Was it a mistake to trade for Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitlick*

I would argue that it's the Ducks that regret the move, they were so close to a Stanley cup, to trade away a game changer like that was questionable. I get that he wasn't going to get another contract there but the goal is to win the cup, for last year that trade ended up being Silfverberg for Ryan, I'm sure Ryan would've been better for them than Silf.

Agreed. If the Ducks had Ryan instead of Silfverberg, maybe they win the 7 game series they lost. The last thing they needed in their playoff run was more prospects. And Ryan probably doesn't get the hernia with the Ducks, as he wouldn't have been in the exact same situation that caused it.

If Ryan walks next July 1, or we get much less in deadline trade than we gave up, then the trade becomes a true lose-lose trade.

Oct 10, 2010
trade as far as Ryan vs question marks is great

but making a move like that like your taking a big step towards contender then failing to spend money to add more is where it makes no sense.

Now he may end up disgruntled at the lack of commitment to winning and bolt then its a disaster.

It's going to be a big domino effect Melnyk doesn't shape up.

players like Ryan ( if re-signed) , Karlsson, Turris are going to want to play for the cup at some point and if our owner doesn't change his way , i could defiantly see others wanting out as well.

Mind you, this is a younger players dream to come here to establish themselves and then leave for a contending team years down the road if things don't work out.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
If he re-signs then we for sure won the trade.

Silfverberg is a good player, Noesen is still unproven, and I'm pretty glad that the Ducks drafted Nick Ritchie with #10 because I think he went that early because of SIZE and TRUCULENCE.

If we can't re-sign him, then yeah, it was a fleecejob by the guy who won GM of the Year

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I still make the trade, every day of the week.

Established star forward > prospect.

Noesen and Ritchie could bust, and then the trade is essentially Silfverberg for Ryan.

Who knew the team would fall apart with Alfie too. That's the x factor its really hard to say about anything last year if they team didn't let its two longest veterans walk for nothing.

The team had no leadership or structure.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
That's a good question for the near future:

- If he re-signs at a decent rate then the Sens did pretty well in spite of the cost
- If he doesn't re-sign and he gets traded for equal pieces then the team might be ok in the long term but in the short term it will be painful "sit on the edge of your seat again" for the fans. I think we've had too much of that around here.
- If he re-signs but they have to overpay then the team did blah
- If he doesn't re-sign and we get peanuts for him then heads will roll.

bingo bango bongo

Aug 15, 2012
The Ryan trade is a move a contender makes. We were a team that just lost its captain and the trade was made to smooth things over. We definitely overpaid. I'd rather have Noesen, Silfverberg and now Ritchie (or anybody else in that 10-15) spot than Ryan. With the Spezza trade sometime in the future, and Hemsky going UFA, and most likely Michalek too...and of course the budget....having noesen, Silfverberg and Ritchie makes more sense to have over YET ANOTHER will he stay or will he go player. I like Ryan, he's just not the player you target if you're not contending.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Look at it like this. If Ryan was an UFA would he have chosen to come to Ottawa with the Roster we have today? I don't think anyone on this whole board would think so.

Would he come to the same team with Spezza, Alfie still here? maybe

When you look at a team like Philly the have so much money money to burn that they would find a way to get Ryan. As for pressure, the team has so much talent that he wouldn't be the scapegoat, not by a long shot. If he doesn't perform well in Ottawa the focus is on him.

Losing Spezza and Michalek means at least 8 miilion for Ryan to keep him. Nothing that management has done would lead me to believe that this team looks to be a contender anytime soon. Why would Ryan waste the best years of his career?

If you lock up Spezza for 7 more years, resign Hemsky for 5 more years bring in a Neal type player for a few, then maybe sign Boyle for 2 Ryan looks at that and says, "were do I sign".

Hemsky Spezza Neal
Mac Turris Ryan

looks a lot better than

Mac Turris Ryan
Hoff zibby Stone

With a bunch of teams with cap problems now is a perfect time to swing some deals.

Ryan is a nice guy and seems like he wants to not hurt the organization by saying something negative. He sees what the fans and media do to those types. at the end of the day he wants to win.
If he becomes a UFA so many teams are going to make a pitch for him. why would he close those options?

We could probably offer him more to stay than most teams can but i don't think with him it really comes down to money. He seems like he would be happy taking less to be in a winning situation.

Philly has no problem burying contracts in the minors and they are trying to shop Lecavalier. Who wouldn't want an owner like that who is a gazillionaire.

Side question: why can't Philly send Pronger to the minors and bury is cap?

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I thought he's just a regular injured player but the Flyers could put him on the LTIR (In other words he counts against the cap as an injured, undressed player but the Flyers could definitely put him on the LTIR because of the seriousness of his concussion).

In any case - I think he has a No Movement Clause so if he was healthy, the Flyers couldn't send him down.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
At the time it was a fantastic deal. I was never as high on Silfverberg as most of the fanbase. I saw a guy who had an amazing release on his shot but very little else. He might have convinced a number of people he had high potential after his final SEL season, but I think it's been established that he's a 3rd line guy right now, with the potential to be an average 2nd line forward if he improves his footspeed. Not exactly a player we won't be able to live without.

Noesen was a solid prospect, but he took a step back in his final season. He looked like he could be a top 6 glue guy, but at this point he's probably more of a 3rd line powerforward if he makes the NHL. Again, not a player we will regret not having in the future.

The 1st round pick was obviously not expected to be as high as it was, and it's really the only thing we should be regretting having given up. That pick should have been in the 15-20 range, and if all worked out as it should have, it would be considered another piece that didn't really hurt to give up. It's too bad Nick Ritchie fell to the Ducks at 10 as well; as far as I am concerned that kid is the next Bobby Ryan, and he couldn't be going to a better drafting/developing team in the Ducks. I think looking back if we regret the trade it'll only because of the great player Ritchie becomes.

I think people are underestimating how good of a player Bobby Ryan is. People forget he was our best forward and best player in the first half of the season, prior to his injury. If I'm not mistaken he was on pace for something around 30-35G and 70P with 150+ hits as well. That's a very valuable player. If we can lock a player like that up long-term, well it's hard to argue losing the trade, even if we gave up more value than we'd probably like.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I thought he's just a regular injured player but the Flyers could put him on the LTIR (In other words he counts against the cap as an injured, undressed player but the Flyers could definitely put him on the LTIR because of the seriousness of his concussion).

In any case - I think he has a No Movement Clause so if he was healthy, the Flyers couldn't send him down.

A mnc is up to the player. by sending him down they would get cap relief but still have to pay.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If he stays, no. If he goes it was kind of a mistake but not a huge one.

That is wrong on so many levels. Silverberg who can be a consistent 20 goal scorer for the next 10-15 years, plus 10th overall pick ( could have been worse maybe we got Nylander :cry: ) for two years of 20-30 goals with Ryan. Murrays job should automatically be terminated if Ryan walks.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
That is wrong on so many levels. Silverberg who can be a consistent 20 goal scorer for the next 10-15 years, plus 10th overall pick ( could have been worse maybe we got Nylander :cry: ) for two years of 20-30 goals with Ryan. Murrays job should automatically be terminated if Ryan walks.

I am really interested to see how Tim Murray rebuilds Buffalo. So far he looks to be moving in the right direction.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Well we didn't see how Spezza + Ryan turned out, but certainly chemistry wise he found a great fit with Turris. If he walks or has to be traded, that's another story involving poor future planning.

MisterMethos

Jun 21, 2014
Everywhere and Nowhere
I still don't think it was a mistake. It's Bobby Ryan. And hopefully we can get the extension done. He seemed pretty happy here and had really good chemistry with Turris and MacArthur. Didn't Ryan himself say that the Bobby Clarke-Flyers connection was actually getting overblown or something along those lines? For some reason I keep thinking he did.

I will say I was hoping we would get Silfverberg back as part of a package in a Spezza trade with the Ducks. Really wanted him back.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Huge mistake, without him we draft even higher.

Philadelphia would be a very ideal and comfortable place for me is what he said
He also said he would love to play with Giroux but has to play against him.....for now

both don't sound good, but philly has some stupid contracts on the books so good luck.
That being said, I doubt he stays in canada

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Huge mistake, without him we draft even higher.

Philadelphia would be a very ideal and comfortable place for me is what he said
He also said he would love to play with Giroux but has to play against him.....for now

both don't sound good, but philly has some stupid contracts on the books so good luck.
That being said, I doubt he stays in canada

Are we talking about the same Philadelphia where fans beat up Santa Claus? The same Philadelphia who nearly forfeited an NFL game because of the massive snowball and debris fight they destroyed the field with? The same Philadelphia where fans stupid enough to wear the wrong jersey get the crap beat out of them on a regular basis?

That "ideal and comfortable" Philadelphia?

Does anyone honestly think Ryan would survive in that atmosphere during one of his goalless streaks?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Are we talking about the same Philadelphia where fans beat up Santa Claus? The same Philadelphia who nearly forfeited an NFL game because of the massive snowball and debris fight they destroyed the field with? The same Philadelphia where fans stupid enough to wear the wrong jersey get the crap beat out of them on a regular basis?

That "ideal and comfortable" Philadelphia?

Does anyone honestly think Ryan would survive in that atmosphere during one of his goalless streaks?

Giroux seems to be doing fine.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
If he walks for nothing then yes. If he's traded for at least a 1st or is re-signed then no.

If we trade him for a first. We set ourselves back 4-5 years. The never ending rebuild.

I thought it was a good trade at the time, especially PR wise but if our entire first line walks out the door then it was a bad deal, timing wise. Its the type of move that puts you over the top. Not one you make mid rebuild then move for futures.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If we trade him for a first. We set ourselves back 4-5 years. The never ending rebuild.

I thought it was a good trade at the time, especially PR wise but if our entire first line walks out the door then it was a bad deal, timing wise. Its the type of move that puts you over the top. Not one you make mid rebuild then move for futures.

Murray pulled a Brian Burke a la Kessel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad