Visiting Toronto?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I only ever go for beer and wings/nachos.

Pizza pizza is awful, it's like cardboard with cheese and tomato sauce.

But there's so many better options for food, it's my favorite thing about the city. Countless cultures co-existing. Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, Mediterranean etc. so many different types of restaurants available.
I've heard Pizza Pizza described as 'cardboard and ketchup', but is it any worse than 2for1 or Boston or Pizza Hut or Pizza Nova or Domino's?

To tell the truth, I think I've had chain pizza twice in ten years, both times when someone else has bought it after moving.

But yes, unless you have small children, aviod all chain restaurants. There are so many much better restaurants in Toronto to choose from.

Reactions: AvroArrow

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Pizza Pizza is much worse than Pizza Nova. Pizza Pizza used to be good 30+ years ago before they changed the sauce and went cheap on their ingredients.

Only thing pizza pizza does well is that it is open until 2am where as all the other chains close at 11pm so it you get that midnight growl it's at least available.

Oh and their dipping sauces, creamy ranch and cheddar jalapeño are top notch.

I find pizza hut is actually my favorite in terms of taste but is the most expensive

Reactions: keonsbitterness

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Only thing pizza pizza does well is that it is open until 2am where as all the other chains close at 11pm so it you get that midnight growl it's at least available.

I find pizza hut is actually my favorite in terms of taste but is the most expensive
Pizza Hut is okay except for how greasy it is.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Any oldies remember eating at pizza parlours like G&J’s, Mother’s, and Frank Vetere’s.

What about Ponderosa steakhouse?

Pepperidge Farm remembers……

Man, I miss those days.

Reactions: BTO, slozo and kb

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
No Mandarin please!

If you guys like Asian cuisine I would recommend these:

Musoshin Ramen (Roncesvalles Area) - Japanese
Ja Bistro (University & Richmond) - Japanese
Koh Lipe (Baldwin Street) - Thai
Thai Bar Na (South Etobicoke) - Thai
Dzo Viet Eatery (Dundas across from the AGO) - Vietnamese
Pho Tien Thanh (Ossington) - Vietnamese

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

Have you tried Pizzaiolo?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I've heard Pizza Pizza described as 'cardboard and ketchup', but is it any worse than 2for1 or Boston or Pizza Hut or Pizza Nova or Domino's?

To tell the truth, I think I've had chain pizza twice in ten years, both times when someone else has bought it after moving.

But yes, unless you have small children, aviod all chain restaurants. There are so many much better restaurants in Toronto to choose from.
Nova and Dominos are way better IMO. Dominos is my go to HNIC pizza.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Nova and Dominos are way better IMO. Dominos is my go to HNIC pizza.
Nova is the best of the chains IMO.

Pizza is an easy thing to make better at home.

Attachments

• IMG_4254.jpeg
    IMG_4254.jpeg
    255.5 KB · Views: 9

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I avoid pretty much all large chains except in a case of an emergency/options of last resort, or I have an urge for a Pizza Sub from Mr. Sub and if I have an urge for fried chicken I'm not above sending in from Popeyes or B.BQ chicken.

I pretty much entirely agree with you on chains, as I make an effort to actively avoid them, I will add one exception though. I do not include smaller local chains on that list. For example, California Sandwiches, Holy Chuck, Rudy's, North of Brooklyn, or Burger Slayer. All have multiple locations.

I will say though, there are pockets of the city where you pretty much have to order from a chain to get delivery. Sometimes you can find good local gems. But, a lot of the really strong Pizza places tend to be in the West end (Badiali's, Fourth Man in the Fire, Superpoint, etc) or in the east end (One Nite Only, Descendents, Slow Hand, etc). I do think one of the benefits though of living in a city like Toronto (especially if you are in the old city, near the subway line) is the ability to try out tons of cool local spots and trying to find new ones. It's why when I travel, I'm always trying to find cool local spots over just going to Shake shack or something.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Foghorn Leghorn

Oct 31, 2017
Yup, Pizza Nova is way better. But since I found Dino's Wood Burning Pizza on the Queensway which isn't too far from me, their Pizza Canadese is my go to.

If you live near Dino's, may I suggest you try Revolver Pizza on Royal York, just a few doors north of San Remo? I look forward to hearing your review. :thumbu:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If you live near Dino's, may I suggest you try Revolver Pizza on Royal York, just a few doors north of San Remo? I look forward to hearing your review. :thumbu:
Hmm, it's on ubereats, reviews are good, my wife normally doesn't care much for pizza but I think she might go for the one with wild mushrooms and truffle honey drizzle. May I assume that you've had it and you like it?

Reactions: Foghorn Leghorn

Foghorn Leghorn

Oct 31, 2017
Hmm, it's on ubereats, reviews are good, my wife normally doesn't care much for pizza but I think she might go for the one with wild mushrooms and truffle honey drizzle. May I assume that you've had it and you like it?

Yes, many times now. We haven't been to Dino's since discovering this place. Revolver's crust/dough is the best I've ever tasted.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Hi folks,

Traveling to Toronto and have some questions? Ask them here!

Also, feel free to recommend any "must visit" locations for visitors!
Half a lifetime ago I used to make an annual trip to your fine city for work every November. We had a client located just north of Markham. We were usually there for 3 days and would have dinner in Unionville (main street) each night. We usually ate at the same two or three restaurants. One of them was an Italian resto- Name escapes me (La Grotta Maybe), anyway the maître D had an impressive memory, Each year he would greet us in passable French with "les gars de Montréal"- the guys from Montreal.

There were some great restaurants on that street- not cheap but we saved on the hotel budget by staying at the cheapest so we could blow the food/drink budget.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'll say this, if you go to the Toronto Zoo think twice about the Canadian Exhibit. They relocated the wolves, and no moose. So all you get for the steep crazy long walk is the bison ( cool if moving around ) a smallish grizzly which again is neat, and raccoons lol, which I can see in my yard. And the Zoo is huge. To see it all you need to be able to walk , have stamina and have 6-8 hours. And bring your own stuff, prices are stupid, except for Tim's.

Best day we had was CN tower, Jays afternoon game and Fulsanos ( sp ? ) on Spadina for dinner. Kids loved it. Don't try leaving GTA by car after a game, get dinner or you will be in gridlock for hours.

Big thumbs up to Seranos bakery. And they have parking.

Driving actually not too bad, it's just the distances can be big and take time.

Use the GO train express in mornings and evenings if not staying right in Toronto. If with family get the group 1 day package so its only about $10 a person return. I was in Barrie..

Parking lots everywhere , just book them. Not bad at about $20-$30.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad