OT: Watcha Listenin' To? - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I've got a few Anthology tracks in my collection- their recording of My Bonnie with Tony Sheridan from 1962, the demo of Strawberry Fields Forever (my favorite song, obviously, lol), and Paul's demo of Come and Get It; I'm gonna focus on completing that set someday now that I have all their "regular" stuff. I realize I have a long way to go, though, ha. I did get the Anthology book two Christmases ago- it really came in handy when I wrote a paper about the influence American artists had on the band for a history class the next semester :nod:

I used to think they were overrated because the classic rock stations here never played anything besides the standard Hey Jude/Come Together/Let It Be type of stuff and I foolishly thought that was all there was to the Beatles :laugh: I still see a lot of people call them overrated. I truly think people have to listen to at least 30 or 40 songs of theirs before they can come to a solid conclusion on them. They spanned so many genres that it's almost impossible to not like at least ONE song of theirs. Even their B-sides and "worst" albums would be most other band's biggest successes. It's crazy.

Do you have a favorite album? I'd go Revolver -> Sgt. Pepper -> Rubber Soul as a top three. 1965-67 is peak Beatles imo.

People that think they are overrated have bad taste in music. Facts lol.

Srgt Pepper
Abbey Road
White Album
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Help!

And on from there.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

ELO classics

They were one of the first bands I owned a greatest hits for, back in middle school.

That instrumental intro to Livin Thing is particularly :thumbu::thumbu:

ELO was one of my dad's favs and it carried down to by bro and me. I'd love to see them before Jeff Lynne dies. In the amusement park in our town they used to have a ride called the Gyrosphere which was the Scrambler but inside a giant inflatable dome where they projected cool 70's/80's sci-fi art on the walls and played ELO's "Fire On High". Then in the 90's they dropped the pictures and ELO to make it into a generic laser light dance club turd. Then half the park caught on fire in 1994 and the whole damn thing burned to a crisp.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
ELO was one of my dad's favs and it carried down to by bro and me. I'd love to see them before Jeff Lynne dies. In the amusement park in our town they used to have a ride called the Gyrosphere which was the Scrambler but inside a giant inflatable dome where they projected cool 70's/80's sci-fi art on the walls and played ELO's "Fire On High". Then in the 90's they dropped the pictures and ELO to make it into a generic laser light dance club turd. Then half the park caught on fire in 1994 and the whole damn thing burned to a crisp.
Fire on High was probably one of the first ELO songs I heard because they used to play it on our local classic rock station, before I ever owned any of their music (I haven't heard it on there in years, so I assume they removed it from the set list). The kick is that they cut out the first minute and a half of the strings and Hallelujahs and backwards vocals. So needless to say, I was pretty confused when I heard the whole thing from the beginning for the first time. :laugh: I can't believe it's not on their greatest hits. It's one of my favorite instrumental rock pieces.

Did the Scrambler ride play the whole song? That must've been a pretty cool experience.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
With all the new news about Tool really nailing it home that they are going to make their new album and get it out there (hopefully this year), this is probably my favorite song of all time:

To add more to it:

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I just discovered this band from Philly called Low Cut Connie.

Has anyone here heard them yet? They are pretty awesome. I would describe their sound as modern Elton John (think Saturday Nights Alright for Fighting, Crocodile Rock) but more low-brow at times in their song writing. Sometimes sleazy, always fun, good old fashioned Rock and Roll!

Will post their new song "Beverley" off of their upcoming album shortly.

Last edited:

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I became a big Beatles fan (if my username and previous avatars aren't any indication) a couple years ago after years of thinking they were overrated. When I took a listen to more than just their absolute biggest hits, I decided I wanted to hear more.

Since most of their music isn't on YouTube (and I didn't know about Spotify) I had to buy most of their music to hear it, and every time I heard a "new" song of theirs, I decided I wanted to hear more before setting a goal of someday owning all of their songs

After several iTunes gift cards/CDs (yes, CDs)/dollars later, I finally completed the collection two or three weeks ago. Now on iTunes, I finally own every song (not including demos/alternate versions/orchestral scores from their movies/their two singles from the 90s) they ever released (to my knowledge), organized in chronological order
View attachment 98157

213 songs, almost ten hours. Maybe not all that special of a claim, and obviously being a Beatles fan isn't unique, but I was pretty proud of the accomplishment myself and now I could probably sing 90% of their songs in my sleep :laugh:

I've had arguments with people about The Beatles and them being overrated, always gives me a good chuckle. How can a band that transformed music in 6-7 short years be overrated? They went from "I Want To Hold Your Hand" cheesy pop songs to Sgt Peppers in 4 years. Absolutely absurd.

Imagine what music would be like now if they ceased to exist.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Some Stockholm Syndrome for Stockholm Syndrome:

This is one of the hidden tracks on the Rockit Roller Coaster at Universal Studios Orlando but I couldn't get the menu to come up the second time I rode it. It had to take a back seat to Ministry's "Just One Fix", which I successfully played on my first trip, because JESUS CHRIST IT'S A ROLLER COASTER THAT PLAYS MINISTRY!!!!

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
This is one of the hidden tracks on the Rockit Roller Coaster at Universal Studios Orlando but I couldn't get the menu to come up the second time I rode it. It had to take a back seat to Ministry's "Just One Fix", which I successfully played on my first trip, because JESUS CHRIST IT'S A ROLLER COASTER THAT PLAYS MINISTRY!!!!

That coaster is pretty fun. Universal Studios shits on Disney as far as "adult" rides go. The Hulk coaster is a blast too.

Reactions: Rebels57

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
That coaster is pretty fun. Universal Studios ****s on Disney as far as "adult" rides go. The Hulk coaster is a blast too.
The Hulk coaster "blasted" me so hard last November that it gave me a splitting headache and I had to go back to the hotel and sleep it off. I also started getting a panic attack just looking at the Fear Fall. Getting old BLOWS. My mom can't do the Hulk either but she can probably ride more stuff than me now. I can't take tight spins for too long anymore either. When I was a kid I made my friend puke on the Tilt-a Whirl and thought it was hilarious. Now I yell like a bitch on it. The thing is, with such bad anxiety over the past twenty + years I shouldn't have been able to ride anything anyway. I still feel like one of the last, most precious bits of my childhood is withering away when I can't go on things anymore.

Reactions: TroutHockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad