Waived: Vrana (recalled 02.14.23)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I know we don't have much sample size but I simply don't believe we have 8 wingers better than whatever the current version of Vrana is.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Just hoping this is because he is waiver exempt and they are afraid to lose someone for nothing. Roster expands after deadline. I would have just waived one of those 3 bottom d-men but Is what it is

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
This doesn’t even make sense. The deadline is in like 8 days so he was never going to accrue 30 days before then

Does waiver eligibility stick with the player even after a trade? If so, keeping him as far away from the 30 day threshold maximizes the potential flexibility for an acquiring team.

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
Does waiver eligibility stick with the player even after a trade? If so, keeping him as far away from the 30 day threshold maximizes the potential flexibility for an acquiring team.
It shouldn’t make any difference as he wasn’t going to hit 30 days before the deadline when rosters expand

Reactions: mouser

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
It shouldn’t make any difference as he wasn’t going to hit 30 days before the deadline when rosters expand
Players still need to clear waivers post trade deadline, don't they (honestly asking)? Even if the Wings don't trade him, every day counts. It's just a paper move anyways.

Reactions: 14ari13

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Everybody calm down. We've seen this front office exercise paper transactions a ton to manage players on their entry level contract and service time for a few years now. We know how they operate.

This is likely the same process that is just a formality that Yzerman and Co. have established to maximize potential flexibility in the event that a need arises. A surprise should be met with a plan, not a reaction.

Reactions: ThankGord

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
One thing that really sticks out here is Chiarot's -20 :facepalm:
The eyesore to me is that Larkin has 56 points, and nobody else has cracked 40.

Even if Raymond and Seider become perennial All Stars, this team desperately needs a legit scorer.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
As weird and confusing as this whole Vrana situation is and has been, there is still the possibility that everything has a very straightforward explanation and we're just reading too much into everything.

It could be as simple as Vrana had an issue, and we are bringing him back up to speed slowly while managing the roster as necessary. No need for fallouts between him and management, trying to get rid of him, or showcasing him for trades to explain everything that has happened to this point

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
As weird and confusing as this whole Vrana situation is and has been, there is still the possibility that everything has a very straightforward explanation and we're just reading too much into everything.

It could be as simple as Vrana had an issue, and we are bringing him back up to speed slowly while managing the roster as necessary. No need for fallouts between him and management, trying to get rid of him, or showcasing him for trades to explain everything that has happened to this point
You appear to be trying to REDUCE the levels of drama...on an internet message board? :D

ada888a4106e4f57eda98c4b303d1b5f.jpg

Reactions: SoupNazi

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
You think?

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Reading these updates... I'm just a fan. (In the same tone as, 'I just work here' or even 'Sir, this is a Wendy's...')

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Does this affect his daily salary? During the COVID seasons Wings management were performing cap gymnastics to keep salary lower.
It's a guaranteed contract. He gets paid whether he's on the roster or not. Even Frans Nielsen and Justin Abdelkader still get paid.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

Even if Raymond and Seider become perennial All Stars, this team desperately needs a legit scorer.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me Timo f***ing Meier

A-f***ing-men

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Penguins have a 60 pt scorer and two 50 point scorers but only have 5 more goals than us on the season in the same amount of games.

We are just getting it done by committee.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Penguins have a 60 pt scorer and two 50 point scorers but only have 5 more goals than us on the season in the same amount of games.

It's hard to see because we don't have any star forwards after Larkin and so it makes it feel like the whole forward roster is just kinda meh..... but Detroit actually has good depth. Meaning our bottom-6 typically matches up very favorably to other teams bottom-6. So yeah, a committee. Relative to other teams, we're kind of a bottom-heavy team, at least with the forwards.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Accurate. But I would counter with:

1) Pittsburgh's current level of offense is not what it once was. They're currently 17th in goals scored and Detroit is 20th.

2) A committee is fine if it has several above average options. I don't expect the current committee (with its relatively average overall talent) to be as successful in the playoffs as it has been over the last 10-15 games.

The Wings are on the right track. But they definitely still need to raise the bar for overall scoring talent. Some of that should come from continued improvement from guys like Raymond and Berggren, or the development of guys like Kasper and Soderblom. But I still think they need a boost (ideally a sniper or power forward) sooner than anybody in their system could realistically fill that role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad