Confirmed with Link: Vrana @50%

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Vrana is a hot mess. There was a massive issue with Cocaine in the Caps locker room a few years back and Kuznetsov (Tested Positive) and Vrana, where said to be the center of those issues. IMO bad bad bad move briing in a guy who has a history of substance abuse, into your locker room.

Kevin Stevens was a pretty damn good player until he started hitting the white powder slopes.

Vrana is a mess and yeah you got him for a 50% cap hit, 7th round pick, and a undrafted prospect, but this is a massive risk, bringing this into your club house.
I was wondering what his off-ice issues were, and now I know.

Does cocaine make you a bad player? Johnny Tapia was one the best boxers of his era, and he had a cocaine addiction. I'm pretty sure many athletes and entertainers are users.

Just so long as he doesn't become another Keith Hernandez.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He can score 30-40 goals if healthy.

But yeah, similar to Kyrou, though I think Vrana makes better use of his speed in scoring highlight reel goals. Kyrou, for the most part seems to score off that patented wrist shot via set ups, loose pucks, etc.
I’ve seen him touted as a potential 30 goal scorer a few times. Now it’s 40.

I think we should tamper the expectations a bit. His career high is 25 goals.

I’m happy to give this guy a 2nd chance but I’d be surprised if he exploded for an absolute career high after missing the majority of 2 seasons to injury and personal issues.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018
That tells you exactly what kind of value he had: practically none, even at 50% retention.

And to everyone thinking Yzerman did us some favor here for all we did for him in past trades: :biglaugh:If he thought Vrana could provide any value to the team, he'd still be in Detroit.

He's not, and he didn't get called up until the Red Wings were pretty much out of other options. That should speak volumes about the value Yzerman thought he could provide.

1. We're not buying him out. Armstrong has never bought anyone out, he won't do it here either.
2. If we get to the point we think we need to waive him, no one else is taking him. Period. Even if we're retaining 50% of our 50%.

I'm more worried about whether he's got things together between the ears. Yeah, sure - he could be a 25-25-50 guy again. He could also be Zach Sanford or Matt D'Agostini - not the 15, 20, 25-goal versions where they looked confident and earned a spot in the lineup, the versions that came after those seasons. I would not be shocked if he scored occasionally but made people miss Tarasenko's oft-maligned defensive play.

Ultimately, it's a practically no-cost move. I think banking on him to suddenly return to past form is expecting a hell of a lot, though, and we better hope that Snuggerud, Bolduc, Dean or MV63 are ready if (when) Vrana fails.
Vrana produced fine when he played last year. 13 goals in 26 games. The trade wasn't about his playing ability but off the ice issues. No one knows particulars but he was in player assistance program and then chose to send and leave him in minors til injuries forced their hand. They clearly didn't want him around team.

Who knows how serious issues are but evander kane wasn't wanted but provided no more distractions when Edmonton gave him another chance.

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
I’ve seen him touted as a potential 30 goal scorer a few times. Now it’s 40.

I think we should tamper the expectations a bit. His career high is 25 goals.

I’m happy to give this guy a 2nd chance but I’d be surprised if he exploded for an absolute career high after missing the majority of 2 seasons to injury and personal issues.
He did have 22 goals in 42 games with Wings. In a bigger role with more opportunity, he could hit 40. Scoring 20-25 goals with a loaded Caps team in a supplemental role is pretty good.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
He did have 22 goals in 42 games with Wings. In a bigger role with more opportunity, he could hit 40. Scoring 20-25 goals with a loaded Caps team in a supplemental role is pretty good.
I’m well aware of that but if the odds were he’d come anywhere close to that, he wouldn’t have went for a 7th, minor league and his old team paying half his salary to get rid of him.

The guy just spent the better part of the season not playing at all and depending on the circumstances on whatever it was he was going through, it’s very likely he wasn’t on the ice much at all. I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s going to need some time to readjust and get back up to NHL speed so all I’m saying is we should probably temper expectations a bit. He has a heck of a shot but since that short time with the Wings where he scored 22 in 42, he’s had a shoulder surgery and stint in the Player Assistance Program. We really don’t know what we have in him now.

That said, I hope he’s in the lineup against the Kings tonight and this is the start of the resurgence of his career.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Do we think Vrana plays tonight against the Kings?
I’m sure we’ll know for sure in a few hours after the morning skate but he should certainly be able to get from DET to LA in time. I’m hoping to see him play.

He was scratched for Thursday’s game so his last game with DET was in Ottawa on Tuesday.

Reactions: 542365
Dec 15, 2002
Vrana produced fine when he played last year. 13 goals in 26 games. The trade wasn't about his playing ability but off the ice issues. No one knows particulars but he was in player assistance program and then chose to send and leave him in minors til injuries forced their hand. They clearly didn't want him around team.

Who knows how serious issues are but evander kane wasn't wanted but provided no more distractions when Edmonton gave him another chance.
That kind of thinking - "someone else did it, so can our guy / so can we" is how bad decisions are made over and over. I'll also note that Kane has spent much of his time in Edmonton on a line with McDavid and Draisaitl. Those two have produced just fine without Kane; he without them, ... not nearly as much. And the last time I checked our roster, we don't have a McDavid or a Draisaitl on it.

Don't get me wrong. I hope Vrana finds his game, I'd be fine if I'm wrong on him. I just don't see where it's smart to plan on him being a 20, 25, 30, more goal scorer because he did it once upon a time. Yes, maybe he could be the next Evander Kane got his shit together and got his career back on track story. He could also be a lesser Chris Stewart after his 15 goal outburst after joining the Blues. Or, he could be Jimmy Carson after the 1992-93 season.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Won’t play in tonight’s game - snowstorm in Detroit messed up his travel

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
That kind of thinking - "someone else did it, so can our guy / so can we" is how bad decisions are made over and over. I'll also note that Kane has spent much of his time in Edmonton on a line with McDavid and Draisaitl. Those two have produced just fine without Kane; he without them, ... not nearly as much. And the last time I checked our roster, we don't have a McDavid or a Draisaitl on it.

Don't get me wrong. I hope Vrana finds his game, I'd be fine if I'm wrong on him. I just don't see where it's smart to plan on him being a 20, 25, 30, more goal scorer because he did it once upon a time. Yes, maybe he could be the next Evander Kane got his shit together and got his career back on track story. He could also be a lesser Chris Stewart after his 15 goal outburst after joining the Blues. Or, he could be Jimmy Carson after the 1992-93 season.
We have up basically nothing for him. He is signed for 1 more year. I don’t think DA is under illusion that vrana is likely to emerge as part of our core. If he does great, but that isn’t likely. We simply want guys like him who can fill spot short term so we don’t need to rush our kids. the kinda guy who can hopefully put in a few goals next year and then we retain half and flip him for 2nd or 3rd. And if he doesn’t he doesn’t.

Dec 15, 2002
We have up basically nothing for him. He is signed for 1 more year. I don’t think DA is under illusion that vrana is likely to emerge as part of our core. If he does great, but that isn’t likely. We simply want guys like him who can fill spot short term so we don’t need to rush our kids. the kinda guy who can hopefully put in a few goals next year and then we retain half and flip him for 2nd or 3rd. And if he doesn’t he doesn’t.
That's fine, and then I see comments like this, et. al. :

He can score 30-40 goals if healthy.
Which is why if you want him as a short-term fill-in, awesome. Great. All for it. Have low expectations, work up accordingly. If you want him thinking he's going to return to his pre-Detroit form and have 30-40 goal potential, though, ... probably want to dampen the expectations a bit.

But to your last point: I think the idea that he'll "put in a few goals next year and then we retain half and flip him for 2nd or 3rd" is still reaching. He's either going to perform well, to the point where some of you are saying "you know what, give him a couple more years, let's keep him around and still not rush the kids" or retaining half and throwing picks in doesn't get anyone else to bite. There won't be an in-between.

WATTAGE4451

Jan 4, 2018

McDavid and draisaitl are irrelevant. Kane was a good player before them. His issue was lockerroom and pr not performance.

Vrana scored 13 goals in 26 games last year. That's on pace for 41 over full season which while he probably wouldn't do over full season, suggests his 20 goal days are not gone from him. He only played 5 games this year. His on ice performance isn't the problem. He's quite capable of producing. It's just injuries and off the ice issues. I don't know how serious his issues are but he doesn't cost much and is very talented. It's not like he's been sucking at the nhl level. He's produced when he plays.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Armstrong knows what's up. Unremarkable free agency this summer, but lots of potential in 2024 and 2025. It wouldn't surprise me if that has significantly influenced their overall retool strategy.
Yeah, better free agent class and waiting for cap to eventually open up with increases.

JR1

Dec 22, 2016
Jakub Vrana's debut with the St. Louis Blues will have to wait.

Vrana's flight was delayed by a snowstorm in Detroit that saw as many as 10 inches of snow fall in parts of the city. He isn't expected to arrive in Los Angeles until late Saturday afternoon, and not in time to get prepared to play the Los Angeles Kings at 9:30 p.m. CT (BSMW, 101 ESPN).

it was ironically a snowstorm that kept him from playing..

i aint Dunn yet

Apr 13, 2015
Jakub Vrana's debut with the St. Louis Blues will have to wait.

Vrana's flight was delayed by a snowstorm in Detroit that saw as many as 10 inches of snow fall in parts of the city. He isn't expected to arrive in Los Angeles until late Saturday afternoon, and not in time to get prepared to play the Los Angeles Kings at 9:30 p.m. CT (BSMW, 101 ESPN).

it was ironically a snowstorm that kept him from playing..
insert : price is right fail

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
It’s just a feeling, but Vrana will be safe and protected in St. Louis. He will be fine.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Blues should have a good idea a year from now in what they have in him and if he’s truly turned a corner or not.

Here’s an article where Vrana gives minimal details on his time in the Player Assistance Program. As is his right, he doesn’t say the reasoning but he sounds upbeat but it also sounded like he likely want on the ice a lot in those months in the program.
Jakub Vrana on returning from the player assistance program: ‘I’m so happy to be back’

When he returned to the Wings, he practiced with them a couple times and then they sent him to Grand Rapids for conditioning. He put up 0 pts in 8 games for GR. They then put him on waivers, no takers. He stayed in GR - 11 pts in his next 9 games. With those numbers, logic would suggest he was rusty as heck when he came back but eventually got up to speed and then became an asset for GR.

He was then called back up to the Wings - 2 pts in 5 games before being traded to the Blues.

I’ll be excited to see him play against AZ tomorrow but my expectations at this point are that he’s likely to still be a little rusty/behind the play a bit but am hoping to see improvement as the season closes out.

We may never know why he went into the assistance program but whatever it was, I’m glad he got help and hopefully he’s over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad