
That's probably the next genre I need to deep dive into. I struggle to find newer artists that I like because rarely does anything worth a damn make it to the mainstream anymore and I have to put extra effort into digging. Often the "newer" bands I find have been around since 2000 or so. I'm Oldy McOlderton. I'll be the guy in the nursing home blasting KMFDM and Devo to drown out some other guy's Jay-Z. No more Lawrence Welk in the halls when Gen X hits the Golden years!

Reactions: Expectations

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's probably the next genre I need to deep dive into. I struggle to find newer artists that I like because rarely does anything worth a damn make it to the mainstream anymore and I have to put extra effort into digging. Often the "newer" bands I find have been around since 2000 or so. I'm Oldy McOlderton. I'll be the guy in the nursing home blasting KMFDM and Devo to drown out some other guy's Jay-Z. No more Lawrence Welk in the halls when Gen X hits the Golden years!

There is a loooottttt to dive into right now. It's blown up the last few years. My favorite album by far is the self-titled album by Gunship. I prefer synthwave that actually has vocals instead of just instrumentals.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
There is a loooottttt to dive into right now. It's blown up the last few years. My favorite album by far is the self-titled album by Gunship. I prefer synthwave that actually has vocals instead of just instrumentals.

Just like the Gunship music video from the end of the last page. Love that song.

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just like the Gunship music video from the end of the last page. Love that song.

They have a new song and music video for the release of the Spielberg flick Ready Player One. Song is called Art3mis & Parzival. It's pretty good!

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Same here. For the longest time it seemed like modern synthpop was all industrial-edged, like VNV Nation and Apoptygma Berzerk. I love those guys (still can't believe VNV actually came to Rochester so I didn't have to go on a road trip!) but sometimes I want something more mellow. VNV Nation did an album where it's just the singer with an orchestra covering the music and I was totally blown away by how beautifully the melodies transferred.

Unrelated but I'm debating going to see one of my old favorite bands, They Might Be Giants, in town tomorrow night but I'm still dealing with the aftermath of a kidney stone. No point in going to a concert if you're going to keep going to the bathroom every twenty minutes!

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I've had arguments with people about The Beatles and them being overrated, always gives me a good chuckle. How can a band that transformed music in 6-7 short years be overrated? They went from "I Want To Hold Your Hand" cheesy pop songs to Sgt Peppers in 4 years. Absolutely absurd.

Imagine what music would be like now if they ceased to exist.

People who think they're overrated probably suffer from Muzak overload.

Go forth and listen, and you realize how amazing they were. Start from the beginning, even the early albums have some great songs you won't remember, albeit 2-3 minutes b/c time restrictions on AM radio in those days (you needed pot smoking FM DJs before extended songs could have a market). Include the two compilations from the mid-1960s of the singles that never made it to albums, those two alone could kick ass compared to most bands (Hey Jude, Lady Madonna, et al).

One reason most groups after the 1970s simply aren't that good is songwriting, it's hard to write good song after good song, few solo artists can keep it up (even Dylan ran out after Blood On the Tracks), Neil Young is one of the few, the Boss's output steadily declined after the River, Townsend peaked with Quadrophenia and so on.

So the groups that had songwriting teams (Lennon-McCartney, Jagger-Richards) were able to come up with a much bigger volume of good songs than most solo writers. I think the interplay of two or more writers often resulted in creative synergies.

Reactions: Peter Man

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
People who think they're overrated probably suffer from Muzak overload.

Go forth and listen, and you realize how amazing they were. Start from the beginning, even the early albums have some great songs you won't remember, albeit 2-3 minutes b/c time restrictions on AM radio in those days (you needed pot smoking FM DJs before extended songs could have a market). Include the two compilations from the mid-1960s of the singles that never made it to albums, those two alone could kick ass compared to most bands (Hey Jude, Lady Madonna, et al).

One reason most groups after the 1970s simply aren't that good is songwriting, it's hard to write good song after good song, few solo artists can keep it up (even Dylan ran out after Blood On the Tracks), Neil Young is one of the few, the Boss's output steadily declined after the River, Townsend peaked with Quadrophenia and so on.

So the groups that had songwriting teams (Lennon-McCartney, Jagger-Richards) were able to come up with a much bigger volume of good songs than most solo writers. I think the interplay of two or more writers often resulted in creative synergies.

I am fully on board with the long-haired druggie Beatles era. It was like if Hanson wrote their own songs and decided one day to turn into The Pixies.

Reactions: Peter Man

Canadia

Mar 9, 2017
Vancouver Island
I got to see Gwar at Dragoncon '98 and they totally delivered. I don't know if I could listen to them regularly but they're definitely a band that everyone with a sick sense of humor needs to see live at least once.

I've seen Gwar live three times at this point. Unfortunately I never got to see them live with Dave brockie . But they are a hoot live.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Found this album in a box of CDs the other day. Listened to it ~4x since. Have not listened to it since ~2011 when living with two of my best friends in a student house in England. :laugh: (was on heavy rotation alongside Metronomy, Justice, Phantogram, Manu Chao, The Pixies, Caribou, Gold Panda, Daft Punk, Gorillaz, Pulp and Blondie for ~6 months!)

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Doolittle is one of the few albums in history that I have listened to an absurd amount and still never pick and choose/skip songs. True moment of genius. Though even on the other albums there are some truly amazing songs. (Alec Eiffel, Caribou to name a few.)

The crazy thing about them is the music they were pumping out pre-1990, before the Grunge scene exploded.

Just look up the Billboards top-100 from 1988 and have a laugh.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
On the other hand, that new Arctic Monkeys album is a travesty. Can't say I really liked anything they've done since their first two albums, but was hoping they'd get back to their roots. Nah...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad