Value of: Washington Goalies

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Unless Anderson finds a way to reset and get quicker(he has looked slower this year) during the off season, then Holtby might be a good option for the Sens. Interesting thing, is both Anderson and Holtby play a similar style.
fair enough, i was thinking a trade around Hoffman and Grubauer+ but it seems like Holtby has taken a step back and will be more expensive.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Simmonds + Neuvirth for Holtby.
No to Neuvirth, as he's made of glass. Flyers have to attempt to trade Neuvirth for whatever they can get or they might be stuck with him for a year. Also, you have Mrazek(RFA) and Elliot, plus a future #1 in Carter Hart. I think the Flyers will stick with Elliot/Mrazek for next season. Last, why would they trade Simmonds?

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
No to Neuvirth, as he's made of glass. Flyers have to attempt to trade Neuvirth for whatever they can get or they might be stuck with him for a year. Also, you have Mrazek(RFA) and Elliot, plus a future #1 in Carter Hart. I think the Flyers will stick with Elliot/Mrazek for next season. Last, why would they trade Simmonds?
I don't think they are going to re- sign Mrazek. So that still leaves Elliott, Neuvirth, Stolarz, Lyon and Hart for NHL and AHL duties.

Neuvirth getting hurt would be ok, if Elliott and Stolarz ALSO did not get hurt. It would have given Stolarz a chance to see what he could do.

As for the deal, it bridges to Hart. Hart with 1 year in AHL, then one as NHL backup. That was my thinking.

As for trading Simmonds, it's all about what makes sense for the future. He is on the Flyers 3rd line behind Voracek and Konecny. Re-signing him doesn't make sense give he won't be a top 6 winger with us. To another team, he will be. Allocation his cap hit to a good goalie like Holtby would make sense for Philly. And for Wash, it replaces Wildon on the top line with Simmonds...a similar player with much better finish.

Reactions: BernieParent

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
You're literally just making stuff up and passing it off as fact while also making ridiculous declarative statements. Holtby has the 6th highest cap hit amongst goalies. He makes $100k more than Kari Lehtonen. At 27 years old, he's won one Vezina and been nominated for another in the past two years. His cap hit is completely reasonable and to say he wouldn't even garner a 3rd just shows you're incapable or unwilling to look at the situation objectively.
oh i am, you however are not. the 6th highest cap hit puts him in the upper echelon of goalies,by salary and youre a damn liar to boot, its common knowledge that the caps want to move Holtby because his play has slipped and they feel that grubauer can give them the same at a fraction of the cost especially with Samsonov nearly ready. so keep your lies to yourself.

the facts are that the caps need cap relief like most contenders and would welcome a trade of Holtby especially with John Carlson, Tom Wilson Michal Kempny Jay Biegel Alex Chiasson and Grubauer seeking new contracts, when you are a mere,$107,000 under the cap. I just love it when people like you get exposed because they think fans in other cities dont read. thats 6 members of your team that need new deals and Carlson alone is rumored to be asking for a raise of better than 2M by himself.

so keep your baldfaced lies to yourself. the only way youll do better than a 3rd for Holtby is if you take a salary back and youre not in a position to do that.After all didnt your own GM, Brian MacLellan say he couldnt add Mike Green at the Deadline because you couldnt fit him under the cap?

Last edited:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Philly's getting ripped off in that trade. No way.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
oh i am, you however are not. the 6th highest cap hit puts him in the upper echelon of goalies,by salary and youre a damn liar to boot, its common knowledge that the caps want to move Holtby because his play has slipped and they feel that grubauer can give them the same at a fraction of the cost especially with Samsonov nearly ready. so keep your lies to yourself.

the facts are that the caps need cap relief like most contenders and would welcome a trade of Holtby especially with John Carlson, Tom Wilson Michal Kempny Jay Biegel Alex Chiasson and Grubauer seeking new contracts, when you are a mere,$107,000 under the cap. I just love it when people like you get exposed because they think fans in other cities dont read. thats 6 members of your team that need new deals and Carlson alone is rumored to be asking for a raise of better than 2M by himself.

so keep your baldfaced lies to yourself. the only way youll do better than a 3rd for Holtby is if you take a salary back and youre not in a position to do that.After all didnt your own GM, Brian MacLellan say he couldnt add Mike Green at the Deadline because you couldnt fit him under the cap?

Buddy, stop being so mad. Your entire post is wrong, just like the last one, but that's no reason to sling insults. Find one report saying the Caps want to move Holtby. You won't, because again you're making stuff up and declaring it as a fact. The Caps have switched to Grubauer for exactly 4 of the last 5 games to give Holtby a "reset." And yeah, Holtby is a top goalie. In the past two years he's been a Vezina finalist, a Vezina winner, and a projected member of Team Canada's Olympic team. I'd say that qualifies him as elite, yeah? So keep your lies to yourself!

Again with making assumptions and passing them off as facts! Tisk tisk. You're assuming the Caps want to resign all of their UFAs. And you're assuming they need to trade Holtby to resign the ones they want to keep. Assuming is not a good look on you bud.

The whole premise here is the Caps have two terrific goaltenders on their roster and one of the best goaltending prospects in the world heading to North America next year. It's perfectly natural to have a discussion about which ones to keep and who would return what in a trade. Just because you're talking out of your ass doesn't mean the rest of us need to.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Buddy, stop being so mad. Your entire post is wrong, just like the last one, but that's no reason to sling insults. Find one report saying the Caps want to move Holtby. You won't, because again you're making stuff up and declaring it as a fact. The Caps have switched to Grubauer for exactly 4 of the last 5 games to give Holtby a "reset." And yeah, Holtby is a top goalie. In the past two years he's been a Vezina finalist, a Vezina winner, and a projected member of Team Canada's Olympic team. I'd say that qualifies him as elite, yeah? So keep your lies to yourself!

Again with making assumptions and passing them off as facts! Tisk tisk. You're assuming the Caps want to resign all of their UFAs. And you're assuming they need to trade Holtby to resign the ones they want to keep. Assuming is not a good look on you bud.

The whole premise here is the Caps have two terrific goaltenders on their roster and one of the best goaltending prospects in the world heading to North America next year. It's perfectly natural to have a discussion about which ones to keep and who would return what in a trade. Just because you're talking out of your ass doesn't mean the rest of us need to.

im assuming nothing, John Carlson is your best defender and you arent going to let him walk, everything I said is factual, youre just trying to cover the fact that youre in deep cap Jail. you of course want to get as much for holtby as you can but youre fooling yourself. other teams know exactly the position youre in, even if most fans dont and he is no longer elite

consider his goals against average of 3.o3 compared to his career mark of 2.41 or his save percentage .906 as compared to his current .906 which ranks him 60th in the NHL. almost a full goal a game higher than his teammate Grubauer

of course you dont want others to think about that because that would crater his value.but as a point of fact Robin Lehner, Jimmy Howard, Kari Lehtonen, Ondrej Pavelec,and Michal Neuvirth are all doingconsiderably better than Holtby this year, they werent giving a reset, they Benched him to play the better goalie, or risk losing playoff positioning, since what was once an 8 point lead over Pittsburgh is down to 2, and Shrinking by the day, they couldnt let holtby cost them the extra avantage of the extra home game against the penguins

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
im assuming nothing, John Carlson is your best defender and you arent going to let him walk, everything I said is factual, youre just trying to cover the fact that youre in deep cap Jail. you of course want to get as much for holtby as you can but youre fooling yourself. other teams know exactly the position youre in, even if most fans dont and he is no longer elite

consider his goals against average of 3.o3 compared to his career mark of 2.41 or his save percentage .906 as compared to his current .906 which ranks him 60th in the NHL. almost a full goal a game higher than his teammate Grubauer

of course you dont want others to think about that because that would crater his value.but as a point of fact Robin Lehner, Jimmy Howard, Kari Lehtonen, Ondrej Pavelec,and Michal Neuvirth are all doingconsiderably better than Holtby this year, they werent giving a reset, they Benched him to play the better goalie, or risk losing playoff positioning, since what was once an 8 point lead over Pittsburgh is down to 2, and Shrinking by the day, they couldnt let holtby cost them the extra avantage of the extra home game against the penguins

I could tear this to shreds again but considering you don't actually respond to anything I write I'm going to bounce out from this convo and wish you a good day.

P.S. Still waiting for proof that it's common knowledge the Caps want to move on from Holtby.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Trade Holtby for a defenseman or two? Man, I wish Vancouver had him. Our goaltending is horrendous.

Last edited by a moderator:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Trade Holtby for a defenseman or two? Man, I wish Vancouver had him. Our goaltending is horrendous.
So you'd take his contract and give up a your first for him, and send no cap back? Doubtful. Your totally missing the point. As an Islander fan we can use him too. But not to the point of eating $6M in cap space AND giving up our 1st to boot.. I seriously doubt Jim Benning agrees with you.

Don't post incompetent thoughts like that, when you know in truth you'd NEVER Actually do it. Why would you give up your first and give up $6M in cap space for Holtby...? And don't you dare say you never said I would, because your post sure implied that.

Last edited:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
So you'd take his contract and give up a your first for him, and send no cap back? Doubtful. Your totally missing the point. As an Islander fan we can use him too. But not to the point of eating $6M in cap space AND giving up 1st to boot.. I seriously doubt Jim Benning agrees with you.

I was giving a rough sketch of the trade. Details must be included in some shape or form. Yes, Jim Benning may disagree with me; it is not as he's an astute general manager. :D

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I was giving a rough sketch of the trade. Details must be included in some shape or form. Yes, Jim Benning may disagree with me; it is not as he's an astute general manager. :D
You see what Caps fans want, they want your 1st and they don't want a contract back.

Do you do that?

If so there's a deal to be made, I'm sure of it. But I'm betting you don't really mean what you say. But if you do Washington's GM would jump at the opportunity because with Grubauer, Samsonov and Carlson, that offer is a dream come true.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
You see what Caps fans want, they want your 1st and they don't want a contract back.

Do you do that?

If so there's a deal to be made, I'm sure of it. But I'm betting you don't really mean what you say.

They need to bolster their defense. They probably want a defenseman as much as they want picks, although I'm starting to speculate there's not much evidence that the Capitals want a first-rounder back. Also, Vancouver is not willing to give up their first-round pick, especially because it's a strong one.

Do you really mean what you say?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
They need to bolster their defense. They probably want a defenseman as much as they want picks, although I'm starting to speculate there's not much evidence that the Capitals want a first-rounder back. Also, Vancouver is not willing to give up their first-round pick, especially because it's a strong one.

Do you really mean what you say?
Yes I do. They want a first and they don't want a contract back. Their best defenseman is seeking a big raise from under 4 million and they are cap tight. And I know the Canucks won't move their 1st. That's why your post was disingenuous. There was no way you'd give what they want.

That was obvious from the start. But you implied you would, by saying you wished you had him. Saying that means your willing to pay the price to get him.

Everyone would love to have McDavid too but not too many are willing to pay what Edmonton would want for him

Last edited:

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Yes I do. They want a first and they don't want a contract back. Their best defenseman is seeking a big raise from under 4 million and they are cap tight. And I know the Canucks won't move their 1st. That's why your post was disingenuous. There was no way you'd give what they want.

That was obvious from the start. But you implied you would, by saying you wished you had him. Saying that means your willing to pay the price to get him.

Everyone would love to have McDavid too but not too many are willing to pay what Edmonton would want for him

Source?

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Read the thread the cap fans, the intelligent ones anyway, are saying a third Is way too little and they are saying No to any deals that bring a contract back. Guys like Txpd are pretty smart when it comes to his team, he doesnt want To move Holtby at all If it means taking less than value. and several have mentioned they cant take cap back. You don't need a source of you can comprehend the data and know who knows their stuff, and who doesnt. I've read Txpd's posts for Ten years, he's about as accurate a Caps poster that you Can find.

It's really pretty obvious what they'd like. If I had Grubauer and a young stud like Samsonov and Carlson to sign, if do exactly the same as their GM is

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Read the thread the cap fans, the intelligent ones anyway, are saying a third Is way too little and they are saying No to any deals that being a contract back. Guys like Txpd are pretty smart when it comes to his team, he doesnt want To move Holtby at all If it means taking less than value. and several have mentioned they cant take cap back. You don't need a source of you can comprehend the data and know who knows their stuff, and who doesnt. I've read Txpd's posts for Ten years, he's about as accurate a Caps poster that you Can find.

I didn't even know him. I'll go and read more about him. Thank you.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I didn't even know him. I'll go and read more about him. Thank you.
You're Welcome, there are Go To guys for every team. Make a list, over time you'll come to learn who really knows the ins and outs of their particular teams, I've been on this site in one form or another for 12 years, and I have kept lists of who really stays on top of things and who doesnt. Read team blogs for ALL teams, not just your own. Pretty soon you'll be able to see who is dealing straight with you and who aint.

Alot of folks dont like me, but those who know me, know I wont lie to them, Ive been wrong but im not afraid to admit It when i am, It goes with the territory, No one is Infalable. If you're gonna be honest, you'll be wrong from time to time

Reactions: discobob

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

He makes stuff up and passes it off as fact. His source is his own brain or other poster musings from this board. If you disagree with him you're a dodo and/or an ostrich. Fun stuff.

There are absolutely zero reports about the Caps wanting to move Holtby or what their price would be. Anything said otherwise is simply conjecture.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad