Visiting Toronto?

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Anyone try out Lynx air yet? Looking at visiting the parents for Christmas and it’s about the third of the price from LAX to YYZ for direct flights as the competition.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Anyone try out Lynx air yet? Looking at visiting the parents for Christmas and it’s about the third of the price from LAX to YYZ for direct flights as the competition.

I've flown it. It's very budget, but if you like saving money more than you care about being more comfortable for 4.5 hours each way then it's a great way to save.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If you are a foodie and planning on visiting Toronto

MUST LIST: (according to me at least - close enough to downtown)
1) Taste of Danforth (best lamb ever!!! I guarantee you)
2) Little Italy (best Italian food in all of Canada YUP!!!)
3) Gerrard Street (Indian/Pakistiani cuisine) -> you will get to sample different varieties other than the freakin (boring) butter chicken LOL (P.S. Always avoid buffets the food isn't as good)
4) Chinatown (amazing amount of different chinese cuisine that is usually authentic unlike the beef/broccolli westernized chinese food)
5) Mandrin in Toronto (Young/Eglington) is the best there is when it comes to chinese buffet in all of Ontario IMO. Tremendous amount of options.

There used to be a restaurant called Lin Garden (Indo-Chinese Hakka cuisine) basically chinese food cooked in indian spices that was freakin' amazing. Am on the lookout for a new place if anyone knows quote this post

CN Tower is freakin' over rated IMO (but try the walk if you must lol); I assume since you are reading this on hockey board you will most definitely visit Hockey HoF (downtown); other attractions I'd recommend

1) Ripley's Aquarium (downtown)
2) Art Gallery of Ontario (downtown)
3) Jay's game (if you are baseball fan only Canadian team anyway ;))

Niagra falls is a given but meh...

If you are young (in 20s) stay downtown, there are plenty of "fun" activities to do downtown.

If you are visiting with family the kids will love Ripley's Aquarium; you can try Toronto zoo too kids would love that as well but plan well ahead.

Last but not the least young and old alike -> If you have the innerchild make sure to visit the Wonderland and go on the "drop zone" ;). Btw don't buy food there its expensive and crap btw. Just bring some snacks and then go crazy downtown with food ;)

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
If you are a foodie and planning on visiting Toronto

MUST LIST: (according to me at least - close enough to downtown)
1) Taste of Danforth (best lamb ever!!! I guarantee you)
2) Little Italy (best Italian food in all of Canada YUP!!!)
3) Gerrard Street (Indian/Pakistiani cuisine) -> you will get to sample different varieties other than the freakin (boring) butter chicken LOL (P.S. Always avoid buffets the food isn't as good)
4) Chinatown (amazing amount of different chinese cuisine that is usually authentic unlike the beef/broccolli westernized chinese food)
5) Mandrin in Toronto (Young/Eglington) is the best there is when it comes to chinese buffet in all of Ontario IMO. Tremendous amount of options.

There used to be a restaurant called Lin Garden (Indo-Chinese Hakka cuisine) basically chinese food cooked in indian spices that was freakin' amazing. Am on the lookout for a new place if anyone knows quote this post

CN Tower is freakin' over rated IMO (but try the walk if you must lol); I assume since you are reading this on hockey board you will most definitely visit Hockey HoF (downtown); other attractions I'd recommend

1) Ripley's Aquarium (downtown)
2) Art Gallery of Ontario (downtown)
3) Jay's game (if you are baseball fan only Canadian team anyway ;))

Niagra falls is a given but meh...

If you are young (in 20s) stay downtown, there are plenty of "fun" activities to do downtown.

If you are visiting with family the kids will love Ripley's Aquarium; you can try Toronto zoo too kids would love that as well but plan well ahead.

Last but not the least young and old alike -> If you have the innerchild make sure to visit the Wonderland and go on the "drop zone" ;). Btw don't buy food there its expensive and crap btw. Just bring some snacks and then go crazy downtown with food ;)
I'm from the GTA and it amazes me how many great spots there are that I haven't tried yet. I will travel for great food and know quite a few spots in the DT core. I know that if I'm downtown and feeling for Thai food, my go to is Pai. They have a couple of locations but all are great/incredible as far as taste goes. The original location being the best of them IMO.

Lots of places outside of the city with great food as well. Places like Olympus Burger in Port Hope or picking up the most delicious pies made by Mennonites at Lost Acre Variety in West Montrose.

Anthrax442

Aug 4, 2008
Toronto
www.russianroulette.ca
Im no foodie. Give me a good Shawarma and I will be happy.

Niagara is a place to see for sure, but if you are going in summer time, make sure you go there super early. It becomes busy as hell very quickly. Also I like to cross over to the US side, less peopley there. Niagara on the lake and the vicinity is a must if you like wine, there are many wineries there. Very good ice wine, if you into that sort of thing.

Visnovsky

Aug 20, 2010
Finland
The last time I was in Toronto, was back in 2009.

Some of the places that I visited and enjoyed a lot were the Air Canada Centre (Scotiabank Arena), Hockey Hall of Fame, and just roaming around Mississauga.

And of course Tim Hortons, really liked their Iced Capp. :)

Have fun, would love to visit Toronto again some time in the future!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm from the GTA and it amazes me how many great spots there are that I haven't tried yet. I will travel for great food and know quite a few spots in the DT core. I know that if I'm downtown and feeling for Thai food, my go to is Pai. They have a couple of locations but all are great/incredible as far as taste goes. The original location being the best of them IMO.

Lots of places outside of the city with great food as well. Places like Olympus Burger in Port Hope or picking up the most delicious pies made by Mennonites at Lost Acre Variety in West Montrose.
Is this the place? I'd be going to the one on queensway.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
The last time I was in Toronto, was back in 2009.

Some of the places that I visited and enjoyed a lot were the Air Canada Centre (Scotiabank Arena), Hockey Hall of Fame, and just roaming around Mississauga.

And of course Tim Hortons, really liked their Iced Capp. :)

Have fun, would love to visit Toronto again some time in the future!
I was going to say......if you want to get out of downtown for a bit, go to south Mississauga (Port Credit). Lots of nice restaurants, the beach (a bit more west of PC), and a pier. If you're a Dubas fan, you can even visit Dubas's old house and silently weep as you drive by.

Downtown Oakville and downtown Burlington are also nice. Food, some stores, easy parking, etc.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I was going to say......if you want to get out of downtown for a bit, go to south Mississauga (Port Credit). Lots of nice restaurants, the beach (a bit more west of PC), and a pier. If you're a Dubas fan, you can even visit Dubas's old house and silently weep as you drive by.

Downtown Oakville and downtown Burlington are also nice. Food, some stores, easy parking, etc.
I grew up in the Port Credit/Lorne Park area - it's amazing how much Port Credit has changed and grown in the last like 10 years or so. I still remember when it was pretty much dead growing up.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A boat tour of the harbour is a good way to get a view of the downtown towers, of the islands and an overview of some events in he history of the city. The tour company and water taxi business I know about is Toronto Harbour Tours at the foot of York Street. And they have a Beaver Tails franchise if you need a sweet munchy.

Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Malachi Crunch

Sep 24, 2022
I grew up in the Port Credit/Lorne Park area - it's amazing how much Port Credit has changed and grown in the last like 10 years or so. I still remember when it was pretty much dead growing up.
For sure! On summer nights, there can be upward of 100 people walking around. Especially on the pier and near that Snug Harbor area. It also has two awesome record stores if the OP is into that.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
A place I always make a point to get to every time I'm in town is Left Field Brewery - near the east end.

It's a baseball themed craft brewery. The beer's great, and it's usually a fun place to hang out
Place is great, my wife's cousin lives just a short walk from there. Somewhat still unknown and underrated from my circle of peeps.

Reactions: Menzinger

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Gather round and listen to the tales of a man who grew up in Pickering but spent a lot of time downtown. Put aside your tourist traps, I'm going to whisper the hidden gems any visitor needs to know about. This is the stuff only real Torontonians like myself are keen to...

The CN Tower

When you get off the barge that towed you to our town, you might see a very tall tower. The "CN" tower, named after it's creator Charles Newberg, is the second tallest building in Toronto. The other one is invisible, so I'd recommend seeking this one out. Unfortunately they don't permit visitors to climb it's tall bones, but you can get some great pictures from the ground and a neat souvenir mug.

Pizza Pizza

Only in Toronto. The best slice you'll find bar none.

The CNE

Little known pop up carnival that randomly spawns at different dates each year. Locals are so tired of it by this point that it's basically empty, enjoy taking your family around the various attractions in quiet solitude. Gets better every year.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
St. Lawrence Market
ROM
Kensington Market
Long & McQuade (if you play an instrument)
Canada's Wonderland
Hemingway's
Crown & Dragon (best wings in town)

The Brass Rail

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Really depends on what you want to do.

Parks
  • Trinity Bellwoods
  • Riverdale Park East
  • Centre Island