Waived: Wade Redden bought out (1/18: Signs with STL [$1M])

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Dreaden: bought out.
Dreary: bought out.
Fumblez: bought out.

Rangers was the only team that really had to check how you spell albatross in plural. Those two summers were dreadful and it's not like it came out of the blue either.

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This is what I was referring to in regard to the grievance.

www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413753

The Canadiens may not have been on firm legal footing when it sent Gomez home and that appears to be reflected in Tuesday's agreement. The benefits flow to the players. They get their entire salary for this season (as opposed to a two-thirds buyout amount generally reserved for these types of buyouts), while also getting a chance to sign on with a new team this season. Gomez and Redden can effectively each take home four paychecks over the next two seasons.

So the new deal isn't perfect for the teams. However, given the legal uncertainty associated with sending a player home, the league might have thought it was a good idea to give a little so as to avoid the possibility of a grievance.

And that's why this deal, from the perspective of the teams, looks less like a favour to the players and more like a concession.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
This is what I was referring to in regard to the grievance.

www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413753

I disagree that there is any basis for a greivance, the players were going to get their full salary thsi year had the league not agreed to an early buy out.

Player goes home for the season and is bought out over the summer.

He gets paid his full salary and 2/3's of next year(s) number.

Player gets bought out today, he gets this year salary in full and 2/3's of next year(s) number.

either way it plays out the player is still getting the same money from the team.

If a player has a problem with this they have remedies available to them in the form of looking to terminate the remaining terms of their agreement. The teams would have no issues letting each of these guys out of their contracts.

Now, if the player wanted out of their deal and the team gave them a problem while still asking them to stay home, well then yeah I see the greivance there.

I have no doubt that a judge would tell the player, if you do not like being asked to stay home, enforce the remedies you have available to you by walking away from the contract.

While I am a pro player guy, all this talk of greivance is money grab by the players so that they can have their cake and eat it as well.

Front office guys get fired all the time. Alot of them are not bought out. They are "re-assigned" and quite often are asked to "work" from home.

These guys are getting paid to do nothing. However, they are also allowed and encouraged to seek employment elsewhere so that the teams are off the hook from paying them any further.

this is no different.

FATCHAMALA11

Kneel Before Zod
Feb 16, 2006
NJ
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Reports have Red Wings interested in Wade Redden. "From Lidstrom To Redden" could be the world's next horror movie phenomenon.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The Redwings are the kind of organization where I could see him going and excelling in the face of the odds.

They are like the Patriots. They just won't get old and go away.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I disagree that there is any basis for a greivance, the players were going to get their full salary thsi year had the league not agreed to an early buy out.

Player goes home for the season and is bought out over the summer.

He gets paid his full salary and 2/3's of next year(s) number.

Player gets bought out today, he gets this year salary in full and 2/3's of next year(s) number.

either way it plays out the player is still getting the same money from the team.

If a player has a problem with this they have remedies available to them in the form of looking to terminate the remaining terms of their agreement. The teams would have no issues letting each of these guys out of their contracts.

Now, if the player wanted out of their deal and the team gave them a problem while still asking them to stay home, well then yeah I see the greivance there.

I have no doubt that a judge would tell the player, if you do not like being asked to stay home, enforce the remedies you have available to you by walking away from the contract.

While I am a pro player guy, all this talk of greivance is money grab by the players so that they can have their cake and eat it as well.

Front office guys get fired all the time. Alot of them are not bought out. They are "re-assigned" and quite often are asked to "work" from home.

These guys are getting paid to do nothing. However, they are also allowed and encouraged to seek employment elsewhere so that the teams are off the hook from paying them any further.

this is no different.

AKA I don't understand what the grievance would actually be about.

Read the article. Once again, the merits of the grievance are not where the benefit to the teams was here. Simply avoiding the grievance was what they wanted.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Real good news for all parties. Hope he finds a team and gets to a thousand games. Always liked the guy, even if he couldn't reach his old level of play. Hope he enjoys all that $$

Trident

Jan 12, 2013
The lasting image of this guy is screening hank in game 7 a few years back for Federov's series winner.
Good riddance.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3