Confirmed with Link: Washington Capitals name Spencer Carbery as new Head Coach

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Wow, I am always amazed and love GMBM's candidness. I cannot believe he openly stated we're in a transition period here with the team, really figured they'd be harping hard on being competitive right away and that the team is just a retool away from being a top team again.

Gives me hope GMBM doesn't buy into the prevalent belief that this team is going to just be useless and fall off a cliff when Ovi walks away and that it can continue to roll and be competitive post Ovi era.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Liked to hear his pace comments not necessarily meaning straight line speed. Pretty sure we had that discussion last off-season around here.

Also liked his take on the team playing connected in that all 5 players will know what to expect on both sides of the puck. To many times last year it seemed as if they weren’t at all on the same page.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

We'll see about X's & O's, adjustments and what MacLellan can manage personnel-wise. But in terms of energy, culture and communication it's not hard to get why he was at the top of their list. They needed a fresh chip on their shoulder to rejuvenate them and that combined with their prior relationship made it an obvious fit all along. Curious if they add more experience to the staff or continue in a younger direction.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
When it gives me the same high as watching numbers on a screen!

Alternatively when watching the game proves more informative than just looking at the stats.

Don't worry Twabs, some people don't get your sarcasm but I got you fam!

It is one of those running jokes that goes on so long, some people believe it to be gospel. :laugh::sarcasm:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Interesting interview…..sees their identity as having two things….”pace and being connected”…..and pace not meaning straight line speed, but executing in all facets, puck pressure in all zones, forcheck…..5 guys need to be more connected on ice and how the puck should go zone to zone.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'd be curious if any of the Hershey fans can pick a game that would show Carbery's fundamentals as a coach, or that would exemplify how he likes the game to play. Would like to go back and watch it if at all possible.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Liked to hear his pace comments not necessarily meaning straight line speed. Pretty sure we had that discussion last off-season around here.
As someone who harps constantly about playing with speed (aka pace) not being the same as skating fast, I'm a big fan of this distinction from Carbery. Guys like Hagelin and Chimera were fast skaters, but they aren't fast players. On the other end of the spectrum, players like Daniel Sprong and Joe Snively aren't necessary burners in terms of skating, but they play with pace.

That being said, it's hard to play fast if you skate like you're stuck in the mud.

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Sponsor
Feb 7, 2013
I can't wait to see how he is able to use Backstrom. Seemed like Lavi just slotted him in and stuck with the same system. If Carbery can get the offense humming and play on his strengths, I think Backstrom can still contribute to an offense that plays with a certain cadence, even though he has lost a step.

Reactions: Calicaps

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
As someone who harps constantly about playing with speed (aka pace) not being the same as skating fast, I'm a big fan of this distinction from Carbery. Guys like Hagelin and Chimera were fast skaters, but they aren't fast players. On the other end of the spectrum, players like Daniel Sprong and Joe Snively aren't necessary burners in terms of skating, but they play with pace.

That being said, it's hard to play fast if you skate like you're stuck in the mud.
Sprong definitely had some jets on him, but I agree with everything else.

Reactions: CapsJunkie

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

We'll see about X's & O's, adjustments and what MacLellan can manage personnel-wise. But in terms of energy, culture and communication it's not hard to get why he was at the top of their list. They needed a fresh chip on their shoulder to rejuvenate them and that combined with their prior relationship made it an obvious fit all along. Curious if they add more experience to the staff or continue in a younger direction.
Nice anecdotes. Definitely seems to have a lot of enthusiasm, and solid people skills. Maybe he can meet the head cases (Kuzy, Mantha), and young guys like CMM half way. Assuming he is here, fixing Kuzy is the fastest way to competitiveness.

My favorite part of the presser was him gushing about being around all the HCs from the past decade+ - Gabby, Trotz, etc… and taking a little from each one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad