Waived: Wade Redden bought out (1/18: Signs with STL [$1M])

Trident

Jan 12, 2013
While I don't wish him ill will, I defintely don't wish him good luck. I hope he is a -50 this year unfortunately STL is talented enough where that will not happen. I could see him being a servicable 6th defenseman since he has made his millions and is not playing for a huge contract anymore; now it's only a pride thing, but I doubt it.

*Bob Richards*

While I don't wish him ill will, I defintely don't wish him good luck. I hope he is a -50 this year unfortunately STL is talented enough where that will not happen. I could see him being a servicable 6th defenseman since he has made his millions and is not playing for a huge contract anymore; now it's only a pride thing, but I doubt it.

Why so much hate? Sather offered him that contract.

daigle

Dec 19, 2007
Hypothetically, if he had had a lower cap hit, say $1-2 million, would Rangers keept him in NHL in 2010 instead of sending him to AHL? How bad was he? Or they would have bought him out already in 2010?

Looking forward to reading an interview with him after this season. I mean, he played in Rangers for two seasons, earned ~$6.5 million, didn't put up a good game. Then played two years in AHL still earning same amount, and then gets to play half a season (and then another one?) in a decent club still earning $3.3 millions (at least) for those two remaining seasons. Was it worth it?

And these $3.3 millions Rangers are to pay him this season and next, any club signing him will deduct that amount from the 3.3 Rangers owe him, right?

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Hypothetically, if he had had a lower cap hit, say $1-2 million, would Rangers keept him in NHL in 2010 instead of sending him to AHL? How bad was he? Or they would have bought him out already in 2010?

Looking forward to reading an interview with him after this season. I mean, he played in Rangers for two seasons, earned ~$6.5 million, didn't put up a good game. Then played two years in AHL still earning same amount, and then gets to play half a season (and then another one?) in a decent club still earning $3.3 millions (at least) for those two remaining seasons. Was it worth it?

And these $3.3 millions Rangers are to pay him this season and next, any club signing him will deduct that amount from the 3.3 Rangers owe him, right?

The contract with the Rangers and one with the Blues are completely separate--he gets the buyout from the Rangers and the salary from the Blues.

At the end of the 2010 season it was completely clear that Tortorella had no interest in continuing to have Redden in his lineup. Having the huge contract made it impossible to trade him, so that would be the only difference (if he had a smaller salary).

Trident

Jan 12, 2013
Why so much hate? Sather offered him that contract.

Where's the hate? I don't wish the guy to get injured, but do I wish him good luck? no. I don't wish good luck to someone who got a huge contract and came here and played like a dog, took a lot of nights off and looked like he didn't want to be here. Players like Messier, Graves and Leetch who left, or rather were forced out one way or the other, I wish good luck to because they gave it there all and wanted to be here. As far as Sather, he should have been fired a long time ago. Has he done better recently, maybe, but he made a lot of mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad