Was it a mistake to trade for Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I think he is a hell of a talent and is definitely a key piece to a winning roster. Was it to early to acquire him though?

The amount of pieces we gave up for him have stung but looking back did it accomplish what we really needed?

Hindsight is 20/20, yes I know, but with the way things have played out till now has the move really help us. If he had more years remaining on his contract then he could be seen as positive piece going forward but with the uncertainty of him resigning it could leave us in the hole of losing 4 first rounders. If we trade him we could get something back but like with Spezza we will lose in the returned value.

For arguments sake would the 10th pick left winger Nick Ritchie, with a Height 6.03, Weight 226 who scored 39 goals and 35 assists for 71 points look good our star depleted roster next season or two?

At the time we all thought we were a few players away from contending and management were moving in the right direction. Now it seems like Ownership and management have decided to tear it down. Does keeping Ryan even make sense any more?

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I think he is a hell of a talent and is definitely a key piece to a winning roster. Was it to early to acquire him though?

The amount of pieces we gave up for him have stung but looking back did it accomplish what we really needed?

Hindsight is 20/20, yes I know, but with the way things have played out till now has the move really help us. If he had more years remaining on his contract then he could be seen as positive piece going forward but with the uncertainty of him resigning it could leave us in the hole of losing 4 first rounders. If we trade him we could get something back but like with Spezza we will lose in the returned value.

For arguments sake would the 10th pick left winger Nick Ritchie, with a Height 6.03, Weight 226 who scored 39 goals and 35 assists for 71 points look good our star depleted roster next season or two?

At the time we all thought we were a few players away from contending and management were moving in the right direction. Now it seems like Ownership and management have decided to tear it down. Does keeping Ryan even make sense any more?

I still make the trade, every day of the week.

Established star forward > prospect.

Noesen and Ritchie could bust, and then the trade is essentially Silfverberg for Ryan.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
The timing of the trade just wasn't right. I love Bobby Ryan but I would have liked us to continue the rebuild properly instead of half job on it. We should have just stayed on course.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
The pieces that we gave up have been next to irrelevant so far...but he needs to be better if the trade benefits us at all...he definitely isn't the player i thought he was.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
We've made plenty of 'silly' moves b/c each move seems disconnected from the last. The Ryan trade doesn't have to be a 'bad' trade. Think how great the Hemsky trade would be if the context was we were keeping Spezza and getting a new coach who was 'letting them play.' The ground keeps shifting and it has been tough for management to lay the foundation, let alone start building up. Hopefully, it all works out, but right now it feels like we're not any better NOW, so feeling like you're also losing out on the THEN... well it can sting.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
The pieces that we gave up have been next to irrelevant so far...but he needs to be better if the trade benefits us at all...he definitely isn't the player i thought he was.

He was playing with a hernia for 80% of the season. He absolutely lethal before November.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We underachieved last year which isn't on Ryan, his line did what it could do help us win.

The 1st was the thing that stings, but if we get him signed to an extension it'll come out even for both clubs

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
No it was not a mistake.

We gave up three assets and returned the best player in the deal.

Silfverberg is redundant with Stone and Z-bad. Noeson is redundant with Puempel, Prince and Hoffman.

We traded from a position of strength and improved our NHL club in the short and long term.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We underachieved last year which isn't on Ryan, his line did what it could do help us win.

The 1st was the thing that stings, but if we get him signed to an extension it'll come out even for both clubs

agreed, the extension is what counts the most. But man, I f he leaves? :shakehead

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I feel pretty much the same way. The pieces we gave up really isn't anything to cry about.

I'm not 100% sold on Ryan. I like the kid and his ability. He puts up some good points and did very well in Anaheim, but there's just something a bit amiss. Not sure how much was the hernia injury, how much was the snub from USA Hockey, and how much is his personality holding him back. I guess we'll find out next season when (hopefully) he's healthy for the year. Get a better read then.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Depending on how well Nick Ritchie turns out I still think we won the Trade, but Silfverberg could still turn out to be a star. Noesen won't be anything special though.

It definitely did sting and anger me we didn't have a 1st Rounder this year, and we could've been drafting Ritchie if we didn't trade for Ryan.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
agreed, the extension is what counts the most. But man, I f he leaves? :shakehead

If we get him extended, I like the move even if one of the prospects or Silf turn out better. We got an established top 6 player that can help now and in the future at a time we really needed one.

If he walks, it sucks, but the move itself was still a good one from a risk reward perspective.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Depending on how well Nick Ritchie turns out I still think we won the Trade, but Silfverberg could still turn out to be a star. Noesen won't be anything special though.

It definitely did sting and anger me we didn't have a 1st Rounder this year, and we could've been drafting Ritchie if we didn't trade for Ryan.

There is no doubt we won that trade but how much did that trade make us better? or did it?

Silfverberg would have seen more ice time here than in Anaheim and Noesen would have been probably called up for a few games at least.

There is no way of knowing if all of these picks would turn out good but that is where we can draw a lot of optimism from.

If we could have kept Alfie and trade for Ryan it would have been a big win win. Bring in Hemsky a little earlier,,,,,,, Boom goes the dynamite.

Pierre Maguire this week was basically saying he thinks Ryan to Philly is a given at some point.

Last edited:

The Fuhr*

The team has no direction... Bobby Ryan is a nice add when you are done rebuilding... Don't give 1st rd picks away tho when you can't spend the money to compete.

If Bobby Ryan does not sign the Sens will get half of what they gave

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There is no doubt we won that trade but how much did that trade make us better? or did it?

Silfverberg would have seen more ice time here than in Anaheim and Noesen would have been probably called up for a few games at least.

There is no way of knowing if all of these picks would turn out good but that is where we can draw a lot of optimism from.

If we could have kept Alfie and trade for Ryan it would have been a big win win. Bring in Hemsky a little earlier,,,,,,, Boom goes the dynamite.

Pierre Maguire this week was basically saying he thinks Ryan to Philly is a given at some point.

Does anyone really think that would be a good idea for Bobby? I mean, he is a streaky scorer and does get into slumps, and he does seem to be a bit hard on himself mentally at times. The fans there are merciless, and the added pressure of being the hometown boy on top of that.

Feels like a disaster waiting to happen for the kid's career.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

The end is near for Alfie, we would be stuck with a year older player right about now, with no Ryan to pick up the slack. MacArthur would have signed elsewhere. Silf is not a bad player but he certainly didn't continue to develop last year.

Ottawa has a lot of similar players/prospects as to what was given up for Ryan. I'd make that trade again.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012

It helped us more then Alfie would've helped us (atleast on the Ice). While I wasn't optimistic that Silf would be good for us in Ottawa, as he didn't look like he'd 'jell' with the players we had and Zibanejad took over any potential roll Silf would have, even though he was in the minors at one point. I still believe this past year is a 'throw-away' year that we don't think about anymore (other then Turris emerging, which is real promising) we just have to really move on and look to the future (Lehner, Lazar, Turris, ect) and if we can get anything for Ryan if he does leave us that'd be the ideal situation.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
We definitely got the best player in the trade but I also dont know if Ryan will still be an Ottawa Senator by the time we are ready to contend. The Ryan trade was suppose to patch a hole which was a top 6 center/1st line forward but now we re trading our best forward and arguably best offensive player.

If you told me we would trade Spezza this year and are looking to get younger then i certainly wouldnt have trade for Bobby Ryan. Hindsight of course

I also didnt like the fact that Ryan was traded the same day and almost immediately after left.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
The timing of the trade just wasn't right. I love Bobby Ryan but I would have liked us to continue the rebuild properly instead of half job on it. We should have just stayed on course.

Agree 100%.

I am a huge Bobby Ryan fan as well but the fan base was willing to trudge through a proper rebuild after years of floundering. When Alfredsson left there was obviously panic from management and they tried do something to counteract that. Ultimately it is just going to extend the rebuild process so I agree the timing was bad.

Of course, if you have an owner that is using the term "rebuild" as a way to sell "indefinite budget" then that is a whole different story and one that I am convinced of at this point.

We aren't going through a proper rebuild, just being a team on a budget. And I hate that I have lied to!

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The biggest issue is that we thought we were a few pieces away from contention. A couple of playoff appearances strayed us away from the initial plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad