Vladimir Tarasenko (NHL) Discussion Thread (IV)

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Great goal from Tarasenko!

Had a good game so far, can't wait to have him on our PP... finally someone who consistently gets possession and carries it in to set up the play.

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
Goals in back to back shifts. That second goal was from a tough angle but he rifled it.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
The goalie was probably questionable on both, but they were excellent releases from Tarasenko, first was such quick hands and the second was from a tough angle. He made the defenseman look stupid when he came inside for his first.

Impossible to wonder about what kind of ceiling this kid has.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
The goalie was probably questionable on both, but they were excellent releases from Tarasenko, first was such quick hands and the second was from a tough angle. He made the defenseman look stupid when he came inside for his first.

I'd say 40 goals is his ceiling, but he'll likely be a perennial threat for 30 or more.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Highlights of the game earlier today... Tarasenko's goals start at the 4 minute mark.

letmesleep

Mar 12, 2009

Barulin is actually one of the better KHL goalies from my understanding. He was drafted by the Blues back in 2008, 84th overall. Tarasenko makes a lot of good goalies look questionable.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
ESPN 3 will cover SKA games on October 6th and October 8th. That should make it easier for some of you to see Tarasenko.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
At least for training camp, Hitch tells JR that from start to finish they were going to play McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko as a line:

3. What was your ideas for line combinations in training camp?

Hitchcock: "Our plan was to play one line together all the time and see where it gets and that was (Andy) McDonald, (Alex) Steen and (Vladimir) Tarasenko. That was our plan. The rest we were going to experiment with. We were going to keep twosome together. We were going to keep (David) Backes and (T.J.) Oshie together, (Patrick) Berglund and (David) Perron together, we knew that worked. But that’s the one line (McDonald, Steen, Tarasenko), we met with all three players and we said this is the line that’s going to stay together from start to finish. It’s going to practice together, it’s going to play together and I don’t see us coming off that.

"I watched those guys. They skated out here as a group and the two or three times they skated together they looked terrific. And both Alex and Andy had really embraced Vladi, and the whole team embraced Vladi, so I think if we started up tomorrow, we wouldn’t change our mind on that at all. We really feel confident that it would be a good combination to start and go with."

4. What was your take on Tarasenko deciding to play in the KHL, as opposed to Peoria?

Hitchcock: "We support what he’s doing. I’m always a believer in that there’s a big adjustment from big ice (in Europe) to small ice (in North America) and the game is completely different. I guess selfishly the more hours he spent on small ice the better. That was my thinking. But we’re fully supporting what he’s doing there. I always come from a younger player coming from Europe, the biggest adjustment is closed quarters, so it was a real eye opener when he was here, skating here with these guys, it was a real eye opener for him. Even the 10 days that he was here, you could see a marked improvement by the end of how much his awareness and quickness had changed because he was getting use to smaller ice."

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
At least for training camp, Hitch tells JR that from start to finish they were going to play McDonald-Steen-Tarasenko as a line:

Yep, just got done reading that article myself, and I think it's a great idea.

It gives Vlad the opportunity to play with the Blues most veteran players who just happen to be some of the most offensively gifted and defensively responsible. It should also take a lot of the pressure off Vlad in the defensive zone and allow him to focus on scoring and less on D. Now Hitch won't let him forget about his defensive responsibilities, but it will allow him to focus on his offensive game more.

BTW, Mac-Steen-Tarasenko, best "3rd" line in the NHL?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
So it would have been:

XXX - Backes - Oshie
Perron - Berglund - XXX
McDonald - Steen - Tarasenko
XXX - XXX - XXX

I guess Stewart on the second line, and then Sobotka/Nichol/Langenbrunner on the 4th, and so who would be with Backes and Oshie.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
So it would have been:

XXX - Backes - Oshie
Perron - Berglund - XXX
McDonald - Steen - Tarasenko
XXX - XXX - XXX

I guess Stewart on the second line, and then Sobotka/Nichol/Langenbrunner on the 4th, and so who would be with Backes and Oshie.

D'Ags, unless Schwartz earned it in camp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad