Post-Game Talk: Wasn't that a delight, Islanders 6 - Jets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Sean Reynolds was talking about this a month+ ago and these late season "malaises". Said the same thing, but specifically that this team has had huge issues flipping that switch when they needed to. Even Bowness spoke earlier about how you can't play as hard as he wanted them to all year.

There better be one big flip lined up because they're losing all consistency and their bad games are resembling some of the Vegas games last year, absolute no shows.
They seemed to flip it vs NYR, a game with playoff-like intensity

Not sure if it will be there tomorrow for a noon game vs caps, but they better figure it the f*** out with the Oilers and f*** Vegas coming into town this week

Reactions: Jets 31

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I didn’t get to watch this “gem” but it doesn’t sound like I missed much.
Two early goals again.
Helle’s goals again average would probably be close to 1.50 if he didn’t have to face the first 3 shots on goal every game.
It’s crazy how often we get scored on in the first few minutes.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
They seemed to flip it vs NYR, a game with playoff-like intensity

Not sure if it will be there tomorrow for a noon game vs caps, but they better figure it the f*** out with the Oilers and f*** Vegas coming into town this week

Did they? That was a close game, and a win, but they didn't dominate, (Not that they should have). I'm talking more about these absolute no show losses. When they lose they have been losing BAD. Earlier in the year their losses looked more like the NYR game, maybe a bit worse because no team is perfect, with the occasional flub.

The Jets have been shitkicked a few too many times the past few weeks. It's falling off a cliff then dragging yourself back up to your feet to walk a few miles before falling off a bigger cliff :laugh:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Did they? That was a close game, and a win, but they didn't dominate, (Not that they should have). I'm talking more about these absolute no show losses. When they lose they have been losing BAD. Earlier in the year their losses looked more like the NYR game, maybe a bit worse because no team is perfect, with the occasional flub.

The Jets have been shitkicked a few too many times the past few weeks. It's falling off a cliff then dragging yourself back up to your feet to walk a few miles before falling off a bigger cliff :laugh:

Five of our seven wins this month have been by 3 or more goals. The other two were against CAR and the NYR. And we have three shutouts this month. I’m all for dumping in this game. But overall it has been far from as bad as a lot of posters imply.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Pionk's the worst defenseman on the team, except for Stanley. But at least they seem to realize Stanley's not great and don't play him so much.

Reactions: hn777 and buggs

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If it makes anyone feel better, the Oilers are getting destroyed by the Leafs right now. Either team getting trounced in this game is a win-win scenario.

Reactions: Jets 31

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
we go 6-6 in the next 12 means that nashville has to go 9-2 to pass us
Yeah I don't think that will happen, I'm not that pessimistic lol. I looked at this road trip and could see these games would be tough because there are 3 teams battling for wildcard spots and would be playing desperate. The overall schedule in March is pretty rough, basically a game every second day.

That doesn't excuse these poor starts, though. Should have been ready going into the NJ game and today.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
So it looks like the Devils are not up for the Sens tonight … Sens scored 4 goals on 13 shots.
Leafs up 4-0 on Oilers so it looks like a few teams are playing like the Jets.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: MardyBum

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I stopped watching the game somewhere during the 2nd when it became obvious they didn't have it today. Looking at statsheet looks like changes were finally made to two of their biggest sacred cows "81-55" combo and the "3rd line" and the results were better. Hope they give these lines a bit of run.

Good to see Cole score, now it is on the coaches to put him in situations to let him score more. It's a 2-way street.

I don't mind these losses too much, the playoffs are what matters now and I don't care too much about seeding, sucks to see the team lose but if these losses are the only way the Jets will address certain things and make changes, that is a small price to pay for playoff success. It had been pretty apparent to me that the version of this team that has been playing since the ASB looks like an easy 1st round exit unless some aggressive changes were made so if this results in them being a better team for the playoffs, that's a win in the long run.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
That’s
I think the Jets have put it in cruise control, and maybe that's not such a bad idea. Why burn yourself out, going all out, when you have a playoff spot wrapped up ? They will be fine, and they won't be worn out come playoff time, and whoever they face will be tough. I wouldn't worry to much about today's loss, and if they win their next game, they'll be over 500 on this roadtrip, and have beaten the Rangers while doing it. They just can't form a habit playing like this tho, or it will carry forward into the playoffs
I was
I was wondering if some of the reason we're not seeing much urgency form them is because they're kinda just locked into a top 3 spot in the division and they realize the playoffs are going to be a battle from start to finish

That's not a great attitude when coming up against teams like the preds and isles who aren playing for their playoff lives

The bright spot is it looked like they flipped the switch thr other night vs the NYR when they had a game to get up for
I was thinking the same thing. At least I hope that’s what they’re doing.

Reactions: Stumbledore

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Five of our seven wins this month have been by 3 or more goals. The other two were against CAR and the NYR. And we have three shutouts this month. I’m all for dumping in this game. But overall it has been far from as bad as a lot of posters imply.

If only goals told the story of how a game went. :laugh:. Goalies don't exist unless they're a point of bragging about apparently.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I stopped watching the game somewhere during the 2nd when it became obvious they didn't have it today. Looking at statsheet looks like changes were finally made to two of their biggest sacred cows "81-55" combo and the "3rd line" and the results were better. Hope they give these lines a bit of run.

Good to see Cole score, now it is on the coaches to put him in situations to let him score more. It's a 2-way street.

I don't mind these losses too much, the playoffs are what matters now and I don't care too much about seeding, sucks to see the team lose but if these losses are the only way the Jets will address certain things and make changes, that is a small price to pay for playoff success. It had been pretty apparent to me that the version of this team that has been playing since the ASB looks like an easy 1st round exit unless some aggressive changes were made so if this results in them being a better team for the playoffs, that's a win in the long run.

It's nice you think these kind of losses will result in changes. We need a will they/won't they Connor-Scheifele game 1 playoffs poll :laugh:

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Of course the Jets won't dominate the Rangers, and I don't think that they'll dominate anyone int he playoffs either

Sure, the no-shows are one thing but it might be more worrisome if they were playing their absolute best and losing. At least a team this good has a chance to go all thr way, provided it figures out how to bring effort consistently

And on that note, I think that Bone's system of high tempo pressure just takes a lot of exertion. It was maybe easier to do early I the season and then becomes more difficult as guys get dinged up and tired. That one goal where Ehlers coasted back and didn't pick up the guy who scored sort of had me wondering. That's not like him

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Of course the Jets won't dominate the Rangers, and I don't think that they'll dominate anyone int he playoffs either

Sure, the no-shows are one thing but it might be more worrisome if they were playing their absolute best and losing. At least a team this good has a chance to go all thr way, provided it figures out how to bring effort consistently

And on that note, I think that Bone's system of high tempo pressure just takes a lot of exertion. It was maybe easier to do early I the season and then becomes more difficult as guys get dinged up and tired. That one goal where Ehlers coasted back and didn't pick up the guy who scored sort of had me wondering. That's not like him

???

I legitimately tried to come up with something for this paragraph but I have nothing. Playing bad is better because playing good and losing is more concerning. Playing good consistently is the problem.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

Agree with much of this. I stopped watching early-on as well, when it was clear where this was headed.

There have been problems with the way the lines have been constituted for quite a while now, but with the team fighting for first place, very few people seemed to care what the underlying numbers were saying. The response to the last couple of games should not be "forget it and move on"-- quite the opposite.

Apart from the need to adjust the forward lines, Josh looks like he is carrying the defensive weight of the world on his shoulders. He is. Pionk needs to sit for a game or two and I'd be quite happy to see Ville there in his place. There is no way the team could be more defensively vulnerable with that move.

The best time to have made these moves was a month ago, but the next best time is right now.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
???

I legitimately tried to come up with something for this paragraph but I have nothing. Playing bad is better because playing good and losing is more concerning. Playing good consistently is the problem.
If you're playing good and losing, you're just not good enough. If you're playing like crap and losing, there's hope that you can play better and win.

Makes sense to me. Would still prefer developing better habits though. The "switch" may not be as easy to flip as one would hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese