Waived: Wade Redden bought out (1/18: Signs with STL [$1M])

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Good, so his only opportunity to wreck us this season will come in the SCF. ;)

Can you imagine a NYR/STL Cup Final, where the Cup-winning goal is scored by someone absolutely owning Redden?

Slats would look like the ultimate mastermind. :laugh:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Can you imagine a NYR/STL Cup Final, where the Cup-winning goal is scored by someone absolutely owning Redden?

Slats would look like the ultimate mastermind. :laugh:
He would look more like a mastermind if he didn't pay him $35 million for 156 mediocre NHL games.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
See you in the finals Wade.

>.. Imagine if we did play St. Louis in the finals and Wade had spent all season working his tail off and we got to the finals and he played like a monster and shut us down? Chances are infinitesimal but, god that would be awful.

Plus he could fight anybody on our team and win outside of AA,Bick, and Rupp and he probably give the first two a good battle on any night . Pesonally...I don't want to face him in the Finals . It would just be the time he would lead the league in PP points in the playoffs .

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Plus he could fight anybody on our team and win outside of AA,Bick, and Rupp and he probably give the first two a good battle on any night . Pesonally...I don't want to face him in the Finals . It would just be the time he would lead the league in PP points in the playoffs .

Redden can fight who now? What?

He would get the snot pounded out of him, twelve ways, not only by Asham, Rupp, Bickel, Pyatt, Boyle but probably by Girardi, Nash, McDonagh, Callahan, Staal, Kreider, even Del Zotto, as well if they ever dropped the gloves with him.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Surely you remember "Golden Gloves" Redden? I was so glad when Torts defended him to Brooks.

However, I think Asham and Bickel would crush him 9/10 and I would give a definitive edge to Pyatt over him as well.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Surely you remember "Golden Gloves" Redden? I was so glad when Torts defended him to Brooks.

However, I think Asham and Bickel would crush him 9/10 and I would give a definitive edge to Pyatt over him as well.

I guess I'm guilty of some revisionist history, but seeing as how it looked like Redden was adverse to even hitting someone, let alone punching them, I can't imagine there's any of that old 'fight' in him. I imagine he'd get smoked by a more spirited fighter these days, regardless of who they are. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably won't find out as I doubt Redden will drop the gloves in the NHL this year.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
How much money did he receive from the buyout?

He was owed $5M this season (actual dollars, not cap hit), which is prorated to a shorter season. RB posted in another thread that he received a bonus for this season, $1M or something. So it's prorated based on that $5M minus whatever the bonus was.

Then as others have said, $1.33M each of the next two years.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
When he burns us, I expect a quip about being paid by both teams.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Redden can fight who now? What?

He would get the snot pounded out of him, twelve ways, not only by Asham, Rupp, Bickel, Pyatt, Boyle but probably by Girardi, Nash, McDonagh, Callahan, Staal, Kreider, even Del Zotto, as well if they ever dropped the gloves with him.

Have you ever watched Nash , Kreider , DZ and especially Staal fight ...and I certainly don't want Nash doing it . Boyle could not beat his own shadow .

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Have you ever watched Nash , Kreider , DZ and especially Staal fight ...and I certainly don't want Nash doing it . Boyle could not beat his own shadow .

I don't remember Staalsy fighting, but I do remember Semin playing the bongos.

That's probably the most embarrassed I've ever been as a hockey fan.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

Nash will fight. He's dropped the gloves enough. And he's a big, strong guy.

Have you ever watched Kreider fight? I haven't but I can't imagine 36 year old Wade of today is going to have fun with any of our guys was the point. He's not 28 year old Redden (we all know this better than most). I can't imagine his fighting is a skill he kept sharp while everything else that was actually important to his game went down hill. The point was, the guy plays like tissue paper now. I can't see him fighting anyone whose big and in their prime and having a good go of it these days. Boyle gets ragged on for EVERYTHING by this fan base, but I certainly can't see 36 year old Wade having fun with a guy Boyle's size these days. I wasn't endorsing ANY of them as good fighters though; I was simply saying Wade is a shell of his former self in every way and I think he would get the snot beaten out of him by everyone on the roster bigger than Hagelin and grittier than Gaborik, if he was even willing to drop the gloves. Not based on past fights from years long gone. Based on the fact that Redden's age has obviously caught up with him in a big way.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Haha I think he'll be missed in CT a good deal actually. If anything, I'm glad he got to play with McIlrath for the time they had because he could probably help make McI a better defender and that's a big bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad