Waived: Vrana (recalled 02.14.23)

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Carolina allegedly wants to go big at the deadline and DAL and NJD have both wanted wing help for some time, but I could see them all being there to scout Bertuzzi over Vrana, although they surely checked out Vrana too while there.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
That's what I've been saying all year and people have been telling me to stop. But I'm sorry, I won't alter my views to fit the mob mentality.

I'm going to keep calling this team a power bottom and that's all there is to it.
7c7x30.jpg

....because it's Freddie singing it. You know he was a power bottom.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Feel like Yzerman would retain cap to rid himself of the Vrana drama, however if you retain cap, you retain it for the life of the contract. So Steve would be on the hook for whatever he retains in 2023-2024 as well.

Obviously, he'd much rather deal him for nothing, since he's already tried that with the waivers.

It's not my money, so I don't care one way or the other.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Just to expand on this, and remind everyone, Freddie had a song that began with, "Pressure pushin' down on me...." and included another line, "Watchin' some good friends screamin', "Let me out"".

Actually... (this should be read in the voice of the comic book guy from The Simpsons)

I think Bowie is generally given most of the credit for the lyrics. Mercury for the music. The song was originally based on a song written by the drummer Roger Taylor

Though back in the day I do remember having an argument with another kid on the school bus as he insisted Freddie Mercury could not possibly be anything but straight. A hot take for the lead singer of a band named Queen.

Reactions: jaster and NickH8

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Actually... (this should be read in the voice of the comic book guy from The Simpsons)

I think Bowie is generally given most of the credit for the lyrics. Mercury for the music. The song was originally based on a song written by the drummer Roger Taylor

Damn it I know all this, I had to reach (around) a little, now you're ruining my joke :laugh:

Though back in the day I do remember having an argument with another kid on the school bus as he insisted Freddie Mercury could not possibly be anything but straight. A hot take for the lead singer of a band named Queen.
That could have been me as a kid. I grew up in a town (Metro Detroit) 99% white and where all the gay people were still in the closet. I learned a lot, culturally, my freshman year of college lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Coach says we have no goal scorers.

We put a goal scorer in the lineup.

For the sole purpose of showing other teams he is still a goal scorer.

So that we can get rid of said goal scorer.

I feel like I've said this 1000 times, but the idea of "showcasing" makes no damn sense

Leibinger6

Jul 26, 2018
I feel like Vrana insulted Stevie, Lalonde, or someone else in the FO and they are still too butt-hurt to let it go. Put your best f***ing lineup out there and push for a playoff spot. I’ve always stood by this administration and their decision-making, but I’m starting to feel like Stevie is A) unwilling to let a grudge go; B) doing everything he can to get another team interested in him; C) trying to miss the playoffs and sell at the deadline. Or a combination.

Just doesn’t make sense why they are finally getting healthy and he’s going to let a grudge get in the way of a postseason berth.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
I feel like Vrana insulted Stevie, Lalonde, or someone else in the FO and they are still too butt-hurt to let it go. Put your best f***ing lineup out there and push for a playoff spot. I’ve always stood by this administration and their decision-making, but I’m starting to feel like Stevie is A) unwilling to let a grudge go; B) doing everything he can to get another team interested in him; C) trying to miss the playoffs and sell at the deadline. Or a combination.

Just doesn’t make sense why they are finally getting healthy and he’s going to let a grudge get in the way of a postseason berth.
That's a big conclusion drawn from assumptions.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Pure speculation warning!!

Given Vrana’s history (guy apparently doesn’t remember the 72 hours surrounding the cup parade due to being drunk) I wonder if he actually showed up to a team function drunk or was found to be drunk during practice or a pregame. If he was, and Yzerman and LaLonde didnt want to terminate his contract, placing him in PAP is the right move. It could have been a move out or compassion as both Yzerman and LaLonde have kids, and Yzerman’s are around Vranas age. They may have legitimately thought “here is a guy who would hit rock bottom if we pull the rug out out”, in which case good on them for not bailing on the player and human being. The discussion between Vrana and the club may have ended with the team telling him he was gonna have to earn his way back into the team through playing in GR after the PAP was over. At this point, Vrana seems to be earning his spot for the time being and I hope, for his sake, he continues to thrive and mentally advance.

Obviously 100% pure speculation, but interesting and shows the wings in a very positive light, if true. If he showed up to practice drunk or a team event drunk and was in breach of contract, the wings would have been within their rights to terminate the contract. If all of this is true and they did not terminate his contract to try and salsa he a human being then I am even further happy to be a wings fan.

Speculation.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Pure speculation warning!!

Given Vrana’s history (guy apparently doesn’t remember the 72 hours surrounding the cup parade due to being drunk) I wonder if he actually showed up to a team function drunk or was found to be drunk during practice or a pregame. If he was, and Yzerman and LaLonde didnt want to terminate his contract, placing him in PAP is the right move. It could have been a move out or compassion as both Yzerman and LaLonde have kids, and Yzerman’s are around Vranas age. They may have legitimately thought “here is a guy who would hit rock bottom if we pull the rug out out”, in which case good on them for not bailing on the player and human being. The discussion between Vrana and the club may have ended with the team telling him he was gonna have to earn his way back into the team through playing in GR after the PAP was over. At this point, Vrana seems to be earning his spot for the time being and I hope, for his sake, he continues to thrive and mentally advance.

Obviously 100% pure speculation, but interesting and shows the wings in a very positive light, if true. If he showed up to practice drunk or a team event drunk and was in breach of contract, the wings would have been within their rights to terminate the contract. If all of this is true and they did not terminate his contract to try and salsa he a human being then I am even further happy to be a wings fan.

Speculation.
Players cannot be forced into the Players Assistance Program. It is voluntary and the Wings would be on the business end of a prodigious fine if they did half the things being speculated here as they would violate league rules and a lot of general employer rules in the state of Michigan.

Unless Vrana himself wants to open up about this, we are not going to know.

Reactions: SoupNazi and Frk It

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
Players cannot be forced into the Players Assistance Program. It is voluntary and the Wings would be on the business end of a prodigious fine if they did half the things being speculated here as they would violate league rules and a lot of general employer rules in the state of Michigan.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought he was placed in the program and not voluntarily

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?

Thanks for the clarification. I thought he was placed in the program and not voluntarily
DRW could have said "go in the program or else (we will terminate your contract)" if it was something especially egregious

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Poor game this time.

But team is winning. Let's keep it that way. Has to find some chemistry. It took almost 10 games for Bert and others when coming back.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Poor game this time.

But team is winning. Let's keep it that way. Has to find some chemistry. It took almost 10 games for Bert and others when coming back.
I don't know that Vrana had a poor game against the Rangers. He had an excellent defensive play, breaking up a scoring chance with his stick.

Maybe tentative on offense, needing to get back into a rhythm like you seem to say, but I think calling it a poor game for him overall is a bit harsh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad