Washington wins the lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
bleedgreen said:
fwiw, i think columbus did its fair share by signing a college player to a "tryout contract" and giving him some pretty good ice time during at least one game i saw. i know tryouts are there for the ahl, but the NHL? this guy wasnt even getting paid and he was in the nhl getting ice time - somethings fishy about that.

In defense of Columbus, they lost Svitov, Marchant and Malhotra to injuries in the last week and a half of the season, which is when Mauldin (the college tryout) was with the team. The team also went 5-3 in their last eight (two of the losses were to Colorado and Detroit too).

Just prior to that, they had an eight game losing streak with all their vets playing. They were in most of those games.

Your tanking argument doesn't fly here. Columbus was well within the bottom four teams months ago. They finished three points up on Chicago/Washington.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
Mobos1228 said:
Back on topic: As a Caps fan, I am VERY happy about this! The hockey gods like us! :bow: Now, let's just make sure GMGM keeps the pick...

:banana:

I'm absolutely giddy right now!.....actually got a little short of breath when I first heard. After finishing third and outta place to get either Ovechkin or Malkin I was absolutely distraught (given the luck the Caps have had until now I had no hope of this), but now I'm pratically jumping outta my skin.

Honestly, a couple days ago I coulda really cared less if there was hockey next year as long as the owners got a good deal and given the state of the Caps, but now screw it....don't care what the deal is, just get it done so I can put down my $150 for center ice to watch what will be another bad team....but a bad team with Ovy and Semin to watch :)

As far as trading tthe pick......I swear on my life that if McPhee deals this pick for anyhing other than Malkin +++++ I will never, ever watch another Caps game....and I'm deadly serious!!!

THANK YOU GOD!!!!!!

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
I would like to say I just didn't want to see him in Washington. But then again, I didn't want him in NY, Columbus, or Chicago either. Chicago would have hurt the least.

Congrats Washington fans. Rebuild right and we'll see you in the conference finals a few years down the road. Just tell Alexander to keep his head up or Orpik might knock it off :)

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Caniacforever said:
This kind of gets my goat a little. Washington, already spoiled by the likes of Jagr, Bondra, Gonchar, and Kolzig now land Ovechkin. The thing that hurts about this is that the Capitals were obviously tanking the last half of the season. I don't like to see any team get rewarded for that type of thing. To me, it's like the Rangers getting the top selection would have been. They have a team full of superstars that can't click together and they blow the team up and start tanking. It's just a little sad to me. I would have much rather seen a team like Chicago or Pittsburgh get it, who both can't compete in the free agent market and have to build through talent at the draft. However, there were rumors that Pittsburgh tanked to get Lemieux a few years back, so i'm kind of mixed about this.

Here's hoping that Malkin turns out to be ten times better than Ovechkin. And Chicago's pick turns out just as good as Malkin. :handclap:

Give us a little bit of a break. Bondra, Gonchar, and Kolzig were all drafted. This team hasn't ever really contended for real or rebuilt. Jagr was something that blew up in our faces. Lang was our first big free agent signing since we brought Brian Bellows back from the back edge of obscurity 8 years ago. 30 years of futility, I'm glad something good is happening to Washington. And besides, this makes the Southeast pretty rock solid in a couple of years and it renews an old Patrick rivalry. Ovechkin better keep his head on a swivel with Orpik patrolling the ice in a new arena in Pittsburgh :handclap:

I also hope Malkin turns out great. Personally, I think center is a better position to build around, but I'll sure as heck take Ovechkin.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
My guesses ..

1. Washington : Alexander Ovechkin
2. Pittsburgh : Evgeni Malkin
3. Chicago : Cam Barker
4. Columbus : Rostislav Olesz
5. Phoenix : Rob Schremp
6. NYRangers : Andrew Ladd
7. Florida : Wojtech Wolski
8. Carolina : Lauri Tukonen
9. Mighty Ducks : Mike Green
10. Atlanta : Alexandre Picard
11. Los Angeles : Wes O'Neill
12. Minnesota : Drew Stafford
13. Buffalo : Kyle Chipchura
14. Edmonton : Boris Valabik

CapsCrazy

Mar 27, 2004
Harrisburg, PA
People who are saying the Caps "tanked" obviously are not thinking about what they are saying. Put yourself in Leonsis' shoes. You have a high-paid, underachieving team that is among the bottom five all season. I'll repeat that - we were doing bad all season. It's not like once we traded all those players we descended into the bottom 5. Wouldn't you trade all those high-paid players for young players with lots of potential? I know I would, especially considering there most likely will not be an NHL season next year. The lockout means the players we traded will only get a year older, while the youngsters we brought in will get another year of experience, which will improve their game. Trading Jagr and Gonchar was the best possible thing the Caps could have done. It takes a lot for an owner to realize that the team needs to rebuild, and Leonsis was able to do that. This should prove to be a very smart decision in a couple years. As for Yeats, what I have heard is that we signed the guy basically as a try-out for the AHL and NHL. The Caps likely won't hold onto him since we're very deep in net, but it was showcasing the guy to other NHL teams in hopes of having him impress a couple teams and sign a contract with them next season. We weren't "tanking" the season with him.

And I read earlier in this thread that even though the Caps will get Ovechkin, our prospect pool is only average. That's funny because everything I've read says Ouellet, Aulin, Semin, Fehr, Gordon, Eminger, Sutherby, Fleischmann, Klepis, and Morrissonn (among others) will be solid NHL players. Add Ovechkin to that group, along with players like Witt, Zubrus, Halpern, and Kolzig, and that is a legitimate team say, two years from now. Saying Pittsburgh has a better youth movement than the Caps is just absurd, and since we're on HF boards, Hockey's Future themselves gives the Caps the 2nd best prospect pool, while the Pens are 9th. Also, in my opinion, the Pens need not worry about getting the #2 pick in this year's draft, but whether or not they will ever have a pick after this year. If the league does indeed lockout for a season or more, it's a very real possibility that Pittsburgh would contract. I'm sure this will invoke some retaliatory remarks, but you have to realize that this is true - the Pens aren't the most stable of franchises financially, and that is the reason why teams will be forced to contract.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
How good is Olesz? Ithought Schremp was supposed to be the consolation prize for Ovechkin-he's obviously been unseated by Malkin-but 5th overall?

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
CapsCrazy said:
I'm sure this will invoke some retaliatory remarks, but you have to realize that this is true - the Pens aren't the most stable of franchises financially, and that is the reason why teams will be forced to contract.

The Pens are far more stable financially than the Caps have been this season. Having a rich owner doesn't mean that everything is fine with the franchise and losing money isn't a big deal.

The Pens future is tied to a new arena.....the Caps already have one, what is their excuse?

ej_pens

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
nurminen31 said:
How good is Olesz? Ithought Schremp was supposed to be the consolation prize for Ovechkin-he's obviously been unseated by Malkin-but 5th overall?

He's a headcase. It's going to be tough for any GM to take a chance on drafting him early

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
JDB3939 said:
I would like to say I just didn't want to see him in Washington. But then again, I didn't want him in NY, Columbus, or Chicago either. Chicago would have hurt the least.

Congrats Washington fans. Rebuild right and we'll see you in the conference finals a few years down the road. Just tell Alexander to keep his head up or Orpik might knock it off :)

Thank you very much for being above all this mud-slinging BS and showing some class....it's appreciated. As for you guys losing out, well I've really been intrigued by Malkin all year and think he'll be an absolutly great player (though those concussions scare me a bit....kids with concussions always make me think of Stefan and how they stunted his developement). I really hope the Pens benefit enuff from the new CBA that they can survive the final few years of that dreadful lease and by then have a competetive team by then so u can maybe get a new arena and keep the team in Pittsburgh....as much as I hate that team for killin the Caps every playoffs, any market that small that gets that much support deserves a team. Besides, I need the Pens to stick around long enuff for the Caps (and Ovy....I still can't friggin beleive it) to even the score for those playoff defeats (still picturing Nedved's 3OT goal). :)

lakings87

Jul 1, 2003
Jozeph_Balej said:
My guesses ..

1. Washington : Alexander Ovechkin
2. Pittsburgh : Evgeni Malkin
3. Chicago : Cam Barker
4. Columbus : Rostislav Olesz
5. Phoenix : Rob Schremp
6. NYRangers : Andrew Ladd
7. Florida : Wojtech Wolski
8. Carolina : Lauri Tukonen
9. Mighty Ducks : Mike Green
10. Atlanta : Alexandre Picard
11. Los Angeles : Wes O'Neill
12. Minnesota : Drew Stafford
13. Buffalo : Kyle Chipchura
14. Edmonton : Boris Valabik
I bet you we pick a goalie, either Schwarz or Montoya.

JDB3939

Jun 25, 2002
Natrona Heights, PA
Visit site
b-mad said:
Thank you very much for being above all this mud-slinging BS and showing some class....it's appreciated. As for you guys losing out, well I've really been intrigued by Malkin all year and think he'll be an absolutly great player (though those concussions scare me a bit....kids with concussions always make me think of Stefan and how they stunted his developement). I really hope the Pens benefit enuff from the new CBA that they can survive the final few years of that dreadful lease and by then have a competetive team by then so u can maybe get a new arena and keep the team in Pittsburgh....as much as I hate that team for killin the Caps every playoffs, any market that small that gets that much support deserves a team. Besides, I need the Pens to stick around long enuff for the Caps (and Ovy....I still can't friggin beleive it) to even the score for those playoff defeats (still picturing Nedved's 3OT goal). :)

No problem. I may not like the Caps and may wish for your teams demise in the playoffs every year, lol, but I still respect them. Ovechkin is a great prize for enduring this horrible season. Just don't ruin him. The best thing you ever did for Alexander was getting Jagr out of Washington before his arrival.

As for the playoffs? See you there in a few years. When you curse his name after ending your seasons, remember, it's spelled F-L-E-U-R-Y :)

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I could see Washington trading the 1st overall to New York, getting their crapload of picks in return plus a player or two.

Imagine the amount of picks Washington would have?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
DownFromNJ said:
I could see Washington trading the 1st overall to New York, getting their crapload of picks in return plus a player or two.

They already have five in the first two rounds, three in the first. Better to go with quality now. Prospect depth is not a problem anymore. They need quality impact players. Ovechkin will fit the bill perfectly. I really can't see the pick being dealt.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
DownFromNJ said:

I highly doubt it.

The Caps need to add a few premium prospects to the lists of quality players they already have.

Adding 2-3 defensemen to the stock of players we have is the next goal, (after taking Ovechkin)

Defensemen sometimes take a little longer to develop, but hopefully the Caps will get a good hold on some good ones.

Still got a decent amount of picks next year to come.

And I can understand all the hate against the Capitals. Seeing a team swoop in and take the first pick from a team who's been waiting patiently for that day for a good 2 years now must burn.

I once again never expected Ovechkin and would've been happy with anything in the top 5.

One more thing...

How long till some of you get over it?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Pens4ever said:
Florida won that lottery, we traded to get the 1st overall.
thanks for catching me, i remebered after i posted - but it was so busy i couldnt fix it. true enough, florida was the team to leap frog the canes.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
In defense of Columbus, they lost Svitov, Marchant and Malhotra to injuries in the last week and a half of the season, which is when Mauldin (the college tryout) was with the team. The team also went 5-3 in their last eight (two of the losses were to Colorado and Detroit too).

im not saying they were flat out tanking, just managerially doing what they could to help the process. my complaint with maudlin is, how can you let a guy play in the nhl without getting paid? how is that not suspect? he certailny deserves some compensation for playing - it looks bad to me.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
CapsCrazy said:
People who are saying the Caps "tanked" obviously are not thinking about what they are saying. Trading Jagr and Gonchar was the best possible thing the Caps could have done. It takes a lot for an owner to realize that the team needs to rebuild, and Leonsis was able to do that. This should prove to be a very smart decision in a couple years. As for Yeats, what I have heard is that we signed the guy basically as a try-out for the AHL and NHL. The Caps likely won't hold onto him since we're very deep in net, but it was showcasing the guy to other NHL teams in hopes of having him impress a couple teams and sign a contract with them next season. We weren't "tanking" the season with him.

im not saying they were tanking when they traded all the players, just when they sent a couple of prospects (eminger?, gordon?) along with ouellette to help with the ahl run. i think taking your nhl prospects who are already there and are ready for the experience....and sending them down to the minors to be replaced with minor leaguers who were paid to be minor leaguers qualifies as possible tanking. why couldnt they keep oullette stay in the nhl for another month, THEN send him down for the playoffs? if yeats was signed to be the minor league goalie - why is he splitting starts at the nhl level with kolzig? just so oullette can finish the last month and a half of the season in the minors? they can say what they want about the reasons for these moves - it looks bad and clearly could help them lose games. thats why i think they helped themselves at the end of this season (draft-wise). the fact that yeats was trying out for AHL makes it look worse, a guy they didnt know could start at the ahl level getting starts the last month of the season when its clear so many teams wanted ovechkin is at the very least suspicious.

graywolfe81

Apr 6, 2004
I'm having a hard time understanding some of the hating of the Caps on this thread. Some have been reasonable, but really, is there any reason to hate them? My caps are just about the unluckiest team in the modern history of the NHL when it comes to the playoffs. Hell, you should put Cubs or Red Sox gear on them anytime it's late april, early may, and people wouldn't know the difference. Even w/the ice, pucks, sticks, gear and goals instead of a home plate.

Really do the penguins have any cause to b!tch? What's happened to your franchise in terms of money, stability and the future is terribly worrisome, but at the same time, when haven't our beloved caps been you're ready and willing victim anytime you were down 1 games to 3, or 0 games to 2?

It's not enough that our Caps have choked in just about every meaningful late in a series game in their history? It's not enough that when they finally got an owner who was actually interested in the product (as opposed to Pollin who stopped watching the second he realized hockey was played on ice), they found an even more hideous away leads, wheter it be Pittsburgh or Tampa Bay, w/star players or without.

No one deserves anything in any sport, either you get something, or you don't, either you win it, or you don't.

But to actually feel anger, envy or hatred of the caps of all teams, is like hating the Cubs, or the Red Sox, or the Saints, or Browns, or the Clippers or Boulez. It just doesn't make sense.

Today the caps got lucky. It's about the first time its ever even happened to the franchise.

Besides, more than a few people suggest that as Malkin matures, if he can stay healthy, he may superpass Overchkin. And besides, there are no certainities with these guys, just possibilities and relative probabilities.

My thoughts, for what they were worth.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
fwiw, i dont hate the caps. i just found that last month suspicious. as for bad luck, try being a cane/ whale fan. we went on a winning streak to celebrate being eliminated from the playoffs, taking us out of todays action. not to mention last years lose of the first pick....and 30 years of overall futility. i understand your pain. i hop=e ovechkin helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad