Post-Game Talk: Wasn't that a delight, Islanders 6 - Jets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If you're playing good and losing, you're just not good enough. If you're playing like crap and losing, there's hope that you can play better and win.

Makes sense to me. Would still prefer developing better habits though. The "switch" may not be as easy to flip as one would hope.

What in the f*** are you guys talking about?

"I'd rather they get shitkicked because then there is the hope they can play better vs playing well and losing because there is no hope there they will always lose sadge"

I'd rather the Jets dominate every single f***ing game they can to try and mitigate luck. If they lost at least they tried and were consistent.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Fans wouldn't like the amount you'd have to hike ticket prices to make up for fewer games though
You missed my comment about pro-rating salaries back. There was a writer somewhere in my memory who interviewed several players and they all agreed they'd take a 10% cut in salary for a 10% reeduction in games. Theoretically, you make a shorter season without sticking the fans with higher ticket prices. Realistically, never gonna happen.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
It could happen. A 12 game reduction is like 15% less revenue and say 12% less expenses but maybe there would be more fans at the games that are played. So maybe it would even out. The season would be almost a month shorter. An extra month vacation when you earn millions of dollars is very nice.

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Agree with much of this. I stopped watching early-on as well, when it was clear where this was headed.

There have been problems with the way the lines have been constituted for quite a while now, but with the team fighting for first place, very few people seemed to care what the underlying numbers were saying. The response to the last couple of games should not be "forget it and move on"-- quite the opposite.

Apart from the need to adjust the forward lines, Josh looks like he is carrying the defensive weight of the world on his shoulders. He is. Pionk needs to sit for a game or two and I'd be quite happy to see Ville there in his place. There is no way the team could be more defensively vulnerable with that move.

The best time to have made these moves was a month ago, but the next best time is right now.

I agree. Our top line routinely gets outchanced. Sometimes they can dominate a game like they did against NYR but you can't run a line that hard and continually lose the scoring chance battle. It will catch up to you.

The second line just doesn't score at 5 on 5 enough.

Reactions: ecolad

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Agree with much of this. I stopped watching early-on as well, when it was clear where this was headed.

There have been problems with the way the lines have been constituted for quite a while now, but with the team fighting for first place, very few people seemed to care what the underlying numbers were saying. The response to the last couple of games should not be "forget it and move on"-- quite the opposite.

Apart from the need to adjust the forward lines, Josh looks like he is carrying the defensive weight of the world on his shoulders. He is. Pionk needs to sit for a game or two and I'd be quite happy to see Ville there in his place. There is no way the team could be more defensively vulnerable with that move.

The best time to have made these moves was a month ago, but the next best time is right now.
The team needs to play better D hockey in order to take some of the weight off JoMo's shoulders - Ville certainly won't.
Our D looks serviceable when they get the support they need from the forwards - when they don't . . . .

The only changes this team needs to make is to get back to the game they were playing in the first half - which was primarily a D first game.
We will never score ourselves out of trouble when we decide to omit the D - I don't care how the lines are assembles or who we bring in.

It's not that hard to figure out - what type of game were we playing when we were winning consistently? What did our game look like when we were giving up less than 3 goals a game? It didn't matter who we played or where - that consistent defensive approach was a simple game style that teams hated playing against.

There was a risk that was discussed about what could happen when you add players and potentially shift the mind set - and it's not the guys that you add that create the problem - it's the existing players who might now assume that they can beat you on offense. IMO, nothing changed - we still need to be a D first team - especially with our blueline.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020

"I'd rather they get shitkicked because then there is the hope they can play better vs playing well and losing because there is no hope there they will always lose sadge"

I'd rather the Jets dominate every single f***ing game they can to try and mitigate luck. If they lost at least they tried and were consistent.
Strange days on this board.

I agree. Our top line routinely gets outchanced. Sometimes they can dominate a game like they did against NYR but you can't run a line that hard and continually lose the scoring chance battle. It will catch up to you.

The second line just doesn't score at 5 on 5 enough.
Our second line got the only goal last game haha...

Its not the first line - its Connor/Scheif... when they play bones system we win, when they chase Cookies we don't... the end.

We can crap on PLD all we want but right now I don't see much difference - we have a 1C that can play beast mode but we get Bambi for 2-3 games after that. If he doesn't step up, it doesn't cover for Connor's garbage, and the Jets will get swept.

Reactions: hn777

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
You missed my comment about pro-rating salaries back. There was a writer somewhere in my memory who interviewed several players and they all agreed they'd take a 10% cut in salary for a 10% reeduction in games. Theoretically, you make a shorter season without sticking the fans with higher ticket prices. Realistically, never gonna happen.
You're right, I missed rhat. Sorry

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

If every team that could dominate every game that they could, did... we wouldn't have this logjam of the top 8 teams in the league

Every single goddamn team has off games. Every. One.

We've had fewer than almost every other team in the league

Reactions: Jets 31

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
The team needs to play better D hockey in order to take some of the weight off JoMo's shoulders - Ville certainly won't.
Our D looks serviceable when they get the support they need from the forwards - when they don't . . . .

The only changes this team needs to make is to get back to the game they were playing in the first half - which was primarily a D first game.
We will never score ourselves out of trouble when we decide to omit the D - I don't care how the lines are assembles or who we bring in.

It's not that hard to figure out - what type of game were we playing when we were winning consistently? What did our game look like when we were giving up less than 3 goals a game? It didn't matter who we played or where - that consistent defensive approach was a simple game style that teams hated playing against.

There was a risk that was discussed about what could happen when you add players and potentially shift the mind set - and it's not the guys that you add that create the problem - it's the existing players who might now assume that they can beat you on offense. IMO, nothing changed - we still need to be a D first team - especially with our blueline.
We all want to desperately believe that this stall is just a matter of effort, or , the result of an off game, or, simply getting back to emphasizing defensive play - but I sometimes wonder if that is true. For all our earlier success, we seldom played particularly well against teams that aggressively pressured us and took away our time and space (in either zone). Todays game was a perfect example of that.Is it possible that our expectations have simply been raised too high by our success earlier when other teams were not themselves amped up and positioning for the playoffs? Maybe we`re simply seeing a reality that none of us like.

Reactions: hn777 and Jack7222

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
If every team that could dominate every game that they could, did... we wouldn't have this logjam of the top 8 teams in the league

Every single goddamn team has off games. Every. One.

We've had fewer than almost every other team in the league
Yup. Regular season means very little actually.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
We all want to desperately believe that this stall is just a matter of effort, or , the result of an off game, or, simply getting back to emphasizing defensive play - but I sometimes wonder if that is true. For all our earlier success, we seldom played particularly well against teams that aggressively pressured us and took away our time and space (in either zone). Todays game was a perfect example of that.Is it possible that our expectations have simply been raised too high by our success earlier when other teams were not themselves amped up and positioning for the playoffs? Maybe we`re simply seeing a reality that none of us like.
So in your opinion, what the issue?

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
we go 6-6 in the next 12 means that nashville has to go 9-2 to pass us
Nashville still could win the division if this keeps up only 7 points out.
They have an easy schedule too only Avs, Bruins and the Jets are the teams they play that have more points than them ... all winnable games.

Reactions: sipowicz

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
It could happen. A 12 game reduction is like 15% less revenue and say 12% less expenses but maybe there would be more fans at the games that are played. So maybe it would even out. The season would be almost a month shorter. An extra month vacation when you earn millions of dollars is very nice.
Doesn't the law of supply and demand suggest that if there are fewer games their price will be higher? (*Ducks and runs having now lit fuse*)

Reactions: robertocarlos

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I simply go by the results and the method of hockey played to get the results - and it's not just effort that I'm referring to - more about the defensive system.
That system does require more effort than most, but it's more about an emphasis on defending, shutting down - and less about offense.
If I were making up facts and ignoring others in building a narrative, then it might be considered desperate - but this looks to me like a system issue where we have drifted off course a bit.

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad