Waived: Wade Redden bought out (1/18: Signs with STL [$1M])

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
So, as others reported, Gomez and Redden and any player for that matter can get an "accelerated compliance buyout" before Saturday's opener

Teams such as NYR and MTL would take full cap hit on those players this season. But no cap hit next season.

Each team is still permitted only 2 compliance buyouts, either before Saturday or in summers of 2013 or 2014.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
NHL and NHLPA have reached agreement on accelerated compliance buyouts. Will carry full cap charge for 2013 season.

The hit will then come off the salary cap beginning this summer and the buyout will then revert to 2/3 spread out for remaining years

#NYR So in Redden's case, team pays him 100% of salary owed this year. Full cap hit minus $ saved assigning him to AHL

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Benefit is that teams dont have worry about injury preventing post-season buyout if PA had filed/won grievance re players being sent home.

We get to use the amnesty buyout on Redden now, rather than after the season. Still have one amnesty buyout left, which apparently can be used either after this season or after next season.

Adios, Wade.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Good. I feel good for Wade here. It's not right to basically force a team to not let a player play out of fear. Good for the league and the NHLPA stepping up to the plate and getting something done fast like this.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We get to use the amnesty buyout on Redden now, rather than after the season. Still have one amnesty buyout left, which apparently can be used either after this season or after next season.

Adios, Wade.

Wait I thought the buyouts before next season would not count against the cap? If we buy him out now it would count against this year's cap? Why not just wait until after the season then?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
lol this is the Glen Sather rule. Teams do not get cap savings but the player is a UFA

I am going to bet alot of guys burried in the AHL are going to be asking to be wavied and bought out now to seek new employment

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
This was Sathers master plan all along
Sign Gomez for ridiculous money, trade him to Montreal poaching McD in the process and then resigning Gomez dirt cheap as a UFA again for the same 2 years on the same club he already was signed for crazy money. Winning 2 consecutive cups.
Darth Slather does it again

:naughty:

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Good. I feel good for Wade here. It's not right to basically force a team to not let a player play out of fear. Good for the league and the NHLPA stepping up to the plate and getting something done fast like this.

I totally agree. I would rather them go through this now and have a chance to play somewhere else. Another team can and will pay for the services of Gomer and Redden - on a contract that makes much more sense. I can see a couple of 1 year deals handed out to them.

It's not right to make them sit at home and not play.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Wait I thought the buyouts before next season would not count against the cap? If we buy him out now it would count against this year's cap? Why not just wait until after the season then?

It counts against the cap as $5.6M, which was the number that would have counted against the cap had he been sitting at home on the couch. We lose nothing here; we were going to be carrying the cap space regardless. This is just a "nice" thing for Wade. And then after the season his cap charge is gone, as you said.

This doesn't really change the fundamentals of what was agreed upon with the compliance buyouts. It's just an understanding that, hey, there are some guys in tough situations, and both sides should do something to help them. So instead of "bubble wrapping" the players for the entire year, they're allowed to become UFA. And then this summer we resume as if nothing had happened.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It counts against the cap as $5.6M, which was the number that would have counted against the cap had he been sitting at home on the couch. We lose nothing here; we were going to be carrying the cap space regardless. This is just a "nice" thing for Wade. And then after the season his cap charge is gone.

Okay. That's how I understood it but wanted it clarified. With our luck he'll sign with a rival and play well.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I do feel like if youre gona be charged a cap hit it should be 2/3 of the salary at the least for doing him a favor.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
LEX SATHER BLOOPS
Preemptive buyouts

Guess it was the right thing to do
So happy for Wade
He gets a chance to ruin somebodys Saturday elsewhere...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Because its the nice thing to do so Redden can perhaps further his career.

Im not scared of facing Wade Redden on another team, are you?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Because its the nice thing to do so Redden can perhaps further his career.

Im not scared of facing Wade Redden on another team, are you?

No, not necessarily scared of Redden or that he would provide much on any team. But I just think with our luck he'd join a rival team, and when he plays us he'd have solid games. Kinda like how backup goalies tend to shut us out all the time.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
No, not necessarily scared of Redden or that he would provide much on any team. But I just think with our luck he'd join a rival team, and when he plays us he'd have solid games. Kinda like how backup goalies tend to shut us out all the time.

Oh please. Enough of this self-loathing "with the Rangers luck..." crap. For the better part of the last 70 years the Rangers have made their own luck - they just havent been a very good team on and off the ice.

This is just a pet peeve of mine and it goes far beyond Wade Redden.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Oh please. Enough of this self-loathing "with the Rangers luck..." crap. For the better part of the last 70 years the Rangers have made their own luck - they just havent been a very good team on and off the ice.

This is just a pet peeve of mine and it goes far beyond Wade Redden.

Ok. Relax. I was really just kidding around. I don't care about the situation much. Sorry to strike a small nerve with your pet peeves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad