Waived: Vrana (recalled 02.14.23)

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
I wish I knew what we were planning with him. Why bother to call him up if we aren’t playing him. If you don’t like him leave him in GR or showcase him. This is something Babcock would have done

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Here is my question, what do we do with him if Raymond is ready to go on Saturday?

Would he have to clear waivers again? Or waive Hagg instead(please be this).

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Here is my question, what do we do with him if Raymond is ready to go on Saturday?

Once Vrana cleared waivers, he is now free to be sent down whenever with no further waivers. That was one of the boosts to his trade value actually by him clearing in the first place.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Perron is like 95% staying put this year, and this is on the low side. He has another year and I doubt Steve gave him that with the intention of trading him this year.
Ehh, I think you bring all deals to a player, unless it’s been discussed explicitly beforehand that a guy wants to stay put. For a lot of guys, it’s about having the job security, not necessarily the location security. If Boston comes calling, don’t you think Perron would at least want to know?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

Hagg probably gets traded for a 7th or future considerations or something. As bad as he is, he won't clear waivers. Some crap team like LA will pick him up.

This makes the most sense since Ed can be called up if more than one defenseman gets injured.

Ehh, I think you bring all deals to a player, unless it’s been discussed explicitly beforehand that a guy wants to stay put. For a lot of guys, it’s about having the job security, not necessarily the location security. If Boston comes calling, don’t you think Perron would at least want to know?
I don't see Stevie trading anyone aside from Vrana, Zadina, or Hagg considering the team is now in playoff contention. Spare parts only.

Reactions: lilidk

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If he isn't playing Saturday, I'll wonder if he's getting the Chychrun treatment, and there's a trade in the works.
I don't see a trade happening without at least 3 games to showcase him. He's literally played only 2 games this season and 26 last season. Even at 50% retention, his cap exceeds what can be buried.

A trade only makes sense if Stevie wants to get rid of him because the return will suck. Probably only a second round pick even with 50% retention.

Edit: I think it would make more sense to trade Bert, considering the return would be higher and his contract is expiring anyways. Vrana could probably score with Copp, Bert can't so there's an advantage there as well, even if he's a defensive liability at times.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Fairly long interview with Vrana from yesterday.

Honestly nothing earth shattering here but he's at least saying the right things. Lalonde gets asked about Vrana and basically says "he's 13" waiting for a spot to get in the lineup. Is mostly complimentary about Vrana but keeps cutting off the reporter. I don't know if he does that all the time or is just mildly annoyed and has nothing more really to add.

Reactions: 14ari13

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
If he isn't playing Saturday, I'll wonder if he's getting the Chychrun treatment, and there's a trade in the works.
Wasn't this literally the worst way to go about it if the intent was to trade him? If I understand right, he had value a week ago due to the flexibility of being able to play in the minors, but now he would have to be waived again to do so. Is that incorrect?

SwedeChristoffer

Jul 30, 2019
Wasn't this literally the worst way to go about it if the intent was to trade him? If I understand right, he had value a week ago due to the flexibility of being able to play in the minors, but now he would have to be waived again to do so. Is that incorrect?

He can be moved down to the AHL freely for the time being:

Exemptions​

1. A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, OR has not played in 10 or more NHL games.
Best for his trade value would be to play a few NHL games.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Fairly long interview with Vrana from yesterday.

Honestly nothing earth shattering here but he's at least saying the right things. Lalonde gets asked about Vrana and basically says "he's 13" waiting for a spot to get in the lineup. Is mostly complimentary about Vrana but keeps cutting off the reporter. I don't know if he does that all the time or is just mildly annoyed and has nothing more really to add.

Vrana seemed a bit uncomfortable.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He can be moved down to the AHL freely for the time being:

Exemptions​

1. A player does not need to pass through waivers if the player has not been on the NHL active roster for a cumulative 30 days since last clearing waivers, OR has not played in 10 or more NHL games.
Best for his trade value would be to play a few NHL games.

Trade deadline is March 3rd, only 6 games left to showcase players. I don't see any teams trading for him if he doesn't get 5 games in.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Not only , everyone knows he has some kind of problem
Of course, nobody picked him up on waivers. I don't see a deadline trade happening, but if the team wants to, they'd have to play Vrana every game and still take 50% retention. Someone will take a chance if money is retained.

Quite frankly I'd rather keep him and see if he can bounce back. That has been my stance all along since day 1 and I'm sticking to it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I still don't get why call him up and not dress him. If he is coming back after the deadline why not just wait til then to call him back up?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Sometimes coaches don't want to fix the winning team. Especially when you are having a winning streak.

I could see a lineup change now, when they lost to Seattle.
Even they lost last game , I don't see who he will replace and Raymond is day to day also.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Even they lost last game , I don't see who he will replace and Raymond is day to day also.

Veleno, imo.

Hasn't really shown anything on latest games. It's Berggren who creates eveything for him, and won't score and very poor on-ice statistics. Kind of poor in any statistic, especially if you combine multiple stats.

Is not a PP or PK player etc. Competition getting harder for him. He is becoming the next Erne. All others have some special role.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't really want to create a rent free space in my head for this situation, but it honestly makes no sense :laugh: I keep trying to make it make sense lol

It's just weird.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Veleno, imo.

Hasn't really shown anything on latest games. It's Berggren who creates eveything for him, and won't score and very poor on-ice statistics. Kind of poor in any statistic, especially if you combine multiple stats.

Is not a PP or PK player etc. Competition getting harder for him. He is becoming the next Erne. All others have some special role.
Veleno is currently our 3rd-line center on a roster with only 4 guys who Detroit wants playing center. He's not getting benched for a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad