Vladimir Tarasenko (NHL) Discussion Thread (IV)

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I'm not sure if I like those lines...Too much pressure on Stewart, especially when you consider Berglund and McDonald's chemistry.

Edit: I bet they were putting McDonald with Steen for faceoffs.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not sure if I like those lines...Too much pressure on Stewart, especially when you consider Berglund and McDonald's chemistry.

Edit: I bet they were putting McDonald with Steen for faceoffs.

McDonald and Steen did about the same on faceoffs. McDonald was 56.9% on 116 attempts and Steen was 55.8% on 95 attempts.

I bet Hitch and the rest of the staff are pretty high on the possibility that Stewart bounces back strong. Hitch has said that he believes that Stewart has elite skill level, he just needs to add elite training to be the player he is capable of. I forgot when, but he said that Stewart had turned a corner, so when the season starts back up, I wouldn't be surprised to see Stewart regain his magic that he originally had with Berglund.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I think Vladi really separates himself from all the other prospects right off the bat and show the nay sayers what he is really capable of.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
I think Vladi really separates himself from all the other prospects right off the bat and show the nay sayers what he is really capable of.

I agree. In my view, he's the obvious favourite for the Calder. I never do this but I'm calling 70+ points for him (pro-rated to 82 games). Call me crazy...

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I agree. In my view, he's the obvious favourite for the Calder. I never do this but I'm calling 70+ points for him (pro-rated to 82 games). Call me crazy...
I think 60+ is reaching let alone 70 for his first season.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012

Zach Parise, Patrick Sharp, Joffrey Lupul, Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Sedin, Brad Richards, Patrick Kane, Alex Ovechkin, Logan Couture, Pavel Datsyuk, Patrick Marleau, and Jamie Benn are just some of the names that didn't hit 70 points last season. A few of those guys didn't have a full season, but the point still stands. I think 70 points is a little optimistic. I think 70 is his peak, not his starting point.

Yosemite Sam

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Zach Parise, Patrick Sharp, Joffrey Lupul, Henrik Zetterberg, Daniel Sedin, Brad Richards, Patrick Kane, Alex Ovechkin, Logan Couture, Pavel Datsyuk, Patrick Marleau, and Jamie Benn are just some of the names that didn't hit 70 points last season. A few of those guys didn't have a full season, but the point still stands. I think 70 points is a little optimistic. I think 70 is his peak, not his starting point.

I know what you're saying... It might be optimistic but I really don't think so. It's easy to do a little research to come up with whatever you want to back up arguments. ;)

For example, a skinny, 18/19-year-old Patrick Kane got 72 points his first season. Ovechkin got 106 points in his first NHL season. Malkin scored 85 points in his rookie year. Toews was on pace for 69 points in his first season. Nick Backstrom got 69 as a rookie. Jeff Skinner got 63 points on the way to the Calder. And just last year, a skinny Nugent-Hopkins was on pace for 69 himself.

If you look at some of those guys, they weren't nearly as seasoned as Tarasenko is coming in. Some were kids... this guy's a man. He's built for the NHL and has all the tools as well as the head. In terms of the names I mentioned above, I'm not saying he's going to come in and dominate like Ovechkin and Malkin, but he can be as good or better than the others.

I've followed Tarasenko VERY closely for two years now as I drafted him in my lifer pool at that time. I think he'll be the talk of the NHL halfway through the season. The fact that Hitch spoke glowingly of him and says he'll give him every opportunity to succeed bodes well. That projected line could be awesome.

Just my opinion, of course. I'll shut up now. :)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

All those predictions are premature. Yeah, it's a sweet game to think about what players are capable for, but... We can't know so far. Even espablished players are unpredictable. And what to say about rookies?

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I think 60+ is reaching let alone 70 for his first season.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised seeing him net 20-25 in his first season. I think the presence of someone his caliber will boost the production throughout. I would expect bigger seasons out of Backes, Oshie, Berglund, Perron, and Stewart as teams will have to alter their game plan to deal with McDonald's speed and Tarasenko's ability on one line let alone Steen's underrated shot. Match up problems will give any of the three lines a chance for a big night offensively. If Hitchcock lets them play some offense.....

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I know what you're saying... It might be optimistic but I really don't think so. It's easy to do a little research to come up with whatever you want to back up arguments. ;)

For example, a skinny, 18/19-year-old Patrick Kane got 72 points his first season. Ovechkin got 106 points in his first NHL season. Malkin scored 85 points in his rookie year. Toews was on pace for 69 points in his first season. Nick Backstrom got 69 as a rookie. Jeff Skinner got 63 points on the way to the Calder. And just last year, a skinny Nugent-Hopkins was on pace for 69 himself.

If you look at some of those guys, they weren't nearly as seasoned as Tarasenko is coming in. Some were kids... this guy's a man. He's built for the NHL and has all the tools as well as the head. In terms of the names I mentioned above, I'm not saying he's going to come in and dominate like Ovechkin and Malkin, but he can be as good or better than the others.

I've followed Tarasenko VERY closely for two years now as I drafted him in my lifer pool at that time. I think he'll be the talk of the NHL halfway through the season. The fact that Hitch spoke glowingly of him and says he'll give him every opportunity to succeed bodes well. That projected line could be awesome.

Just my opinion, of course. I'll shut up now. :)
Everything you said is very true but this is win by great defense league. The highest scorer on the blues last season had like 54 or 55 pts. Granted Perron, Amac and Steen missed significant time and Stewart sucked, i just dont see how a rookie making an adjustment from the KHL to NHL is going to score 70+ in today NHL.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Everything you said is very true but this is win by great defense league. The highest scorer on the blues last season had like 54 or 55 pts. Granted Perron, Amac and Steen missed significant time and Stewart sucked, i just dont see how a rookie making an adjustment from the KHL to NHL is going to score 70+ in today NHL.

Of course, McDonald was on 72 point pace and Perron was on 30-30 pace.

I 100% think he is capable of being in the 60-70 point range in his first NHL season, but I'm not expecting that from him. If he makes a seamless adjustment to the NHL, then who knows.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
World junior gold medalist , played a big role for that team.

Really erratic though. Really quick and has plenty of skill, but lacks consistency. SKA is probably better for him than Traktor though.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Boy, that is a lethal line for SKA. If this lockout is an extended one, I don't know how other teams will compete with that them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad