Confirmed with Link: Vladimir Tkachev to Attend NYR Development Camp

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

T is not silent. It's probably hard for non-Russian speakers, so you need to pronounce it as if you were stuttering a bit.

Turning to player - here's a couple of random things to keep in mind:

1. This was his breakout year in the KHL. He was a rookie of a month twice (September and December). He signed with Admiral in offseason when the team from Vladivostok bought his rights from SKA via Omsk. Admiral and Tkachev then signed for another year through 2017-2018 season.

2. He's a product of Omsk hockey system. Two seasons ago he was sold by Avangard to SKA, partially because he had a conflict with (since gone) coaching staff in Omsk. Before this year he was playing mostly in MHL and VHL without any remarkable success. He also spent about 1.5 years in CHL where he was a ppg player. A few years ago he participated in pre-season camp with Oilers and played well enough to earn a contract, that for some unknown reason was not accepted as valid by NHL, so Tkachev went back to Omsk.

3. He's small. Whoever gave him 5'10' was VERY generous. His built is slight as well (he's not Grube or Zuke who are short but have powerful core / lower body). Accordingly, there are concern that he doesn't do too well when the game becomes physical.

4. He does well in open ice and he's very good on PP. I think 2/3 of his goals were scored with a man advantage.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Let's also keep in mind he plays for a team that has a NA-sized rink. Plus the fact that he played junior hockey in Canada for a few years, and he should adjust fine to play in the NHL. He is still young and needs a year or two to develop into a top-6 winger but same with Buchnevich: The talent is there. The things you can't teach, he already possesses. He is the type of player who makes the risky plays that pay off

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he might have talent in a similar league to Buchnevich, but Buchnevich is also probably 5 or 6 inches taller, and believe it or not because he's apparently too thin to play in the NHL, like 40 pounds heavier. That makes a big difference.

Tkachyov is really talented, but the NHL is tougher physically than the KHL. He could succeed, but he might not. I think its a risk, but it would be a free piece, so not a bad punt.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Hockeydb has him listed at 5'10, 144 lbs.

Now I've seen shorter players, but that has to be the lightest I've ever come across. Crazy

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
If not for a shoulder injury he played through, Tkachyov would've destroyed the QMJHL his final year there. He's an amazing talent when given time and space. Excellent on the PP.
But I'm not sure he'd be a productive NHLer, he has a lot of holes in his game.
Imo, the grind of the NHL would wear him down fast. Plus he does absolutely nothing away from the puck.
Yea Admiral plays on smaller surface, but the physicality of KHL (even on small surface) is not that of the NHL. And unlike Buchnevich who was Mr. Everything for Severstal offensively, Admiral coach uses Tkachyov in a much more sheltered manner, which is commensurate with his style of game.

Last edited:

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
If not for a shoulder injury he played through, Tkachyov would've destroyed the QMJHL his final year there. He's an amazing talent when given time and space. Excellent on the PP.
Imo, the grind of the NHL would wear him down fast. Plus he does absolutely nothing away from the puck.
Yea Admiral plays on smaller surface, but the physicality of KHL (even on small surface) is not that of the NHL. And unlike Buchnevich who was Mr. Everything for Severstal offensively, Admiral coach uses Tkachyov in a much more sheltered manner, which is commensurate with his style of game.

If he can replace Stepan on the powerplay, that is good enough for me.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Anyone got any thoughts on the fact that this kid is coming to Prospect Camp? I don't think I have heard of a better KHL player ever "just" signing up for camp, not a pro contract?

Its seems like he is signed until April 18', could have a NHL out. Its a bit odd, normally a KHL team wouldn't release him. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Anyone got any thoughts on the fact that this kid is coming to Prospect Camp? I don't think I have heard of a better KHL player ever "just" signing up for camp, not a pro contract?

Its seems like he is signed until April 18', could have a NHL out. Its a bit odd, normally a KHL team wouldn't release him. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Well, there is always a possibility he buys out his own contract and signs with us. There is no agreement between the KHL and NHL, which gives players more freedom. How big that buy out clause is, nobody knows. But if the Rangers are willing to give him an entry level contract with bonuses and a KHL out clause (like Bereglazov), I could see him signing with us.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

how is his skating ability?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Well, there is always a possibility he buys out his own contract and signs with us. There is no agreement between the KHL and NHL, which gives players more freedom. How big that buy out clause is, nobody knows. But if the Rangers are willing to give him an entry level contract with bonuses and a KHL out clause (like Bereglazov), I could see him signing with us.

Yeah, and I am not entirely sure how it works in the KHL, but normally and historically in Europe players are under the control of their team 365 days per year. In the NHL there are code of conducts, you can't do dangerous stuff etc, but after a season and before October you can basically do what you want. In the SHL for example, besides exceptions made for a few foreigners, maybe vets from far away parts of Sweden, the players get like 2-3 weeks off per year. At all other times, they have team lead practices. I have just never heard of a established like top 6 player that hasn't been drafted that is released during the summer. Most of the time it happens is in connection with a draft. But maybe it happens more often lately?

I've heard that its more and more common with NHL out clauses in KHL contracts. Maybe he wants to come over and get a look and feel and then make his mind to sign his contract right away? Who knows...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Bereglazov, Zaitsev

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Both attended prospect camps while still under contract in the KHL. Zaitsev did it twice, I think, both times with the Rangers. Bereglazov did it last year with the Coyotes, if I am remembering the team correctly.

Yeah maybe you are right

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Both attended prospect camps while still under contract in the KHL. Zaitsev did it twice, I think, both times with the Rangers. Bereglazov did it last year with the Coyotes, if I am remembering the team correctly.

Oh, I thought you were responding to the 2nd part of his message. Sorry

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
He's really small, small to the point where you have to wonder if he can play in the NHL. I've got nothing against small players, but not every talented small player can pull off their game in the NHL.

Also, attending our development camp doesn't mean that we will sign him. Bereglazov attended Arizona's development camp last year, signed with us this year. Zaitsev attended our development camp twice, signed with Toronto. I'm not sure there's much correlation between attending development camp and signing for that team. Maybe there's a slight advantage.

But yeah, he'd be a good addition. Talented player, for sure.

Damn. He just signed an extension worth $31.5 million with the Leafs. What a swing and a miss that was.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere

This is correct, however, the two didn't sign contracts until after their KHL ones ended first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad