Value of: Washington Goalies

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Do not bother with any post sending a goalie back. Caps don't need goalies, and they can't absorb contracts without a similar amount or more going out the door.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Do not bother with any post sending a goalie back. Caps don't need goalies, and they can't absorb contracts without a similar amount or more going out the door.
youre right discobob, you seem to understand your team better than some others, I cant see the caps letting Carlson go or Kempny they are both too important to your defense and after the season he's had Grubauer is a keeper too, That is why I see trading Holtby as the smartest move, long term its Samsonovs job eventually anyway and with André Burakovsky eventually needing to be resigned something will need to be done, its nothing against Holtby, but with Grubauer and Samsonov its the Logical place to save money

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
youre right discobob, you seem to understand your team better than some others, I cant see the caps letting Carlson go or Kempny they are both too important to your defense and after the season he's had Grubauer is a keeper too, That is why I see trading Holtby as the smartest move, long term its Samsonovs job eventually anyway and with André Burakovsky eventually needing to be resigned something will need to be done, its nothing against Holtby, but with Grubauer and Samsonov its the Logical place to save money

Resigning Carlson (which our GM had basically committed to doing) is going to force the team to make some tough decisions. Getting rid of Orpik would help allot, but his contract has negative value...so...

I'm not sure if trading Holtby makes the most sense, but it means skimping elsewhere. That has to be weighed against the relative returns offered for Holts vs Grubi. There are a bunch of decisions that are all dependant on each other. No can be made without considering the ripple effect.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
At the risk of getting my a$$ ripped.

-Wash sends Holtby to NYI for Greiss and CGY 1st.
Not giving up what looks like a draft lottery pick for Holtby.
Hell imo the isles would not even give up a late first.
With two 2nd rounders and a glut of solid blue line prospects, those are the trade chips I expect will be used for goaltending.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Not giving up what looks like a draft lottery pick for Holtby.
Hell imo the isles would not even give up a late first.
With two 2nd rounders and a glut of solid blue line prospects, those are the trade chips I expect will be used for goaltending.

NYI should pursue for a quality 1B/Fringe goaltender like Khudobin.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Moving Holtby to lean on Grubauer seems like a pretty bad idea to me. I admittedly don't follow the caps super closely, but Holtby is a very proven goalie having a down year and Grubauer is a very unproven goalie having a good year with pretty light starts.

I think it's very likely Holtby rebounds next year and outperforms Grubauer. Not sure the Caps are really in a place to give up a really solid proven goalie for a question mark given the ages of the best players. Gonna have to strike soon if it's going to happen.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
We're not gonna lose Carlson. I could even see us make another run at EK65. So we have Wilson, Beagle, Chiasson, DSP, Boyd, Carlson, Jerabek, Kempny and Grubauer's contracts coming off the books. Of all the guys in this list, I only see us bringing Wilson, Boyd, Carlson and Kempny back. Grubauer is gone in 90% of cases.
see you seem to get what im saying though because if carlson wants 8M thats still 4 million more than this year, kempny at 2m is still a million more, im just looking at the numbers, none of the guys youre letting walk make anything major, so i was just asking where the money to resign the ones you do keep is coming from. since you still have guys like orpik

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Moving Holtby to lean on Grubauer seems like a pretty bad idea to me. I admittedly don't follow the caps super closely, but Holtby is a very proven goalie having a down year and Grubauer is a very unproven goalie having a good year with pretty light starts.

I think it's very likely Holtby rebounds next year and outperforms Grubauer. Not sure the Caps are really in a place to give up a really solid proven goalie for a question mark given the ages of the best players. Gonna have to strike soon if it's going to happen.

and thats fine, im just saying they still have to pay these guys the cap is going up but carlson alone wants a raise of 4m

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
see you seem to get what im saying though because if carlson wants 8M thats still 4 million more than this year, kempny at 2m is still a million more, im just looking at the numbers, none of the guys youre letting walk make anything major, so i was just asking where the money to resign the ones you do keep is coming from. since you still have guys like orpik

The cap is going up significantly next season. It is rumored to go up to $78-82M. That's a $3M to $7M increase.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

There's definitely risk in moving Holtby to lean on Grubauer. But I also think Grubauer has played well as of late while Holtby gets to "Mentally Reset" to come back fresh. Either way, the Caps are going to move one of the two over the offseason and are going to have to take a look at Holtby's performance versus his cap hit and see if they are comfortable moving on from him.

I'd say it's probably about a 5-10% chance Holtby actually gets moved

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Orpik will be moved either in a trade or buyout. We have Kempny/Jerabek/Djoos at the NHL level and Lucas Johansen and Jonas Siegenthaler at the AHL level who will be competing for 2 of the 3 LD spots (Orlov being the other LD).

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
who is giving up a mid first for Grubauer and a cap dump? thats insane

Lehner and a cap dump (Legwand) was traded for the 21 overall pick. Similar circumstances though Grubauer is older than lehner was when the trade happened.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
who is giving up a mid first for Grubauer and a cap dump? thats insane

Phillip Grubauer has similar numbers as Cory Schneider had when he was traded for a top-10 pick. Better numbers than Cam Talbot had before his trade. Better numbers than Robin Lehner had before his trade. Better numbers than Semyon Varlamov had before his trade.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Phillip Grubauer has similar numbers as Cory Schneider had when he was traded for a top-10 pick. Better numbers than Cam Talbot had before his trade. Better numbers than Robin Lehner had before his trade. Better numbers than Semyon Varlamov had before his trade.
The 26 yr old Schneider was considered to be a potential franchise goalie, dealt only because Vancouver could not find a taker foe Luongo's long-term contract.
Grubauer imo does not have anywhere close to Schneider's trade value thru the league.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles... If Tom Wilson agrees to stop picking on them ;)
Lol no bud, the isles will not be giving up a mid 1st for Grubrauer.
Move past that little fantasy.
If the isles who were desperately shopping for top 4 D , refused to move either 1st when their season was on the line,I can not see them overpaying for goaltending in the offseason using an early to mid 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad