Confirmed with Link: Vrana @50%

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
He might have nothing to gain, but he has something to lose with that wording. Saying we are derailing a players career who you just sent to AHL is nit a good look for future players. As I said before, there is a lot of ways to be nice without going that far. And I especially don't think he'd go that far if it was a drug/partying issue. That is on the player, why bend over to protect someone who is actively hiring their own career and your team?

We have zero evidence drugs/partying are involved. You are using his past against him and judging him for previous struggles.
I’m not judging him. I said it was speculation, but I can’t think of too many logical reasons multiple teams seemed to be in a hurry to isolate this guy from the NHL team. It would be illogical to pretend there is no chance of a relapse or, more likely, behavior that is conducive to a relapse. Maybe it’s as simple as just being ‘done’ with the on ice experiment. But who was the last vet to be treated this way by the Blues? Thorburn? That seems like a lot different situation. Hard to imagine Vrana would be called up for a playoff roster. How bad do you have to be to not find some kind of role on a team who is struggling and firing their head coach?

I agree Armstrong’s comments are probably disingenuous to some degree. I put it in the category of “never say something derogatory about a player”. But the actions of the team speak louder.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
I see Vrana had 2 helpers in his Springfield debut, a 4-2 win. Hope he has the right attitude and takes this opporunity to work on his game without all the distractions of being in the NHL. So far, so good it would seem.

Reactions: Eldon Reid

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I wasn't thrilled with the Vrana signing to begin with. Not my kind of player. None of the subsequent issues have surprised me. He can leave the organization.
Yeah, if his production in Springfield helps us recoup a 6th round pick for him, then whatever, great.

But I don’t want to see him called back up under basically any circumstances.

TruBlueFan1970

Dec 6, 2016
He pretty much has zero value at this time. Maybe at the deadline a team that has had multiple injuries will need a quick rental and give up a 6th or 7th for him, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Off the books at the end of the season. Nice experiment that didn't work.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Wonder if Bannister would prefer to have an extra scorer to deploy in a scoring role, considering he’s running one line capable of generating offense. If Berube was going to bury him in the press box, that’s one thing but if the club is getting a fresh start with a new coach why shouldn’t Vrana too? Maybe HCDB can push the right buttons to get this guy’s head in the right place.

What’s the worst that would happen? Blues lose because of some lackadaisical play by Vrana? Oh no…

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Wonder if Bannister would prefer to have an extra scorer to deploy in a scoring role, considering he’s running one line capable of generating offense. If Berube was going to bury him in the press box, that’s one thing but if the club is getting a fresh start with a new coach why shouldn’t Vrana too? Maybe HCDB can push the right buttons to get this guy’s head in the right place.

What’s the worst that would happen? Blues lose because of some lackadaisical play by Vrana? Oh no…
It seems as though many of the issues that plagued him this season have followed him at all his NHL stops along the way. So probably it's easier to keep him in Springfield than add him to the list of things to solve for Bannister. I think Vrana has pretty much played his final NHL minutes, and is likely heading for a career in Europe this offseason.

Reactions: LogosBlue

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

As much as I didn't like Berube's handling of Vrana, it is undeniable that Vrana quit after a few weeks in response. Even if the organization feels that Bannister can get more out of him, I very much understand wanting to send a clear message to him (and the entire team) that you will not be rewarded for outright quitting. Forcing Vrana to force his way back to the NHL lineup is a good way to send that message.

Does the organization think that Vrana could contribute under Bannister? No clue. I think it is just as likely that the club has washed their hands of him. But if they haven't, then I still think there is value in keeping him down for a while and making him work for another chance.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
He has 4 points in 4 AHL games so far. I would give him a few more games there then maybe call him up. If he does well he could have trade value

StLBlue8964

Nov 24, 2023
He has 4 points in 4 AHL games so far. I would give him a few more games there then maybe call him up. If he does well he could have trade value
With the team playing very good, I certainly wouldn’t call him up in a few more games. I do think he would be worth another look at some point this season assuming he has the right mindset/level of play in Springfield

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad