Around the League

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Fo' real, dawg. I have Ryan Getzlaf levels of disdain for that piece of caca.

I would love to see the 3 former Badgers on Dallas hoist the Cup...I just want for there to be a way to do it without Benn involved.
Yeah - that Stars team has Cheeseheads and ‘boomers’ - what’s not to like?

Reactions: RabidBadger

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
EDM’s defensive play this game has been mirroring ours. Not impressed with their D outside of Bouchard.

How many years now have the Oilers failed to address their goaltending and defense problems?

Also are we positive there's not a way both the Bruins and Panthers can lose that series? The Panthers dirty plays and diving and now questionable goal really takes the fun out of watching them beat Boston.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
How many years now have the Oilers failed to address their goaltending and defense problems?

Also are we positive there's not a way both the Bruins and Panthers can lose that series? The Panthers dirty plays and diving and now questionable goal really takes the fun out of watching them beat Boston.

makes me curious what would happen if say a series was tied and both teams came down with say a really nasty flu that knocked them out of commission for a couple weeks or something

would the league wait it out and delay other series? do they have some sort of tiebreaker system established where they would just give the win to the team with the better goal differential in the series or whatever?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
1715620826996.png

Because let's face it - AI-generated is the only way most of us will ever see Tranna win a Cup.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
View attachment 869962

Because let's face it - AI-generated is the only way most of us will ever see Tranna win a Cup.

apparently to win one Toronto needs to figure out how to make their players able to walk on water and big enough to make ships look tiny in comparison and convince the league to make a new Cup with an appropriate scale to be lifted by someone that size

• Love
Reactions: SoupNazi

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I found these two interviews with Paul Kariya interesting. Had season seats when he was in his heyday. They used to head hunt this guy. Was shocked when he said he had no recollection of events after the Stevens hit. Not the time lying on the ice, his return, the goal, after game reaction, NONE of it. He is working to track his diminished brain capacity.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
I found these two interviews with Paul Kariya interesting. Had season seats when he was in his heyday. They used to head hunt this guy. Was shocked when he said he had no recollection of events after the Stevens hit. Not the time lying on the ice, his return, the goal, after game reaction, NONE of it. He is working to track his diminished brain capacity.

Ha. I ended up running across these same videos just a few days ago. The algorithm wants us to watch Kariya apparently.

He's a really thoughtful and intelligent guy. It's definitely troubling that he has no recollection of the hit, the rest of the game, and I believe he said even the next game.

I remember some years ago Troy Aikman talking about taking a hit to the head, being in the locker room, having conversation with the trainer, and I believe going back in the game, and having no recollection of any of it.

The league still needs to do much better protecting players heads. Starting with severely punishing non-hockey plays that involve the head, like crosschecks and elbows.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ha. I ended up running across these same videos just a few days ago. The algorithm wants us to watch Kariya apparently.

He's a really thoughtful and intelligent guy. It's definitely troubling that he has no recollection of the hit, the rest of the game, and I believe he said even the next game.

I remember some years ago Troy Aikman talking about taking a hit to the head, being in the locker room, having conversation with the trainer, and I believe going back in the game, and having no recollection of any of it.

The league still needs to do much better protecting players heads. Starting with severely punishing non-hockey plays that involve the head, like crosschecks and elbows.
It isn't hard for us to find the example of how to do this. Turn on the World Championships, the IIHF calls head contact the way people who want to see it in order to take it out of the game. I know I am a caveman for happening to agree with the center mass hit should stay in the game even if it leads to contact. I just don't think it is hard to see where we seem to be evolving to. They are also far quicker to the major penalty variety.

Since we are on rules changes, I know points records and whatever else, but I would also like to go to the three point system that Europe has. I think it would help the league a lot, we have embraced change before, I would like the league to think more critically about elements we can see around the hockey world that make sense. They can have some pretty bad tunnel vision at times.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Edvinsson is a project defenseman, every defenseman is a project defenseman.

Shai Buium was picked 11 spots ahead of Stankoven. Johnston was the pick that Stevie traded up with to get Cossa.

I actually liked your last few posts, but then you had to argue with me anyways, lol. You were on a roll for a bit, now you ruined it.

Meanwhile, WTF is going on with Nichushkin?!?!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Filppula

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Shai Buium was picked 11 spots ahead of Stankoven. Johnston was the Cossa pick that Stevie traded up with.

I actually liked your last few posts, but then you had to argue with me anyways, lol.
Buium isn't really a project either. He's just a defenseman. Decent size, decent skating, decent puck skills. He never had any red flags, size, skating, compete, iq, etc...

5'6" center is the project if anyone...

I don't keep track of what I react to, that's just weird.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Buium isn't really a project either. He's just a defenseman. Decent size, decent skating, decent puck skills. He never had any red flags, size, skating, compete, iq, etc...

5'6" center is the project if anyone...

I don't keep track of what I react to, that's just weird.
You mean the 5'8" center that lit up the AHL in his rookie season, and got promoted to the big club? He's def small, but that's why he fell to the second round.

I was just surprised I liked a few of your posts today. I certainly look at the poster's name when I read posts.

And Buium is def a project. We'll see next season.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
as great as Dallas's 2021 draft is looking they did get somewhat lucky with Covid causing both Johnston and Stankoven to not play in their draft years and drive up their draft stock higher(or barely play in Stankoven's case, he did technically play 6 games)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
It isn't hard for us to find the example of how to do this. Turn on the World Championships, the IIHF calls head contact the way people who want to see it in order to take it out of the game. I know I am a caveman for happening to agree with the center mass hit should stay in the game even if it leads to contact. I just don't think it is hard to see where we seem to be evolving to. They are also far quicker to the major penalty variety.

Since we are on rules changes, I know points records and whatever else, but I would also like to go to the three point system that Europe has. I think it would help the league a lot, we have embraced change before, I would like the league to think more critically about elements we can see around the hockey world that make sense. They can have some pretty bad tunnel vision at times.

I agree the center mass hit should stay in the game as well. What would be a fantastic hit could otherwise become illegal in an instant if the player getting hit puts his head down. It's why I think non-hockey plays involving the head are the low hanging fruit for punishing. I realize that includes fighting, which I have mixed feelings about.

oh man don't get me started on the current points system in the NHL. And frankly they've already affected records and whatnot when they switched to a 3 on 3 OT.

The league embraces changes with open arms if it brings them more revenue, like the god-awful digital ads. But a 3 point system might affect the false parity and they are all about game management to keep games and the standings artificially close.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
It's OK, we picked a goalie and a project defenseman instead.
I am hoping Stevie and team will start going for some more boom/bust skill now that we have our defensive base and goalie (Cossa/ Augustine) sort of locked in. Dallas already had a decent base with Robertson, Hintz, Oettinger, and Heiskanen in the system prior to going for these guys. With Ed, Seider, Ray, and the goalies (hopefully) locked in I think now is the time to really go for the boom/bust forwards. Forwards typically take less time to develop so it makes sense to really go for them last.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I agree the center mass hit should stay in the game as well. What would be a fantastic hit could otherwise become illegal in an instant if the player getting hit puts his head down. It's why I think non-hockey plays involving the head are the low hanging fruit for punishing. I realize that includes fighting, which I have mixed feelings about.

oh man don't get me started on the current points system in the NHL. And frankly they've already affected records and whatnot when they switched to a 3 on 3 OT.

The league embraces changes with open arms if it brings them more revenue, like the god-awful digital ads. But a 3 point system might affect the false parity and they are all about game management to keep games and the standings artificially close.
Blatant checks from behind and total blind side hits should not be a part of the game, but I feel like the NHL has over policed checking to some degree and it has led to a lot more straight non hockey plays like the cross checking and high sticks to the head/neck area.

To me straight cross checks to someone's neck or head have zero place in the game. They aren't hockey plays and they aren't accidental unlike some of the checks where a player moves at the last minute and puts their head into the hit.

At least with a real fight (not someone jumping another player), the player has a chance to defend themselves and their face/head.

I think a lot of the head trauma of the past had a lot to do with guys not being monitored correctly, told the long term damage, and not being held out long enough. There should have been zero chance that Kariya was back in that game after the Stevens hit. He was out and motionless on the ice.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Blatant checks from behind and total blind side hits should not be a part of the game, but I feel like the NHL has over policed checking to some degree and it has led to a lot more straight non hockey plays like the cross checking and high sticks to the head/neck area.

To me straight cross checks to someone's neck or head have zero place in the game. They aren't hockey plays and they aren't accidental unlike some of the checks where a player moves at the last minute and puts their head into the hit.

At least with a real fight (not someone jumping another player), the player has a chance to defend themselves and their face/head.

I think a lot of the head trauma of the past had a lot to do with guys not being monitored correctly, told the long term damage, and not being held out long enough. There should have been zero chance that Kariya was back in that game after the Stevens hit. He was out and motionless on the ice.

Agreed. Another place I think the NHL is completely failing is hits from behind. It's technically not allowed, but is absolutely actually allowed in practice as long as you don't hit the guy too hard and nothing bad happens.

But if the guy you're running from behind stumbles, or something fluky happens then suddenly it's illegal again. The obvious solution to me is to actually not allow hitting from behind.

And while we're at it, any fight that happens after a hit is an automatic 2, 5, and 10 for the guy instigating. I think it's supposed to be that way but they rarely call it. Players shouldn't have to answer for a clean hard hit. And even if it's questionable, if you want to send a message you're gonna pay a price.

I am hoping Stevie and team will start going for some more boom/bust skill now that we have our defensive base and goalie (Cossa/ Augustine) sort of locked in. Dallas already had a decent base with Robertson, Hintz, Oettinger, and Heiskanen in the system prior to going for these guys. With Ed, Seider, Ray, and the goalies (hopefully) locked in I think now is the time to really go for the boom/bust forwards. Forwards typically take less time to develop so it makes sense to really go for them last.

Yup. It sure seems like Yzerman's got a window in mind. Also, it's hard to lure skill guys to a team that's awful. As the Wings claw their way out of the basement it should get less difficult to sign better players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad