OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
What’s the deal with all the dispensaries not showing any product on the retail floor? Can’t smell or see the bud at all?

That’s weird. And not conducive to selling product. Apparently it’s an ILL law, but damn. That sucks for these businesses.

✌️
It is what they do in AZ too. And they prefer online orders so you just stop in and pick up. Cali you can see it and pick from the case.

Chicago had bad neighborhoods when I was there late 80's. I just think there is more reporting of things making it look worse than it is. I always have a great time in Chicago when there.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
It is what they do in AZ too. And they prefer online orders so you just stop in and pick up. Cali you can see it and pick from the case.

Chicago had bad neighborhoods when I was there late 80's. I just think there is more reporting of things making it look worse than it is. I always have a great time in Chicago when there.

Agreed. Was around Loop and River North and the city is great. MUCH more space than NYC. Much nicer.

Reactions: Putt Pirate

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Grandpa is coming to town for thanksgiving.
I’ll be 15 weeks recovered from open heart surgery and looking for 6 for the Hawk-Habs game that Friday.
Not looking to steal them just don’t want to get molested either.
Procured 6 seats today, section 334 row 1.
It was my original intent to buy in the 200 level My grandsons are 6 and 9 and with row 1 they are guaranteed no tall/large person blocking their view.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Procured 6 seats today, section 334 row 1.
It was my original intent to buy in the 200 level My grandsons are 6 and 9 and with row 1 they are guaranteed no tall/large person blocking their view.
Plane lands at midway in 35 minutes.
Anyone else going to see the Hawks and Habs on Friday? We could meet up between periods?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Plane lands at midway in 35 minutes.
Anyone else going to see the Hawks and Habs on Friday? We could meet up between periods?
I'll be there with the wife and in-laws. I'd be down for getting a drink with ya.

I have an extra ticket to the Nov 25th game vs. MTL if anyone is interested. My friends Dad cant make it anymore. Bonus, you get to meet me and sit beside me, lol, maybe I should edit that out as it may not help sell the ticket!

SEC 305 Row 2
Face value was $123, may be willing to negotiate price.
If anyone wants to go, let me know, probably sell the seat at a reduced price since I couldn't sell it previous to today. Otherwise it will just go unused.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida

Florida is the same and no recreational sales

I'll be there with the wife and in-laws. I'd be down for getting a drink with ya.

If anyone wants to go, let me know, probably sell the seat at a reduced price since I couldn't sell it previous to today. Otherwise it will just go unused.
You can write here. Lemme know where you’ll be between 1st and 2nd period.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Hand to god if I ever win the lottery I’m buying a season ticket suite for all 41 games of the year for hfboards hawks so I can piss myself hanging with the Chicago superfan peanut gallery and the rest of you degenerates here

It’ll all be livestreamed as a podcast and include a post-game round table discussion which red dog will sponsor, Musto gets dibs on front row and is obligated to give a Mitchell/Strome update at the start of every show while fiddy does the preamble with marbles in his mouth for accuracy & nostalgia

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I posted in the wrong thread last time, oops.

Going to Chicago Friday and wondering where's the best place to get tickets (Sunday game) ? And any cool spots we should try out?

Thanks in advance

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Visiting next week, beyond hyped to finally see your city. Just curious, here's what I have outlined.

Pequods Pizza
Jim's
Mr Beef

on top of that I'm trying to do RPM, Gibsons, Wrigley and Comisky. Am I missing any must try's? I'm staying at The Drake, so if I'm missing any must go to's close to that please tell me. Very excited to finally see your city!

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Visiting next week, beyond hyped to finally see your city. Just curious, here's what I have outlined.

Pequods Pizza
Jim's
Mr Beef

on top of that I'm trying to do RPM, Gibsons, Wrigley and Comisky. Am I missing any must try's? I'm staying at The Drake, so if I'm missing any must go to's close to that please tell me. Very excited to finally see your city!

If you're hard-up for a steak experience, I would personally skip Gibsons. It's good, but there are far better in Chicago, especially downtown, and if you're not too concerned with cost, then I would suggest going to one of the others. RPM is one, or Chicago Cut, or Maple and Ash. Maple and Ash is actually right by Gibsons near The Drake. but most of these are walking distance or a really quick, cheap Uber, though.

If you want a truly memorable dining experience, I would suggest The Signature Room at the 95th. Panoramic views of the city, skyline, and lakeshore from the 95th floor of the Hancock Building through floor to ceiling windows. An absolutely breathtaking way to see the city. Just be prepared to spend some serious coin. The 96th floor is their bar, The Signature Lounge at the 96th.

If you're into beer, there are a bunch of fantastic breweries in the city. Let me know if you'd like recommendations on any of those.

You nailed it on those first three, though, IMO. Pequods... get their pepperoni and get it well done(if you eat pepperoni). You won't be disappointed.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If you're hard-up for a steak experience, I would personally skip Gibsons. It's good, but there are far better in Chicago, especially downtown, and if you're not too concerned with cost, then I would suggest going to one of the others. RPM is one, or Chicago Cut, or Maple and Ash. Maple and Ash is actually right by Gibsons near The Drake. but most of these are walking distance or a really quick, cheap Uber, though.

If you want a truly memorable dining experience, I would suggest The Signature Room at the 95th. Panoramic views of the city, skyline, and lakeshore from the 95th floor of the Hancock Building through floor to ceiling windows. An absolutely breathtaking way to see the city. Just be prepared to spend some serious coin. The 96th floor is their bar, The Signature Lounge at the 96th.

If you're into beer, there are a bunch of fantastic breweries in the city. Let me know if you'd like recommendations on any of those.

You nailed it on those first three, though, IMO. Pequods... get their pepperoni and get it well done(if you eat pepperoni). You won't be disappointed.
Haha, I'm an IPA guy, so I'll hunt down Goose Island. It's legit been my go to beer for years.

I legit want to go to Gibson's since it was The League's spot, and it's a block away from whre i'm staying/I can send a mean fantasy tweet. I was just gonna go for the burger.

Ignoring cost, which steak house would you recommend? RPM caught my eye, and I feel the price bracket it is in, that there isn't a place that is out of it.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Haha, I'm an IPA guy, so I'll hunt down Goose Island. It's legit been my go to beer for years.

I legit want to go to Gibson's since it was The League's spot, and it's a block away from whre i'm staying/I can send a mean fantasy tweet. I was just gonna go for the burger.

Ignoring cost, which steak house would you recommend? RPM caught my eye, and I feel the price bracket it is in, that there isn't a place that is out of it.

Goose is good. If you want some really good IPAs you can make a trip over to Half Acre or Revolution, also. Revolution is my favorite brewery in the city right now.

For steak house, I'd do either RPM or Chicago Cut, while leaning towards Chicago Cut. The bone-in ribeye and bone-in prime rib are probably two of my favorite things, and Chicago Cut does them exceptionally well. Give me a really good prime ribeye and I'm happy. I don't need to spend an exorbitant amount of money on wagyu. I'm sure eventually I'll do it, but I don't have to do it to be happy with the steak I'm eating.

If you're looking for one whole experience, and somewhere you can still get steak and seafood if you want, then I'd suggest the Signature Room, even if the steak may not be as good as one of the places that focuses primarily on the steaks. If you really want a way to make a lasting memory of Chicago, that place is it. Just my opinion, though. If you're really itching to get ahold of really good steaks as the primary focus, then definitely hit a steak house.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Goose is good. If you want some really good IPAs you can make a trip over to Half Acre or Revolution, also. Revolution is my favorite brewery in the city right now.

For steak house, I'd do either RPM or Chicago Cut, while leaning towards Chicago Cut. The bone-in ribeye and bone-in prime rib are probably two of my favorite things, and Chicago Cut does them exceptionally well. Give me a really good prime ribeye and I'm happy. I don't need to spend an exorbitant amount of money on wagyu. I'm sure eventually I'll do it, but I don't have to do it to be happy with the steak I'm eating.

If you're looking for one whole experience, and somewhere you can still get steak and seafood if you want, then I'd suggest the Signature Room, even if the steak may not be as good as one of the places that focuses primarily on the steaks. If you really want a way to make a lasting memory of Chicago, that place is it. Just my opinion, though. If you're really itching to get ahold of really good steaks as the primary focus, then definitely hit a steak house.
Thanks for the advice, I sent you a dm for questions about Chicago. Thanks a lot for your help.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles

Maple and Ash is a great steakhouse if you want to ball out.

Edit: Chihawks beat me to it

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Maple and Ash is a great steakhouse if you want to ball out.

Edit: Chihawks beat me to it
haha, Chihawks convinced me to make reso's at the 95th. Think I'll still hit RPM or Maple & Ash the night before if possible. But as residents, I'm legit curious where near the Golden Mile is the best deep dish and/or Italian beef are? Those are the things I actually want to see. I feel high-end stake houses are something I can see in most places, the best deep dish or the best italian beef are unique to Chicago which are really the things I want to see.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
haha, Chihawks convinced me to make reso's at the 95th. Think I'll still hit RPM or Maple & Ash the night before if possible. But as residents, I'm legit curious where near the Golden Mile is the best deep dish and/or Italian beef are? Those are the things I actually want to see. I feel high-end stake houses are something I can see in most places, the best deep dish or the best italian beef are unique to Chicago.

And I don't think you'll regret it.

Pequod's, hands down, is the best deep dish pizza you'll find, IMO. And again, get the pepperoni if you are a pepperoni lover, and have it cooked well-done. There's also a small place a few blocks away from the southern end of Millenium Park called Pizano's, off Michigan and Madison, which also has fantastic deep dish, and is my wife's personal favorite.

As for beef, I think Al's and Mr. Beef are both fantastic, and both aren't far from The Drake, so why not hit both, and then you can join in the argument of which is better? Haha.

Another thing you may want to try... the breaded steak sandwich from Ricobene's. It's a little farther south by Chinatown, but man... it's fantastic. Breaded steak sandwich covered in red sauce... it's absolutely iconic to Chicago and I don't know if you'll find a single Chicagoan that doesn't like it.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Pequod's is good, but to me it's not exactly a deep dish. It's like a deep dish/pan pizza hybrid. I'm partial to Lou's, but everyone has their preference.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Lots of good advice here. You can get a good steak anywhere, so it's not really on my to-do list when I travel. I like to sample food unique to the area I am traveling. Or unique experiences.

Get some "deep dish". Also make sure to get some Chicago style pizza.(Thin, almost cracker crust, cut in squares) Lots of great options for both, near downtown.

Signature room is a no-brainer. Fantastic food, and an iconic view. It is worth the price. Especially considering it's no different than any other high end restaurant, cost wise. I've been three times, and it's always great.

A nighttime boat cruise on Lake Michigan is also a must-do, in my opinion. The skyline view is really, really hard to beat.

This is a view from the river, from a recent trip:

20190817_212159.jpg

The view from out on the lake is even better.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I like Pizzeria Uno for deep dish. I’m also partial to Giordano’s.

Pequods pan pizza is more similar to Detroit style pizza than deep dish. Except it’s still round

The Pizano's restaurant I also suggested(my wife's favorite deep dish) is owned by the same family that founded Pizzeria Uno, actually. May want to check it out if you're up that way. Right off Michigan and Madison. Fantastic deep dish.

Pequod's is good, but to me it's not exactly a deep dish. It's like a deep dish/pan pizza hybrid. I'm partial to Lou's, but everyone has their preference.

A fair assessment. It's close, but not quite the same. I still think it destroys Lou's or Giordano's or anywhere else, really, for those styles of pizza.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Pequod's is definitely its own breed for me. Sausage is my favorite pizza topping but at Pequod's you absolutely have to get pepperoni, since it complements the burnt crust so well, while their sausage is whatever. I like it, but it's not my favorite.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lots of good advice here. You can get a good steak anywhere, so it's not really on my to-do list when I travel. I like to sample food unique to the area I am traveling. Or unique experiences.

Get some "deep dish". Also make sure to get some Chicago style pizza.(Thin, almost cracker crust, cut in squares) Lots of great options for both, near downtown.

Signature room is a no-brainer. Fantastic food, and an iconic view. It is worth the price. Especially considering it's no different than any other high end restaurant, cost wise. I've been three times, and it's always great.

A nighttime boat cruise on Lake Michigan is also a must-do, in my opinion. The skyline view is really, really hard to beat.

This is a view from the river, from a recent trip:

View attachment 716684

The view from out on the lake is even better.
Yeah, I'm travelling with my dad to finally see Wrigley. We pulled off Fenway like a decade ago, and those two have always been my two bucket list baseball experiences, also happens you are playing the Orioles (Jays fan here), so I'll be cheering hard for the Cubs, He's a big fish/seafood guy, and I tend to lean steaks, hence making chophouses/steakhouses the logical option for dinners.

The more local experiences which I am trying to pull off in regards to food is more me being on my own for lunch, as I don't think he has much interest in going for Deep Dish, or Italian Beef (maybe I'll talk him into Jim's for a Polish Sausage).

I'm hoping to pull of 90% of my list in my 4 days in Chicago. I find it's similar to going to NYC which I've been to before, where my list of things to do is always too large too accomplish in the finite amount of time I have. Outside of the baseball games (Going on the 18th to the Cubs, and the 19th to Comiskey), in regards to activities Riverboat architecture tour is the top of my list. But, getting to a great Pizza spot (likely Pequods), Italian Beef (likely Mr. Beef) and Jim's. Just curious what for this thin crust Chicago style pizza place would you recommend near Magnificent Mile. If I can find the time, I'm def interested in trying it. I'm sure in time I'll visit again and be able to hit all the spots I missed (Buddy Guy's club which I can't seem to fit in, whatever the top BBQ spot is, maybe a Blackhawks or Bulls game at United Center, etc)

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, I'm travelling with my dad to finally see Wrigley. We pulled off Fenway like a decade ago, and those two have always been my two bucket list baseball experiences, also happens you are playing the Orioles (Jays fan here), so I'll be cheering hard for the Cubs, He's a big fish/seafood guy, and I tend to lean steaks, hence making chophouses/steakhouses the logical option for dinners.

The more local experiences which I am trying to pull off in regards to food is more me being on my own for lunch, as I don't think he has much interest in going for Deep Dish, or Italian Beef (maybe I'll talk him into Jim's for a Polish Sausage).

I'm hoping to pull of 90% of my list in my 4 days in Chicago. I find it's similar to going to NYC which I've been to before, where my list of things to do is always too large too accomplish in the finite amount of time I have. Outside of the baseball games (Going on the 18th to the Cubs, and the 19th to Comiskey), in regards to activities Riverboat architecture tour is the top of my list. But, getting to a great Pizza spot (likely Pequods), Italian Beef (likely Mr. Beef) and Jim's. Just curious what for this thin crust Chicago style pizza place would you recommend near Magnificent Mile. If I can find the time, I'm def interested in trying it. I'm sure in time I'll visit again and be able to hit all the spots I missed (Buddy Guy's club which I can't seem to fit in, whatever the top BBQ spot is, maybe a Blackhawks or Bulls game at United Center, etc)
Mostly any place serving deep dish will also serve thin crust. IMO, a lot of the best thin crust joints aren't in the heart of the city. But I'm sure someone here can give you a solid rec.

- Never had Pequod's thin, but it looks more doughy than what I would considered a traditional Chicago thin.

- I'd consider Giordano's traditional and pretty good from what I remember. I think they lay it on a little thicker. Would be a good spot if you'e trying to grab a DD and thin from the same spot. Probably one of the spots that attracts the most out-of-towners.

- I really like Nancy's- thinner, bite sized pieces. There is one in West Loop, a couple miles from the Mag Mile. Not a fan of their DD or stuffed pizzas.

- Love Lou's DD. Their thin is good, but certainly unique and not what I think of when I think of a traditional Chicago thin.

- Never had Pizano's, but both their DD and thin look awesome. Could be another good spot if you want to try both.

Hard to go wrong with any that have been mentioned in this thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad