Was it a mistake to trade for Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Tomorrow is the first day Ryan can sign over the span of the coming year. It's not the only day he can sign. C'mon, guys.
well it's not like Murray has been busy, he better have a contract ready to be official at noon tomorrow

imo whatever we offer Ryan will be more than enough, and the ball will be in his corner if he wants to stay here. i'm not worried until next season is well underway

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
According to who? Certainly not according to Ryan.

NHL sniper in his prime wants to play with rookies and 3rd liners?

Sure, his line might be good but does he want to have to carry the load in the scoring department and face the pressure of a Canadian market?

Can you tell me why Ryan would love to stay in this situation if his goal is to win a cup?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
NHL sniper in his prime wants to play with rookies and 3rd liners?

Sure, his line might be good but does he want to have to carry the load in the scoring department and face the pressure of a Canadian market?

Can you tell me why Ryan would love to stay in this situation if his goal is to win a cup?

Quote from Ryan after the season:

"I said it in Anaheim, when you get drafted by an organization or traded to an organization, you want to reward that organization," he stated. "You want to be part of like that for the long term. You want to take that team to new heights, and you want to be part of something special.

"That's how we felt when we were traded here and coming here, the organization is first class, they treat you like family. I think everybody in the room and the coaching room genuinely cares about each individual, and that says a lot about the people they've put in place here.

"That's something you want to be around."

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/04/03/ottawa-senators-bobby-ryan-would-be-happy-to-stay

That is why he'd want to stick around. Can we please stop with the baseless speculation now?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

"I said it in Anaheim, when you get drafted by an organization or traded to an organization, you want to reward that organization," he stated. "You want to be part of like that for the long term. You want to take that team to new heights, and you want to be part of something special.

"That's how we felt when we were traded here and coming here, the organization is first class, they treat you like family. I think everybody in the room and the coaching room genuinely cares about each individual, and that says a lot about the people they've put in place here.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/04/03/ottawa-senators-bobby-ryan-would-be-happy-to-stay

That is why he'd want to stick around. Can we please stop with the baseless speculation now?

Michalek, Hemsky, and Spezza were still his teammates though.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
With no further information to go on as to Ryan's frame of mind, I choose to go by what he's already told us. If you'd prefer to assume you can read his mind, feel free. But I'd prefer to go by the most recent info we have.

"If we extend ask me in three years how I'm feeling about it."

"I think the future is bright, no matter what happens with the five guys that are up next year," he said, referring to himself, Jason Spezza, Clarke MacArthur, Marc Methot and Craig Anderson. "I think there's a lot of positive things about this organization so I certainly don't see why we couldn't (contend)." Brenan assumes he's talking about those five but maybe Michalek and Hemsky are part of Ryan's equation.

Future must not seem as bright losing the teams only point a game player. Spezza took a lot of pressure off those other lines so we will see.

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam

"I think the future is bright, no matter what happens with the five guys that are up next year," he said, referring to himself, Jason Spezza, Clarke MacArthur, Marc Methot and Craig Anderson. "I think there's a lot of positive things about this organization so I certainly don't see why we couldn't (contend)." Brenan assumes he's talking about those five but maybe Michalek and Hemsky are part of Ryan's equation.

Future must not seem as bright losing the teams only point a game player. Spezza took a lot of pressure off those other lines so we will see.

So he says that the future is bright no matter what happens with the upcoming UFA's and somehow you construe that as a negative because Brennan failed to mention Michalek and Hemsky? Michalek and that guy that was here for a couple months.

straws.gif.aspxx

I don't know if he'll sign. I ain't no Amazing Kreskin, but I do feel more positive about the situation after reading the same things you have.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Dont believe what anybody says... Wait and see... If he gets 8.5M a year, he will be happy to play here with junk... If we offer him 5.5 on a Hometown discount... he probably wont...

His comments during the year mean absolutely nothing to me... Not that I dont believe him, or dont believe he was being genuine... Wait until negotiations start and his agent gets in his ear...

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada

Sweet! More baseless speculation!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Last I heard, the salary cap was still in place, so teams like LA, Chicago and Anaheim won't be able to carry 100 players on their respective rosters.

I swear, it feels sometimes like people think any guy who isn't chained to the 4th line for his career is going to bolt to the 4 powerhouses in the league, and the other 26 teams will be lucky to scrape together one line to play with.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
I like to believe that Ryan is genuine in expressing his willingness to stay here recognizing what the Sens gave up to get him. He seems like the nicest guy we've ever had on the team. Obviously the contract still has to work but because he was hurt and played through it part way into the season it's hard to assess his full value.

Just a bit of wishful thinking:
I know he doesn't have to but if he wants the $8M-$9+ home run and still show appreciation to the Sens maybe he could sign a fair near $7M 1 year bridge type contract for 2015-16 so he doesn't go unrestricted next summer just to show good faith and let his full value show this coming year. Then before next summer they could decide the long term. If the Sens can't afford him by then they should have no problems getting full value for Ryan with 1 year left at near $7M and would agree to let him go by next spring / summer if that is what he preferred.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Dont believe what anybody says... Wait and see... If he gets 8.5M a year, he will be happy to play here with junk... If we offer him 5.5 on a Hometown discount... he probably wont...

His comments during the year mean absolutely nothing to me... Not that I dont believe him, or dont believe he was being genuine... Wait until negotiations start and his agent gets in his ear...

YES! Ed Mcmahon style.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
1 year deals are a huge risk for a player

He's a proven top line goal scoring machine, he's going to get paid

Hopefully by Melnyk

The Fuhr*

Last I heard, the salary cap was still in place, so teams like LA, Chicago and Anaheim won't be able to carry 100 players on their respective rosters.

I swear, it feels sometimes like people think any guy who isn't chained to the 4th line for his career is going to bolt to the 4 powerhouses in the league, and the other 26 teams will be lucky to scrape together one line to play with.

Nah not the four powerhouse teams, just one of the 2/3 teams that spend

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Please someone reassure me

The feeling I'm getting is that people kinda regret trading for Ryan because of the futures we gave up for a present player when weren't totally ready...

I haven't lost all faith in humanity, but please tell me people are not that short-sighted. Please tell me I have it wrong.

well it's not like Murray has been busy, he better have a contract ready to be official at noon tomorrow

imo whatever we offer Ryan will be more than enough, and the ball will be in his corner if he wants to stay here. i'm not worried until next season is well underway

sarcasm?

But... I thought this team was a gong show...

Why would Bobby freaking Ryan know more than all the random unemployed coaches and GMs on this board?

:dunce:

Michalek, Hemsky, and Spezza were still his teammates though.

95% of NHL players are replaceable. Why don't you guys and girls wait to panic, after all is said and done? It would be a little bit wiser, no?

Ryan already played with Turris, MacArthur, Zibanejad, Stone, Karlsson, Methot... I'm not sure he feels that he is surrounded by junk, but maybe a young group full of promise. After all, the Sens are probably not the only young (playoffs) rebuilding team that have missed the playoffs by a few points at some point, to progress eventually.

It helped derail the rebuild path. The young guys and picks traded away were part of the engine that was moving the whole thing forward. Should have stayed on that course until later.
The attempt at exciting the fans has failed.

lol I haven't read all the thread but came across that gem. Many things could be said but to keep it simple :

If our rebuild was centered around Silfverberg, Noesen and a 1st in a crap draft, might as well move the franchise right away

lol

Silfverberg : good 3rd liner, possible 2nd liner down the road
Noesen : injuries are getting very hard on his career. NHL still a sure thing?
1st : a 10th is usually not bad, but in that draft it's not worth more than a 15th-20th (Anaheim is good at drafting, good for them)

Lehner, Driedger, Hogberg, Karlsson, Ceci, Cowen, Wiercioch, Englund, Claesson, Wikstrand, Borowiecki, Gryba, Harpur, Zibanejad, Turris, Stone, Puempel, Prince, Hoffman, Lazar, Pageau, Smith, Dizngel, Schneider, Robnison, McCormick... Too bad guys like Methot, MacArthur and Ryan are too old.

We are so poor :cry:

Last edited:

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
This year is going to be very telling for Ryan, obviously. Hard for us to gauge at this point just how badly that injury hampered him over the course of last year. He's clearly a skilled player, but for me, his skating is a red flag for me. Again, it might be the injury, but his feet looked slow and he had very little ability to separate from anyone with his speed or accelerate into dangerous areas. That isn't a guy you can pay $7+mil to and hope to win with.

If the team knows his injury was really bad last year and that's why his skating was weak, then maybe you buy low now and extend him based on what he produced last year. Otherwise, I really think we have to get a better read on what a healthy Ryan looks like this year before we sign on long term. As he gets older, he ain't gonna get any faster, and we should know better than anyone what happens to star offensive players who aren't very quick. (See Yashin, heatley, spezza)

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Why though? What's the compelling reason to go out right now and lock a big chunk of our cap going forward into this player? We have more pressing decisions to make now without making a major commitment to Ryan today. We can wait until we see how he looks in oct.-nov. before locking him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad