Washington wins the lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
JDB3939 said:
No problem. I may not like the Caps and may wish for your teams demise in the playoffs every year, lol, but I still respect them. Ovechkin is a great prize for enduring this horrible season. Just don't ruin him. The best thing you ever did for Alexander was getting Jagr out of Washington before his arrival.

As for the playoffs? See you there in a few years. When you curse his name after ending your seasons, remember, it's spelled F-L-E-U-R-Y :)

I figure it's gonna go well with the F-L-U-R-R-Y of shots he's gonna see from Ovy, Semin, Fehr, Aulin, Klepis, Fleischmann, etc...... :lol

BTW, it pronounced Oohhh-lettt

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
X-SHARKIE said:
I got nothing against the caps...but man they do not need this nearly as bad as the Penguins did.

Mannnn..

The Caps have a wealth of solid prospects, but weren't a lot of Pens fans claiming the same for their organization? And they're probably adding Malkin!

Gumby

Nov 14, 2003
By the beach!! FL
Visit site
DownFromNJ said:
I could see Washington trading the 1st overall to New York, getting their crapload of picks in return plus a player or two.

Imagine the amount of picks Washington would have?

Are u serious? The Caps have a ton of forward and goalie prospects and plenty of picks so what exactly should they deal the best draft prospect to come along since probably Lindros for?.....Lundmark?
Get real. The pick ain't goin anywhere so stop dreamin.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Karma is a *****. Lemieux and patrick tried to screw the system and got exactly what they deserved! :handclap:

I couldn't be happier for the Caps! I was rooting for the Hawks to get it, them being an original 6 team and having a really kickass fanbase but the Caps can use Ovechkin. They don't exactly have all that many quality youngsters anyway. The owner has shown in the recent past a real desire to win but an inability to do so.

This may have been for the best. Now all the Capitals need is to fire crappy-George and they're in business!

Hopefully, this will be a lesson to teams who play to lose. And it sure should be a lesson for the Pens fans who spent months embarassing themselves and their team with those crappy Ovechkin jerseys.

The next step should be to make sure this never happens again. Those race for the bottom of the standings hurt the credibility of hockey greatly. It's an embarassment to what this game is about.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Holy crap Vlad, are you ever way off. Any time the Penguins are brought up, your credibility goes out the window and some sort of bias comes in.

You can NOT tell me that starting Matt Yeats 3 straight games is not tanking. If that's what you're referring to as the "karma" of the situation.

Lemieux and patrick tried to screw the system and got exactly what they deserved... I couldn't be happier for the Caps... The owner has shown in the recent past a real desire to win but an inability to do so... Now all the Capitals need is to fire crappy-George and they're in business!

So what you're saying is.. The Penguins deserved to lose the lottery because their management sucks, but the Capitals deserved to win the lottery despite the fact that their management sucks?

And it sure should be a lesson for the Pens fans who spent months embarassing themselves and their team with those crappy Ovechkin jerseys.
How the heck do the fans play into this? That was in good fun. The Penguins locked up 1st or 2nd overall, so I made the Ovechkin/Malkin GIF. How did I embarrass myself?

The next step should be to make sure this never happens again. Those race for the bottom of the standings hurt the credibility of hockey greatly. It's an embarassment to what this game is about.
Take a look at the Capitals' roster some time. Just look at it.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacobv2 said:
Holy crap Vlad, are you ever way off. Any time the Penguins are brought up, your credibility goes out the window and some sort of bias comes in.

You can NOT tell me that starting Matt Yeats 3 straight games is not tanking. If that's what you're referring to as the "karma" of the situation.

So what you're saying is.. The Penguins deserved to lose the lottery because their management sucks, but the Capitals deserved to win the lottery despite the fact that their management sucks?

How the heck do the fans play into this? That was in good fun. The Penguins locked up 1st or 2nd overall, so I made the Ovechkin/Malkin GIF. How did I embarrass myself?

Jacob, any chance I could get you to make a Capitals Ovechkin avatar?

:lol

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jacobv2 said:

You are right that many teams showed signs of following the Penguins despicable strategy. Just shows how horrible the situation is and how bad the lottery system is! :thumbd:

Jacobv2 said:

The Pens management sucks on purpose. Craig patrick is, IMO, a good general manager. He's proven it in the past. He's excellent. he simply has been Mario's lackey for a number of years now. He's great, he just doesn't have any balls.

Jacobv2 said:

They made an effort at least. They tried early on. The pens just had a masterplan from day one. A sad, shameful, unethical masterplan to finish last. They tried to turn hockey into a clownish sideshow. I am SO glad that they failed. I'm thrilled that all the efforts to suck, the unloading of good veterans for bag of pucks, the efforts to instill a climate of crappy play and the great loss of revenues because of all this have all been for nothing. Absolutely nothing :razz:

Today is a great day for hockey. A conscious long term plan to lose failed. Hopefully it alleviates the effect this crappy system has on teams :hockey:

graywolfe81

Apr 6, 2004
The Caps have a great situation in regards to their farm system. I don't get where you could rip it? They've parlayed poor seasons in '01-'02 and '03-'04 into quite a few good-very good prospects and a few great ones.

We've got a decent young core to build around in:

Halpern, Pettinger, Semin, Zubrus and possibly Willsie as forwards. The defense is utter cr@p other than Witt admittedly, and we've got Kolzig who'll be nice if we keep him around or good value for a potential trade.

But down on the farm we have Ouellett, Daigenault, and Stana in goal, and at minimum two of the three should be solid-very good at the NHL based on current returns. On the defensive end there isn't a lot, only the injury prone Yonkman, Cutta, Emminger and Morrisonn all of whom have NHL experience, and in Morrisonn, Emminger and Yonkman three potentially very good defensemen if they can stay healthy. At forward we have Fehr, Aulin, Fleischmann, Klepis, Laich, Johansson and Gordon, and I would be very surprised if more than 2 of these guys fail to make an impact at the next level.

The Caps have a young core already experienced at the NHL level, and a farm system at least 12 deep when it comes to NHL caliber players. Some might not make it, but at least at this time, these guys are generally regarded as NHL Bound. The only knock on them is that outside of the goalies, and Fehr, and possibly Klepis, none of them are considered top drawer elite prospects. Still there is depth and skill in the farm system, youth and skill on the big club, and 5 draft picks in the top 60 of the draft, including 4 in the top 33 overall.

I don't have the most faith in GMGM, but w/this much ammo he may be able to pull off an '02 rather than a '99 when it comes to making his draft picks.

The Caps are a very cr@ppy team right now, but the cupboard is not bear, not in the least, and I think the team did a good job of dealing w/the cost cutting interests of it's owner, and the lack of a loyal paying fan base (though understandable considering the attrocious playoff history, and the recent inconsistent efforts to even make the playoffs since the decline began in '96-'97). The Caps landed six quality prospects w/upside and quite a few draft picks in this year and beyond.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Vlad The Impaler said:
They made an effort at least. They tried early on. The pens just had a masterplan from day one. A sad, shameful, unethical masterplan to finish last. They tried to turn hockey into a clownish sideshow. I am SO glad that they failed. I'm thrilled that all the efforts to suck, the unloading of good veterans for bag of pucks, the efforts to instill a climate of crappy play and the great loss of revenues because of all this have all been for nothing. Absolutely nothing :razz:

:

How was what the Penguins did shameful and unethical? They finished last. But they were there since day one. Clownish sideshow? I mean, that's just a tad harsh.
Today is a great day for hockey. A conscious long term plan to lose failed. Hopefully it alleviates the effect this crappy system has on teams :hockey
How does a team plan to lose long-term? And why? And how is that worse than a make shift plan to lose, such as the Capitals and Rangers are doing?

The Penguins unloaded salaries out of necessity, not out of spite, as you seem to think. I'm not even entirely sure if your comments aren't just jokes, but if they aren't, you need to get a clue and fast.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Vlad The Impaler said:
They tried to turn hockey into a clownish sideshow. I am SO glad that they failed. I'm thrilled that all the efforts to suck, the unloading of good veterans for bag of pucks, the efforts to instill a climate of crappy play and the great loss of revenues because of all this have all been for nothing. Absolutely nothing :razz:

Today is a great day for hockey. A conscious long term plan to lose failed. Hopefully it alleviates the effect this crappy system has on teams :hockey:

Crappy play, like finishing with the second best overall record in franchise history for March.

The NHL doesn't need any one team to make it a sideshow, it manages to do that on its own.

I think its time you get over the Mario hate fetish.

Kind of sad to be honest.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
it seems like understanding the basic ideals of the Penguins team is like some warped mindf**k, perplexing people into creating these ludicrous self idealogies of how they think the organization is run

or :banghead:

Liquidrage*

Stanger31 said:
NUMBER 4 is COLUMBUS or CBJ. Just to clarify, as COL means Colorado, I was thinking, "who the hell gave colorado a top pick?" and "colorado held onto a first round pick long enough to use it?" Just clarifying.

Thanks...

I was pulling a WTF? When did they get that pick? :joker:

CapsCrazy

Mar 27, 2004
Harrisburg, PA
bleedgreen said:
im not saying they were tanking when they traded all the players, just when they sent a couple of prospects (eminger?, gordon?) along with ouellette to help with the ahl run. i think taking your nhl prospects who are already there and are ready for the experience....and sending them down to the minors to be replaced with minor leaguers who were paid to be minor leaguers qualifies as possible tanking. why couldnt they keep oullette stay in the nhl for another month, THEN send him down for the playoffs? if yeats was signed to be the minor league goalie - why is he splitting starts at the nhl level with kolzig? just so oullette can finish the last month and a half of the season in the minors? they can say what they want about the reasons for these moves - it looks bad and clearly could help them lose games. thats why i think they helped themselves at the end of this season (draft-wise). the fact that yeats was trying out for AHL makes it look worse, a guy they didnt know could start at the ahl level getting starts the last month of the season when its clear so many teams wanted ovechkin is at the very least suspicious.
Sending Eminger, Gordon, and them down WAS in fact to help Portland make a playoff push. Why have them suffer losses in the NHL and not gain much experience when they could gain playoff experience in the AHL if they make it? That was management's plan - have the young guys gain playoff experience while creating chemistry both on and off the ice. It makes perfect sense to me. If the Caps were in the playoff hunt when they got sent down, then yes, it would have looked shady. But the fact is we were already way out of the playoffs. So why not have one team make the playoffs instead of none? This also explains why Yeats was playing in the NHL. Ouellet and Stana are the goalies in Portland and have been doing an awesome job. So we're not going to all of a sudden get Yeats and play him in Portland when we already have two goalies who are having great seasons. Plus, Yeats posted a 3.12 GAA and a .908 save %. That's not bad, so obviously he wasn't in there to purposely lose games. Heck, Kolzig's numbers this year were a 2.89 GAA and a .908 save % (yes, that's the same save % as Yeats). So the difference between Yeats and Olie was .23 goals a game. We must have really been trying to lose games! A whole .23 goals per game!

Vlad, you say the lottery is a "crappy system", yet it did exactly what you wanted to happen. You're saying I'm so glad the Pens didn't get the #1 pick because they purposely sucked. Were it not for the lotto, they would have gotten the pick. It just sounds to me like you're contradicting yourself, maybe you can clarify?

Kabers

Mar 20, 2004
Maryland
Being a Caps fan, I am estatic and in utter disbelief of winning the lottery because, being a Caps fan, I never would have imagined it happening in a million years. And, being a Caps fan, I still won't believe we have Ovechkin until I see him put on the sweater. Knowing this franchise, who's to say that we won't waste this pick on Barker or something completely insane and unforgivable like that.

And all this talk of tanking is ridiculous, especially from the Pens fans (Do you even remember how you got Mario??). The Caps were sucking with their star-studded roster the entire first half of the season, so tanking wasn't necessary to secure us a position in the bottom 5. No one can blame Ted for blowing up a high-priced team that couldn't and wouldn't win and starting over from scratch. We actually played a heck of a lot better once Jagr, et al. made their way out of here. I'll agree that while our management made some suspect decisions (a lot of them were in the interest of our minor league team and trying to help them make a push at the playoffs) , ones that I don't necessarily agree with. Even so, the players still went out there and played hard and with pride everyday and actually put up a strong showing towards the end.

And besides, the lottery is all luck anyway. So if you don't mind, I'm gonna enjoy this good luck while it lasts, the first that this franchise has had in a long time.

Grave77digger

Feb 27, 2004
profiles.sports.yahoo.com
Vlad The Impaler said:

not sure where your coming from or why your hating on the Pens but...
last 20 games 12-5-3, also there power play went from 30th to 6th or 7th

hardly a team trying to tank it, your more than likely an ignorant to the facts hater who has no right making assumptions about a team they may have watched once all season

As for the lotto gratz to the Caps,its been a nice onesided rivalry, and I still maintain that the lotto encourages tanking by making the 1st pick available to the bottom 5.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Vlad The Impaler said:
You are right that many teams showed signs of following the Penguins despicable strategy. Just shows how horrible the situation is and how bad the lottery system is!

The Pens management sucks on purpose. Craig patrick is, IMO, a good general manager. He's proven it in the past. He's excellent. he simply has been Mario's lackey for a number of years now. He's great, he just doesn't have any balls.

They made an effort at least. They tried early on. The pens just had a masterplan from day one. A sad, shameful, unethical masterplan to finish last. They tried to turn hockey into a clownish sideshow. I am SO glad that they failed. I'm thrilled that all the efforts to suck, the unloading of good veterans for bag of pucks, the efforts to instill a climate of crappy play and the great loss of revenues because of all this have all been for nothing. Absolutely nothing

Today is a great day for hockey. A conscious long term plan to lose failed. Hopefully it alleviates the effect this crappy system has on teams

You used to be smart, what happened?

You're the only person on this planet who could say, and honestly believe that the Penguins tanked anything this year.

They played their hearts out for 82 games this year and turned it on because the team got better because of experience.

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
this is ridiculous. the pens, craig patrick, mario lemieux, everyone would take jagr, straka, lang, kovalev, kasparaitis back in a second if they could AFFORD them. this has nothing to do with shameful tanking. their plan was to play young guys all season, let them take their lumps, and be better for it in the long run.

and how is patrick lemieux's lackey? if the pens could afford to keep their stars, they wouldve. they got crap deals because everyone knew we were in a financial bind.

this penguin bashing is sad. this team went 12-5-3 over the last 20 games, and adding fleury, malkin, and possibly lemieux for next season is only going to help.

the franchise will stabilize again when they get a new arena, but until then we can only hope they get better each season, and i can almost guarantee they won't be in the crosby sweepstakes next year. (as in finish bottom 5)

until then all this seems like kicking us while we're down.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Grave77digger said:
As for the lotto gratz to the Caps,its been a nice onesided rivalry

what do past playoffs have to do with this draft lottery?.....the answer is nothing....its just something many of you Pit fans feel the need to bring up whenever the two teams are mentioned in the same sentence....I realize its fun to throw jabs at teams that are some sort of rivals......but I think its the sign of a desperate group to bring it up so often...and at strange times.....not to mention it seems like most of you forget that much of the success was when Pit had the best team in the NHL.....with IMO the best forward to ever play (another topic I know)....I know thae Caps blew leads....and lost to teams sans 66....but they also beat Pit too (w/ 66).....again....I know its one sided....but c'mon......Pit had a great, stacked team.....and often the Caps gave them about as much as they could handle..........and what does it have to do with the draft lottery?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Grave77digger said:
As for the lotto gratz to the Caps,its been a nice onesided rivalry, and I still maintain that the lotto encourages tanking by making the 1st pick available to the bottom 5.

Certainly doesn't hurt having a few of the bottom teams lose a few extra to improve their percentages. But what would it have gained the Caps to lose another game or two?

Not quite sure.

And a simple reminder, the Capitals were dead last in the NHL (for a few weeks) with Jagr, Gonchar, Lang, Grier, Kolzig playing (although quite poorly) and so on.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Mothra said:
what do past playoffs have to do with this draft lottery?.....the answer is nothing....its just something many of you Pit fans feel the need to bring up whenever the two teams are mentioned in the same sentence....I realize its fun to throw jabs at teams that are some sort of rivals......but I think its the sign of a desperate group to bring it up so often...and at strange times.....not to mention it seems like most of you forget that much of the success was when Pit had the best team in the NHL.....with IMO the best forward to ever play (another topic I know)....I know thae Caps blew leads....and lost to teams sans 66....but they also beat Pit too (w/ 66).....again....I know its one sided....but c'mon......Pit had a great, stacked team.....and often the Caps gave them about as much as they could handle..........and what does it have to do with the draft lottery?

Nice post.

As much as the Penguins could handle with hard work, old fashioned grind it out, sensible hockey. No flashy stars on the Caps. Bondra, if he was ever one to puff out his chest, could have been, back during his 50 goal years. But I can recall many many games he would sacrifice himself for a lose puck, or play on the Penalty Kill (something many stars will not do nowadays) just for the betterment of the team.

Only till Jagr has this team ever had 'stars' or 'premier players'. And it failed. It's nice to have Ovechkin, and I hope he's an excellent player. He'll only make Semin that much better. But the main goal is that he plays solid two way hockey along with hopefully some scoring.

I_r_1337

Jun 10, 2003
Washington D.C.
Visit site
:banghead: <---every Pens fan who laughed at us for tanking and not finishing last hahahahahaha..I'm sorry I am from the official caps boards and we get nothing but pens fans trolling and acting like asses. Sorry to all you civilized Pens fans.. I bow down to you and wish you the best of luck with Malkin. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->