Dzo Viet Eatery (Dundas across from the AGO) - Vietnamese
Pho Tien Thanh (Ossington) - Vietnamese
For Chinese I recommend House of Gourmet and Asian Legend

Reactions: Petrus

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
I’ll toss a couple out. If you’re mid-town, and I don’t actually know why you would be as a visitor/tourist, but anyways..

Olde Yorke Fish & Chips on Laird for my money as the best in town, and a good English pub atmosphere to boot. There’s other contenders but at worst it’s top three or so.

Duffs Wings on Bayview is probably not the best wings in town anymore, but again you aren’t making a best wings in town list without including them somewhere on it. And wash those wings down half a block up the street at Hollywood Gelato, it’s excellent.

Edit: Burger Shack at Eglington and Avenue, darned good burger, not my favourite in town but there’s those that will swear it’s best in the city.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
And that mayor person whatever her name is wants to tear down the Gardiner. I'm sure that will help congestion on Lake Shore blvd

A good chunk of Torontonians don't drive so it wouldn't affect us. The 401, Gardiner and Lakeshore are typically used by out of towners commuting into the city or visiting. The reason why Toronto wants to tear it down is because we have to pay for the maintenance for something GTAers - many of whom don't like us to begin with, use more than we do.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
For Chinese I recommend House of Gourmet and Asian Legend

If you want to try something a bit off the beaten path for Asian cusine if check out Parkdale aka Little Tibet for Tibetan food. It's quite different from Chinese and uses things not typically present in Asian food like cheese. The sauces are extremely spicy btw.

Also would check out New Sky Restaurant in Chinatown on Spadina. It has a chifa menu. Chifa is a type of cuisine that Chinese-Peruvians invented and isn't widely available in many places outside of Latin America. The original owner of New Sky was from Lima and had a menu in Spanish for chifa lovers. When he sold his restaurant the new owners kept it.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
A good chunk of Torontonians don't drive so it wouldn't affect us. The 401, Gardiner and Lakeshore are typically used by out of towners commuting into the city or visiting. The reason why Toronto wants to tear it down is because we have to pay for the maintenance for something GTAers - many of whom don't like us to begin with, use more than we do.
It’s more that it’s in the way of our mostly gorgeous lakefront to me. Jealous of the Boston “big dig”. Put that sucker out of way under ground, commuting highways, meh, part and partial of NA big cities. We benefit too.

But it’s a pipe dream, my local streets are more suited to a HumVee than a sedan. Tearing it down was the easy answer, not the best.

Reactions: BTO

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Disagree here. Most of the people that work in Toronto come from outside of the city. The traffic every morning is a representation of that. Toronto also has bad public transportation not to mention the safety risks, so until that's fixed I don't think closing roads is an option.

The headache that it would cause business' to get clients and employees to and from Pearson is enough to discourage closing it right now. Business clients aren't going to take the train from the airport unless it's really safe and efficient, and even then, it depends on the amount of luggage.

I'm already noticing business' moving away from opening Toronto locations due to the hassle of getting people to commute to work there. Making it any more difficult would result in more business moving to areas where their employees can commute. This would hurt Toronto as less people means less money for businesses, less taxes for the city, etc.

It would be a disaster to close roads that commute into Toronto and would directly hurt every business in Toronto. Maybe one day when there's more efficient transportation you can think about it, but we're not close to that day.

Last edited:
Reactions: slozo

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Disagree here. Most of the people that work in Toronto come from outside of the city. The traffic every morning is a representation of that. Toronto also has bad public transportation not to mention the safety risks, so until that's fixed I don't think closing roads is an option.

The headache that it would cause business' to get to and from Pearson is enough to discourage closing it right now. Business clients aren't going to take the train from the airport unless it's really efficient, and even then, it depends on the amount of luggage.

I'm already noticing business' moving away from opening Toronto locations due to the restraint of getting people to commute to work there. Making it any more difficult would result in more business moving to areas where their employees can commute. This would hurt Toronto as less people means less money for businesses, less taxes for the city, etc.

It would be a disaster to close roads that commute into Toronto and would directly hurt every business in Toronto. Maybe one day when there's more efficient transportation you can think about it, but we're not close to that day.
Note that I don't support tearing down the Gardiner but that's the reasoning behind it.

We're not close to that day because public transit in Toronto is largely a function of the provincial government to fund and expand. Toronto is at the mercy of the suburbs when it comes to provincial politics and without getting too political. the suburbs primarily vote for parties that give them tax cuts even if it comes at the expense of cuts to social services. Olivia Chow isn't gonna be able to snap her fingers and construct new subway lines. She needs to get the provincial government on board first.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Note that I don't support tearing down the Gardiner but that's the reasoning behind it.

We're not close to that day because public transit in Toronto is largely a function of the provincial government to fund and expand. Toronto is at the mercy of the suburbs when it comes to provincial politics and without getting too political. the suburbs primarily vote for parties that give them tax cuts even if it comes at the expense of cuts to social services. Olivia Chow isn't gonna be able to snap her fingers and construct new subway lines. She needs to get the provincial government on board first.

I think the tax cut thing is fair though.

It's insane the amount of tax we pay here, especially relative to our low salaries. Even with the municipal sales tax, I see the media spinning it like "other large cities like Chicago do it" - Chicago pays 10.25% sales tax WITH the municipal sales tax. We're already paying 13% and you want to throw in more taxes? It's ridiculous.

Chicago public transportation puts Toronto to shame, it's very efficient and extends very far - it still could be a lot better in terms of cleanliness, but at least the L-train is there and I had no problem getting anywhere with it - I also like the idea of an above ground subway like Chicago, much easier and quicker to build. How about we copy that instead of the municipal sales tax when we already pay more tax than the city that 'already has one'.

If we can't find a way to fund a city where the average family pays 45.2% in income tax, plus another 13% every time they need to purchase anything, so effectively they're being taxed at 58% - then I think we have a much bigger problem.

How about we start with reducing the amount of unnecessary politicians making 100K+ a year before we start raising taxes, tolls, parking on the average family who's already paying nearly 60% of their income to the government.

Relative to America, we make way less after taxes, and then pay more in sales taxes and the city says well, we ran out of money, so let's raise the taxes. It's ridiculous when you really do the math of how much money our city (and country) wastes.

Reactions: Rob Brown

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I think the tax cut thing is fair though.

It's insane the amount of tax we pay here, especially relative to our low salaries. Even with the municipal sales tax, I see the media spinning it like "other large cities like Chicago do it" - Chicago pays 10.25% sales tax WITH the municipal sales tax. We're already paying 13% and you want to throw in more taxes? It's ridiculous.

Chicago public transportation puts Toronto to shame, it's very efficient and extends very far - it still could be a lot better in terms of cleanliness, but at least the L-train is there and I had no problem getting anywhere with it - I also like the idea of an above ground subway like Chicago, much easier and quicker to build. How about we copy that instead of the municipal sales tax when we already pay more tax than the city that 'already has one'.

If we can't find a way to fund a city where the average family pays 45.2% in income tax, plus another 13% every time they need to purchase anything, so effectively they're being taxed at 58% - then I think we have a much bigger problem.

How about we start with reducing the amount of unnecessary politicians making 100K+ a year before we start raising taxes, tolls, parking on the average family who's already paying nearly 60% of their income to the government.

Relative to America, we make way less after taxes, and then pay more in sales taxes and the city says well, we ran out of money, so let's raise the taxes. It's ridiculous when you really do the math of how much money our city (and country) wastes.
The TTC has less public funding as a percentage of it's funding to begin with. There is your answer to that. Government needs to step up.

As for above ground subways - aka: LRTS, here's a short history of the Eglinton subway line for you. You seem to drive so you probably know better than most that Eglinton cuts from Mississauga all the way to Scarborough. Perfect for a subway line and it's a very busy street regardless of where you are in Toronto or the 905. Midtown has been perfect for something like this.

1992 - Eglinton Subway line gets approve by the then Bob Rae NDP.

1995 - Mike Harris cancels it citing that $5 billion is too much for it. Fills the tunnel in with rocks for whatever reason.

2002 - The Sheppard subway line opens up.

2010 - Wynne approves a plan to compromise and build an above ground LRT that starts in Eglinton. Costs projected to be $12 billion and expected to finish in 2015.

2012 - Rob Ford decides to cancel the LRT because he promised Scarborough a subway and Scarborough stupidly voted for him.

2016 - Rob Ford dies, LRT plans restart, projected to finish around 2020.

2020 - COVID stalls LRT construction.

2023 - $20 billion has been spent on the LRT now and there are still delays. Meanwhile, the Finch LRT is almost done and it started AFTER the Eglinton one. All this stems from cost saving measures from two short sighted conservatives. Had we spent the $5 billion in 1995, even if it was doubled for unforeseen reasons, we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with. And while this is all happening, Toronto is largely baring the cost of paying for the Gardiner and 401 which most of us don't use.

The problem with Canadians is many Canadians who don't live in large cities - and there's really on two large cities in Canada, Montreal and Toronto, want the services of European countries with the tax rates of American ones. You can't have both. If you want to be taxed like Americans, prepare to have large cities that resemble Houston with endless sprawl and subpar privatized services. If you want the London Tube or Paris Metro, you have to pay for it.

Anyways, this goes well beyond the scope of this thread so I'll say no further on the matter.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The TTC has less public funding as a percentage of it's funding to begin with. There is your answer to that. Government needs to step up.

As for above ground subways - aka: LRTS, here's a short history of the Eglinton subway line for you. You seem to drive so you probably know better than most that Eglinton cuts from Mississauga all the way to Scarborough. Perfect for a subway line and it's a very busy street regardless of where you are in Toronto or the 905. Midtown has been perfect for something like this.

1995 - Mike Harris cancels it citing that $5 billion is too much for it. Fills the tunnel in with rocks for whatever reason.

2010 - Wynne approves a plan to compromise and build an above ground LRT that starts in Eglinton. Costs projected to be $12 billion and expected to finish in 2015.

2012 - Rob Ford decides to cancel the LRT because he promised Scarborough a subway and Scarborough stupidly voted for him.

2023 - $20 billion has been spent on the LRT now and there are still delays. Meanwhile, the Finch LRT is almost done and it started AFTER the Eglinton one. All this stems from cost saving measures from two short sighted conservatives. Had we spent the $5 billion in 1995, even if it was doubled for unforeseen reasons, we wouldn't be in this situation to begin with. And while this is all happening, Toronto is largely baring the cost of paying for the Gardiner and 401 which most of us don't use.

The problem with Canadians is many Canadians who don't live in large cities - and there's really on two large cities in Canada, Montreal and Toronto, want the services of European countries with the tax rates of American ones. You can't have both. If you want to be taxed like Americans, prepare to have large cities that resemble Houston with endless sprawl and subpar privatized services. If you want the London Tube or Paris Metro, you have to pay for it.

Anyways, this goes well beyond the scope of this thread so I'll say no further on the matter.

Living in Europe is far cheaper though, even with the higher taxes. The cost of living is much higher here, as well as how much we pay in taxes (total) because of the high cost of living. People wrongly assume that we pay less taxes but we don't, for example, we pay more taxes than the UK.

Anyway - this is all politics. My belief is the government should fund themselves. The government owns all the land, how about they build the houses themselves, for profit, and they make billions instead of the developers? Those billions they make can fund the politicians and reduce the taxes on the average Canadian. Let the government make everything for profit, and politicians get paid out of their profits and lose money out of their losses - you'll quickly find out how much more efficient the government will become.

Right now, the government has zero incentive to be efficient, because if they run out of money, they'll never cut their own pay, they'll just raise taxes again and again.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough

It's a complete gong show here. Look at the REM in Montreal, only took them 5 years to complete phase one and the system is already running as we speak.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario

Take it from someone from the Kitchener-Waterloo LRT projects. Be happy when they cancel it. Our LRT basically goes from a Mall in Waterloo to a Mall in Kitchener. Probably like 20km of track for $5 billion. Total waste of time and money.

If you don't drive basically here is how you get places using it..... Take a road bus a LRT stop, go wherever, get on another road bus to get anywhere useful. Or be lucky and live near a LRT stop.

KW is like a tenth the size of the GTA and they are building public transit like we're the same.

Reactions: slozo

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020

I'd like to point out that the construction did not stop or appear to slow down at all during Covid. There were armies of workers out there all during that time. No delays or plan changes have anything to do with the simple fact the Eglinton Crosstown project has been botched in epic fashion.

Metrolinx has been a bloated organization from its inception. The ECT apart from being an atrocious eyesore east of Laird (a positively dystopian forest of concrete, power wires, guy wires, grey power towers and already weather-worn stations) it's littered with visually obvious serious safety faults in addition to the reported tolerance failures discovered throughout the length of the project. There are foot high drops without pedestrian/vehicle barriers. There are concrete water traps in several locations with high power connections. There is a spot where the power cables appear to be less than 8 feet from a waist high metal barrier as the track descends underground.

The project especially east of Laird is definitionally a White Elephant. Unlike subway infrastructure that possibly may not have the supporting volume of use at the moment but will grow into over the decades, this outdoor sections of this project will be rotted to the ground by the time it can justify its existence over express bus lanes of hybrid/electric buses. The city budget is currently better off not operating the line as per public statements by leadership.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Toronto is an overrated city tbh as a tourist you run out of things to do pretty quickly and there's nothing really that makes this city standout unlike other large cities in the US, Europe and Asia or even Montreal. It's basically a less fun/aesthetic but safer version of Chicago

Reactions: BTO

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Toronto is an overrated city tbh as a tourist you run out of things to do pretty quickly and there's nothing really that makes this city standout unlike other large cities in the US, Europe and Asia or even Montreal
Just as much to do in Toronto as anywhere else in North America. Depends on the individual.

Reactions: Mr_Fun and fsdev905

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
If you want good food, you would have to go to Scarborough and Markham. Whether it’s Chinese (all the different varieties), Indian, Middle eastern, Southeast Asian, Sri Lankan, West Indian / Jamaican etc.

If you want Western food then downtown / midtown is the place to be.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you want good food, you would have to go to Scarborough and Markham. Whether it’s Chinese (all the different varieties), Indian, Middle eastern, Southeast Asian, Sri Lankan, West Indian / Jamaican etc.

If you want Western food then downtown / midtown is the place to be.
I just have to say while this is true in general, there are always exceptions and one that comes to mind is Alberts. Hard to imagine any place making better Jerk Chicken or Rotis than Albert and his place it at St. Clair and Vaughan rd. (just W of Bathurst).

Reactions: BallardEra

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
I’ll toss a couple out. If you’re mid-town, and I don’t actually know why you would be as a visitor/tourist, but anyways..

Olde Yorke Fish & Chips on Laird for my money as the best in town, and a good English pub atmosphere to boot. There’s other contenders but at worst it’s top three or so.

Duffs Wings on Bayview is probably not the best wings in town anymore, but again you aren’t making a best wings in town list without including them somewhere on it. And wash those wings down half a block up the street at Hollywood Gelato, it’s excellent.

Edit: Burger Shack at Eglington and Avenue, darned good burger, not my favourite in town but there’s those that will swear it’s best in the city.
Great choices. I live in Leaside but grew up close to the Danforth and "Square Boy" to me will always have a special place in my heart.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
A place I always make a point to get to every time I'm in town is Left Field Brewery - near the east end.

It's a baseball themed craft brewery. The beer's great, and it's usually a fun place to hang out
Lol... I'm there 2-3 times a month.

Danforth is a nice walkable area but if someone is searching for Greek food I’d recommend Greek Grill just north of the area at Pape/O’Connor. I’d have to ask if they still serve it but they were also the only ones I knew of that sold kokoretsi.

For gyros, I haven’t been in awhile but Souvlike has been the closest to the ones you’d find in Greece. Pretty much everyone else uses ground meat.
Pape Village is better than both of those IMO and is located right between both of them.

I'm also at Shawarma Frenzy a lot on Pape Ave. Love that place and its run by good people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Also wanted to plug the east side of Danforth from Donlands to Coxwell. After Left Field brewery I'll hit up "The Wren" or "The Dylan Bar" for some good beer options and food.

Also lots of Ethiopian restaurants to choose from on that strip and "Sala" for Thai is a must visit as well.

"The Only Cafe" is also a must visit for beer lovers.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Lol... I'm there 2-3 times a month.

Pape Village is better than both of those IMO and is located right between both of them.

I'm also at Shawarma Frenzy a lot on Pape Ave. Love that place and its run by good people.
Pape and....? Love me a good shawarma, Pape and anything is close enough to give it a toss.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: