Was it a mistake to trade for Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
According to who? Certainly not according to Ryan.

If the ownership is not respected, and he can get the same or better money elsewhere, then he will be gone. Why show dedication and commitment if the team doesn't. They players want to win, or at least be very competitive. PLUS, he is American and Ontario has the highest tax rate in Canada,(Although I'm not sure how that works. If he pays Ontario tax(MAX 49%) he could be giving up 10-20+% over some US states. That alone would ship you out.
I heard the players pay the income tax in each State they play in during the season. So 41 home games of Ontario tax..oUCH.
As far as being a mistake, we have had Ryan for an injured year. Hopefully he has a great year this year and he helps make Ottawa a destination place for the players who want to win.
Second guessing the value of the trade is moot.

The Fuhr*

Why though? What's the compelling reason to go out right now and lock a big chunk of our cap going forward into this player? We have more pressing decisions to make now without making a major commitment to Ryan today. We can wait until we see how he looks in oct.-nov. before locking him up.

He's a ufa in a year ... Sens moved a lot for him... Lock up a core player long term so rumors don't follow him.

Do the Sens want to enter the season with Ryan unsigned? It be like a Vanek situation

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
If the ownership is not respected, and he can get the same or better money elsewhere, then he will be gone. Why show dedication and commitment if the team doesn't. They players want to win, or at least be very competitive. PLUS, he is American and Ontario has the highest tax rate in Canada,(Although I'm not sure how that works. If he pays Ontario tax(MAX 49%) he could be giving up 10-20+% over some US states. That alone would ship you out.
I heard the players pay the income tax in each State they play in during the season. So 41 home games of Ontario tax..oUCH.
As far as being a mistake, we have had Ryan for an injured year. Hopefully he has a great year this year and he helps make Ottawa a destination place for the players who want to win.
Second guessing the value of the trade is moot.

I do believe taxes for the guys in Montreal are higher. And some US cities also have a jock tax, but I'm not sure how much it is or how many NHL cities it effects.

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
He's a ufa in a year ... Sens moved a lot for him... Lock up a core player long term so rumors don't follow him.

Do the Sens want to enter the season with Ryan unsigned? It be like a Vanek situation

If we let him go past Christmas I can see your point, but from what we saw last year, I'd rather see 15-20 games of a fully healthy Ryan before we get married to him. The risk is just too high to sign him right now, IMO.

The Fuhr*

If we let him go past Christmas I can see your point, but from what we saw last year, I'd rather see 15-20 games of a fully healthy Ryan before we get married to him. The risk is just too high to sign him right now, IMO.

And in those 15-20 games Ryan decides he does not want to talk extension till the end of the season?

koreaboy

Oct 14, 2010
Then we let him decide to explore that. We can't run a team by giving into threats from players. Don't get me wrong, I like Ryan and I'd like to keep him, but I think this talk of $7-8mil on a long term deal to do that is nuts at this point. He doesn't skate very well. Maybe it was injury, maybe it wasn't. But until we find out I don't think its smart to commit $7mil+ to a guy like that for 5+ yrs

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Does Murray wait and try and extend him during the season or does he do it now. You would think they have already talked about it and management knows exactly the range it is going to take to re-sign him.

Maybe Ryanwaits to see what the chemistry is like first.

Man, if we start the season 4-10-4 or something........:help:

The Fuhr*

BM at his press conference yesterday said he may not sign all the 2015 UFAs

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa
Spezza just did Sens a favour by letting them know he wasn't going to re-sign, Ryan will do the same I suspect. If Murray is unable to make some headway in signing him he will be gone by the deadline for a package which means we are rebuilding even though management won't call it rebuild. What looks like a duck, sounds...

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

A third line winger, a good prospect who ended up with a pretty nasty injury, and a first round pick in the weakest draft since Phillips was 18 years old. For a proven 30 goal scorer in his prime.

If the Sens made that deal in reverse and gave up Bobby Ryan for that type of price you'd be starting a thread every 2-3 days railing on BM for it, and cross posting it to every HF forum you could think of.

Anyway, he will be signed.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

its time for this board to rally together:
can we all agree that this is crazy talk?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
its time for this board to rally together:
can we all agree that this is crazy talk?

The crazy talk started the day we traded for him, when Flyers fans who were upset at being beat out for Ryan started twittering that he would go to the Flyers rather than re-sign here anyway. Our fans were still in shock with Alfie leaving that same day, so that type of talk dug its hooks in and people are still repeating the same arguments.

Summary

Yes we will sign Ryan. We will sign Ryan because teams making these deals pretty much always re-sign the player. The only exception is if the player publically states that he wants to test out being a UFA. That has not happened here.

We are a much better team with Ryan. The idea that we will turn around and trade him, or that it is better to wait for some magic time during the season to sign him, is total unadulterated rubbish.

The first opportunity to sign him was July 1st. That is UFA day, and no complex re-signings happened. Like Subban in Montreal, this deal with take some time. Expect it to happen before training camp. Yes, earlier is better but contracts don't work on schedules determined by levels of fan angst.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I said it before, ill say it again, If Ryan walks I want Murray gone.

Ya, like it will be murrays fault that ryan won't re-sign, not the guy who handicaps the team in how much money he is willing to spend to ice a competitive team. If ryan leaves, it will be because of melnyk. We are currently number one in the least amount of money spent for ****s sake :shakehead

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
The crazy talk started the day we traded for him, when Flyers fans who were upset at being beat out for Ryan started twittering that he would go to the Flyers rather than re-sign here anyway. Our fans were still in shock with Alfie leaving that same day, so that type of talk dug its hooks in and people are still repeating the same arguments.

Summary

Yes we will sign Ryan. We will sign Ryan because teams making these deals pretty much always re-sign the player. The only exception is if the player publically states that he wants to test out being a UFA. That has not happened here.

We are a much better team with Ryan. The idea that we will turn around and trade him, or that it is better to wait for some magic time during the season to sign him, is total unadulterated rubbish.

The first opportunity to sign him was July 1st. That is UFA day, and no complex re-signings happened. Like Subban in Montreal, this deal with take some time. Expect it to happen before training camp. Yes, earlier is better but contracts don't work on schedules determined by levels of fan angst.

We should start spreading rumours that Giroux wnats to play for the Senators, given that he spend almost all his free time here.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Ya, like it will be murrays fault that ryan won't re-sign, not the guy who handicaps the team in how much money he is willing to spend to ice a competitive team. If ryan leaves, it will be because of melnyk. We are currently number one in the least amount of money spent for ****s sake :shakehead

Murray knows about Melynk, Murray knows Melynk's money situation. If Murray traded for Ryan knowing 100% Ryan will sign an extension and gets the extension, great trade. If Murray made the trade hoping for Ryan to re sign and knowing Melynk owns the team, he wasted Silfverberg(2nd) Noesen(1st) +1st, he threw away three prime assets for NOTHING. It is Melynk's fault if Ryan walks, but its Murrays fault for trading locked up assets for a risky piece.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Spezza just did Sens a favour by letting them know he wasn't going to re-sign, Ryan will do the same I suspect. If Murray is unable to make some headway in signing him he will be gone by the deadline for a package which means we are rebuilding even though management won't call it rebuild. What looks like a duck, sounds...

Highly doubt Murray would wait until deadline day to ship Ryan. He'll get nothing for him.

He'll re-sign. Worst case scenario is we deal him this summer for excellent package.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I can't see Ryan resigning with us, he wants to play for a franchise that is willing to spend some money and be a contender, why would he want to play for a rebuilding team?

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I can't see Ryan resigning with us, he wants to play for a franchise that is willing to spend some money and be a contender, why would he want to play for a rebuilding team?

I don't recall Ryan ever saying that. Are you Charles Xavier?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't recall Ryan ever saying that. Are you Charles Xavier?

LOOOOOOOOOOL.

Hey guys, if you do end up trading Ryan at the deadline, how does Brett Ritchie, Jyrki Jokipakka, and a pick sound?

If Ryan doesn't re-sign with us, he's gone by the summer. He isn't gonna be traded at the deadline.

That's not enough for Ryan. That's almost worse than what you gave up for Spezza, lol.

Ritchie+1st+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad