Waived: Wade Redden bought out (1/18: Signs with STL [$1M])

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well back to the option of bringing in Gomez to be the 3rd line C?

Still open to this. Gotta think at this point Gomez will take any deal he can get to prove himself in the NHL again. Immediately gives the Rangers some of the best C depth in the league, and is a much better option in the top-6 than Boyle if God forbid Richards or Stepan go down.

I know we're in the minority here though, big time.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Good luck to you Wade!

Kind of funny, in my NHL 13 Be a Pro season, Redden actually made the team and is leading the D in points after 10 games so far. :laugh:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Still open to this. Gotta think at this point Gomez will take any deal he can get to prove himself in the NHL again. Immediately gives the Rangers some of the best C depth in the league, and is a much better option in the top-6 than Boyle if God forbid Richards or Stepan go down.

I'm more bearish than you are, but I can see the value in it. For the reasons you gave and also its a faceoff option on the 2nd PP unit. Another PKer too.

pavelich

Jul 16, 2009
comedy gold from main board (and apparently downgoesbrown)

4398817656_7a00bb8ca6_o.jpg

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
NHL and NHLPA have reached agreement on accelerated compliance buyouts. Will carry full cap charge for 2013 season.

The hit will then come off the salary cap beginning this summer and the buyout will then revert to 2/3 spread out for remaining years

#NYR So in Redden's case, team pays him 100% of salary owed this year. Full cap hit minus $ saved assigning him to AHL

I'm unclear. We take a full cap hit like a regular buyout? I thought this was supposed to be an amnesty buyout. i.e. no cap repercussions.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm unclear. We take a full cap hit like a regular buyout? I thought this was supposed to be an amnesty buyout. i.e. no cap repercussions.
It's like we're using the amnesty buy-out this summer. $5.6 million cap-hit this year, none next season.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

Cap hit of $5.6 this season, then he's off the books entirely this summer.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

The NHL, for transition purposes, kept the Salary Cap artificially high at 70.2M this season. The two Amnesty Buy-Outs are meant to help teams get down to 64.3M next season and the year after. To allow teams to use their Amnesty Buy-Outs this season would be excessive and result in more overspending. Today was a fair compromise, allowing Redden and Gomez access to the market while giving the Rangers and Canadiens a way to shed a dead contract from their 50 man limit. Under the existing rules, the Rangers would have felt Redden's cap hit whether he was playing for the Rangers, the Whale, or sitting on his couch eating Popchips. Today is a win win for everyone.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
Been thinking about this a little........Question?

What is the incentive for the Rangers and probably even more so the Canadians to do these players a favour?

Can't see Redden really coming back to hurt the Rangers but what if Montreal bought out Gomezthis week...... he went back to Jersey and then played a huge part in knocking out the Canadians in the first round?

Montreal GM would have some explaining to do for this "nice gesture".

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Been thinking about this a little........Question?

What is the incentive for the Rangers and probably even more so the Canadians to do these players a favour?

Can't see Redden really coming back to hurt the Rangers but what if Montreal bought out Gomezthis week...... he went back to Jersey and then played a huge part in knocking out the Canadians in the first round?

Montreal GM would have some explaining to do for this "nice gesture".

I'm relatively certain that the NHLPA has a legitimate grievance when these players are told to stay at home.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
So you're suggesting these two teams hand is being forced and have no choice?

I'm saying that a union grievance filing might have forced the NHL and NHLPA to come up with a way for this situation to not happen anyway. Or it would have forced the teams to actually employ the player on the ice, even if it were in the AHL.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
I'm saying that a union grievance filing might have forced the NHL and NHLPA to come up with a way for this situation to not happen anyway. Or it would have forced the teams to actually employ the player on the ice, even if it were in the AHL.

Can't image the union I was part of putting in a grievance because company was paying but not making me work.....:sarcasm:

I'm hoping Montreal doesn't go for it, I don't want to see Gomez in a Devils jersey.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's to the Rangers benefit also because now we don't have to worry about him getting injured. Whether we buy him out now or in the summer, he's still going to cost 5.6 mil against our cap this year. Better to be rid of him as soon as possible.

Stanley Foobrick

Clockwork Blue
Apr 2, 2007
Fooville, Ontario
It's to the Rangers benefit also because now we don't have to worry about him getting injured. Whether we buy him out now or in the summer, he's still going to cost 5.6 mil against our cap this year. Better to be rid of him as soon as possible.

Sitting him all season also guarantees he won't have an on ice injury.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Can't image the union I was part of putting in a grievance because company was paying but not making me work.....:sarcasm:

I'm hoping Montreal doesn't go for it, I don't want to see Gomez in a Devils jersey.

Actually, your company is forcing you to not work, which isn't at all the same thing.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
His company is the Rangers, or the Canadians forcing him not to work. Not sure how that's any different.

Putting the player out of work for the year, even had that work been in the AHL, would be seen as severely damaging the player's future earnings potential. If the intention is to terminate the player's contract through a buy out, of which there is no doubt that this is the intention in this situation, then not allowing him to either showcase for future employers or change employers poses a potential problem from a legal point of view. The employee is ready, willing and able to work. The mechanisms of the CBA, and nothing else, are preventing it. It's a legitimate grounds for a grievance. Whether or not the NHLPA would win or not is another issue, but I have a feeling they would.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Letting Redden walk allows the Rangers to add a usable player to the Reserve List. It also avoids unnecessary bad PR. It could also be argued that this shines some positive light on the organization when UFA's consider their options in the future.

TC82

Aug 27, 2012

I don't think the fans would embrace Gomez and it would become a mess. Even if he were brought in as a no. 3 center / PP playmaker and not expected to do much else. The guy was a bust so it's not like we would be bringing back someone like Kovalev back in '03.

No thanks.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
The NHL, for transition purposes, kept the Salary Cap artificially high at 70.2M this season. The two Amnesty Buy-Outs are meant to help teams get down to 64.3M next season and the year after. To allow teams to use their Amnesty Buy-Outs this season would be excessive and result in more overspending. Today was a fair compromise, allowing Redden and Gomez access to the market while giving the Rangers and Canadiens a way to shed a dead contract from their 50 man limit. Under the existing rules, the Rangers would have felt Redden's cap hit whether he was playing for the Rangers, the Whale, or sitting on his couch eating Popchips. Today is a win win for everyone.

thanks for the clarification everyone!

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
I don't think the fans would embrace Gomez and it would become a mess. Even if he were brought in as a no. 3 center / PP playmaker and not expected to do much else. The guy was a bust so it's not like we would be bringing back someone like Kovalev back in '03.

No thanks.

Yeah, wouldn't want him. Still, Gomez signing and returning to win a cup with NYR would be a nice twist.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00