OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Mostly any place serving deep dish will also serve thin crust. IMO, a lot of the best thin crust joints aren't in the heart of the city. But I'm sure someone here can give you a solid rec.

- Never had Pequod's thin, but it looks more doughy than what I would considered a traditional Chicago thin.

- I'd consider Giordano's traditional and pretty good from what I remember. I think they lay it on a little thicker. Would be a good spot if you'e trying to grab a DD and thin from the same spot. Probably one of the spots that attracts the most out-of-towners.

- I really like Nancy's- thinner, bite sized pieces. There is one in West Loop, a couple miles from the Mag Mile. Not a fan of their DD or stuffed pizzas.

- Love Lou's DD. Their thin is good, but certainly unique and not what I think of when I think of a traditional Chicago thin.

- Never had Pizano's, but both their DD and thin look awesome. Could be another good spot if you want to try both.

Hard to go wrong with any that have been mentioned in this thread.

Pizano's thin crust is also fantastic. Their deep dish and Chicago style thin are both from Pizzeria Uno fame. It's owned by the same family.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Yeah, I'm travelling with my dad to finally see Wrigley. We pulled off Fenway like a decade ago, and those two have always been my two bucket list baseball experiences, also happens you are playing the Orioles (Jays fan here), so I'll be cheering hard for the Cubs, He's a big fish/seafood guy, and I tend to lean steaks, hence making chophouses/steakhouses the logical option for dinners.

The more local experiences which I am trying to pull off in regards to food is more me being on my own for lunch, as I don't think he has much interest in going for Deep Dish, or Italian Beef (maybe I'll talk him into Jim's for a Polish Sausage).

I'm hoping to pull of 90% of my list in my 4 days in Chicago. I find it's similar to going to NYC which I've been to before, where my list of things to do is always too large too accomplish in the finite amount of time I have. Outside of the baseball games (Going on the 18th to the Cubs, and the 19th to Comiskey), in regards to activities Riverboat architecture tour is the top of my list. But, getting to a great Pizza spot (likely Pequods), Italian Beef (likely Mr. Beef) and Jim's. Just curious what for this thin crust Chicago style pizza place would you recommend near Magnificent Mile. If I can find the time, I'm def interested in trying it. I'm sure in time I'll visit again and be able to hit all the spots I missed (Buddy Guy's club which I can't seem to fit in, whatever the top BBQ spot is, maybe a Blackhawks or Bulls game at United Center, etc)
Go to Aurelio's or Flo & Santos, both in the South Loop, on the way to the Sox game. Both are right off the Roosevelt Red Line stop, so you can get off there and then hop back on and it's 2 more stops to the ballpark.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I just want to say, thanks to everyone who has contributed. Can't wait to visit this weekend. I'm trying to incorporate all your recommendations.

Reactions: Paul Allen

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hey, just reporting back in. Here's my takes from my visit. Just to thank you guys, and give anyone else planning a visit some insight.

Okay, first day the first three things I did after checking into the hotel was walk down Magnificent Mile, a burger at Gibson's and then went on the Architectural tour. Literally, couldn't have asked for a better kick off to the city. Went that night to RPM Italian which I would strongly recommend to anyone who hasn't been, and unless you are really chasing the high-end steak or seafood is well priced. Day two, hit Wrigley, walked to Pequod's (but couldn't get in) went to Al's Beef, and went to Signature Room at night, . Third day, hit Lou's, top of the Sears, the Art Institure of Chicago to see Van Gogh (unreal collection), and go to the White Sox game. I'll say this, Wrigley the Stadium has character (although a ton of obstructed views), White Sox's fans have character for better and worse (hope no one takes offense). I don't think anywhere else I've seen unlicenced liquor sales of shots before a game (and I've tailgaited at Browns and Bills games), so since I've been to Fenway, in many ways despite going to Wrigley, Comiskey was the most unique baseball stadium experience I've had. Despite the loose laws outside, it def felt like the strictest inside stadium experience (The Cell nickname may have multiple connotations), but the food was good (to try to experience more of chicago, I just got one Polish sausage and one hot dog from Vienna Beef) and the options around looked amazing. Finally, today, I hit Pequods with an early reservation and then walked Oak Beach to Navy Pier and back.

In totality. While Signature Room was a cool experience, especially because I sat on the south side of the building looking at all of Chicago and the food was good, the support staff outside the waiters felt like they were trying to rush me out. Amazing place to see once, but I didn't think it was fine dining. Now, RPM Italian is amazing, and makes me want to go back to every other RPM whether Seafood or the Steakhouse. I only ate there for lunch and drank at Gibson's bar (went once for food once for drink), but I'd love to check it out again, the staff there was amazing. A waitress there gave me a list of things I need to check out if I ever return (Little Chaval for Burgers, Luke's Italian Beef, etc).

In short

-Italian Beef is a must try (pick your spot). I loved Al's. (oh and for outsiders go all out, get the spicy giardiniera and dipped)
- Pequods is great, but I've had similar in Toronto, while Lou's may not be better, it is more unique. And, whoever said here that Pequod's is more Detroit style, after trying Lou's, I agree.
-unfortunately couldn't get to Jimbo's.
-I feel Toronto always gets compared to Chicago good and bad. I will say this, Your waterfront and parkspace makes me ashamed of what we've managed to do with ours, and we don't have anything that touches magnificent or park allocation on the positive front.

As expected, while I feel I accomplished most of what I wanted to do, I am itching to return. Thanks to everyone here who helped give advice. Especially @Paul Allen and @ChiHawks10 I didn't think an American city could surpass NYC, and while I'm not sure you did, you guys are seriously 1A and 1B of American cities I've visited. Thank you again to everyone for all your help in helping me figure out what I should do.

Fortunately, I now need to return to try some of this infamous thin crust, some of the mexican food, and some of your burger joints on top of enjoying a truly world class city.

edit: Thanks again, threads like these have helped me for multiple cities. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons the Leafs board doesn't have this, if anyone here sees this and is visiting Toronto, please DM me, threads like these have helped me have great experiences in cities, and I'm more than glad to return the favor for anyone coming my way.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pequod's is good, but to me it's not exactly a deep dish. It's like a deep dish/pan pizza hybrid. I'm partial to Lou's, but everyone has their preference.
Actually left thinking this. Pequod's was great is similar to something I've had before (Toronto has a great Detroit Style spot), Lou's was truly unique. Not sure which one I think is better, but I'm glad I tried both, because Lou's was like something I have never had before, and while Pequod's was unreal, I have had close variations of it.

edit: talking to locals (mainly servers and peoples I met at bars/restaurants), you guys have heated pizza debate and I love it. Makes me want to come back for more.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Oh, really random question, and the staff looked at me like I was crazy when I asked (not exactly shocking). Feel no where else would make sense to ask this.

So, if any of you've seen Wayne's World, the movie is set in Chicago because they wanted it to be an American city, but Mike Myers inspiration for a lot of things was based on his childhood in Toronto/Scarbrough (Chicago is Toronto, Aurora is supposed to be Scarbrough). Chicago was the easiest city to write for as a Toronto replacement. When walking in Chicago, I saw a place called Stan's Donuts and Coffee (tried it, pretty good). In the movie, there is a place called Stan Mikita's Donuts, where Wayne and Garth hangout, this is apparently based on Myer's and his friends hanging out at Tim Horton's (basically Canada's Dunkin Donuts in how its everywhere, and a lot of peoples go to cheap coffee) in Canada, so he decided to name it after Mikita in the movie because he was the first iconic Blackhawk that came to mind at the time. Is this just a random coincidence, or did the owner take inspiration from that.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Oh, really random question, and the staff looked at me like I was crazy when I asked (not exactly shocking). Feel no where else would make sense to ask this.

So, if any of you've seen Wayne's World, the movie is set in Chicago because they wanted it to be an American city, but Mike Myers inspiration for a lot of things was based on his childhood in Toronto/Scarbrough (Chicago is Toronto, Aurora is supposed to be Scarbrough). Chicago was the easiest city to write for as a Toronto replacement. When walking in Chicago, I saw a place called Stan's Donuts and Coffee (tried it, pretty good). In the movie, there is a place called Stan Mikita's Donuts, where Wayne and Garth hangout, this is apparently based on Myer's and his friends hanging out at Tim Horton's (basically Canada's Dunkin Donuts in how its everywhere, and a lot of peoples go to cheap coffee) in Canada, so he decided to name it after Mikita in the movie because he was the first iconic Blackhawk that came to mind at the time. Is this just a random coincidence, or did the owner take inspiration from that.
Totally coincidental, Stan's took its name from what was originally a donut shop in LA.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Hey, just reporting back in. Here's my takes from my visit. Just to thank you guys, and give anyone else planning a visit some insight.

Okay, first day the first three things I did after checking into the hotel was walk down Magnificent Mile, a burger at Gibson's and then went on the Architectural tour. Literally, couldn't have asked for a better kick off to the city. Went that night to RPM Italian which I would strongly recommend to anyone who hasn't been, and unless you are really chasing the high-end steak or seafood is well priced. Day two, hit Wrigley, walked to Pequod's (but couldn't get in) went to Al's Beef, and went to Signature Room at night, . Third day, hit Lou's, top of the Sears, the Art Institure of Chicago to see Van Gogh (unreal collection), and go to the White Sox game. I'll say this, Wrigley the Stadium has character (although a ton of obstructed views), White Sox's fans have character for better and worse (hope no one takes offense). I don't think anywhere else I've seen unlicenced liquor sales of shots before a game (and I've tailgaited at Browns and Bills games), so since I've been to Fenway, in many ways despite going to Wrigley, Comiskey was the most unique baseball stadium experience I've had. Despite the loose laws outside, it def felt like the strictest inside stadium experience (The Cell nickname may have multiple connotations), but the food was good (to try to experience more of chicago, I just got one Polish sausage and one hot dog from Vienna Beef) and the options around looked amazing. Finally, today, I hit Pequods with an early reservation and then walked Oak Beach to Navy Pier and back.

The no-laws outside thing is super weird, really only took off in the last couple of season. I don't know why the police doesn't enforce anything.

And yeah, unfortunately the organization hates the fans that do show up and enforces the ridiculous policy to keep 500 level ticket holders out of the 100 level. I get it for huge crowds, but when there's 25k people there it's so stupid and probably costs them money, since lower level concessions are better and people will spend more.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The no-laws outside thing is super weird, really only took off in the last couple of season. I don't know why the police doesn't enforce anything.

And yeah, unfortunately the organization hates the fans that do show up and enforces the ridiculous policy to keep 500 level ticket holders out of the 100 level. I get it for huge crowds, but when there's 25k people there it's so stupid and probably costs them money, since lower level concessions are better and people will spend more.
Yeah, while I don't really care about underage drinking or whatever, this just seemed primed to be exploited. Hell, I even saw a guy set up inside the L-train station. Not giving 500 fans access to the 100 concourse at all (I was 100 so I couldn't tell) is beyond ridiculous, especially when I believe all your statues of your iconic players are at center field/scattered around the 100s. The disparity between inside and outside was nuts.

ObeyPerry

Sep 5, 2011
Chicago, IL

In totality. While Signature Room was a cool experience, especially because I sat on the south side of the building looking at all of Chicago and the food was good, the support staff outside the waiters felt like they were trying to rush me out. Amazing place to see once, but I didn't think it was fine dining. Now, RPM Italian is amazing, and makes me want to go back to every other RPM whether Seafood or the Steakhouse. I only ate there for lunch and drank at Gibson's bar (went once for food once for drink), but I'd love to check it out again, the staff there was amazing. A waitress there gave me a list of things I need to check out if I ever return (Little Chaval for Burgers, Luke's Italian Beef, etc).

In short

-Italian Beef is a must try (pick your spot). I loved Al's. (oh and for outsiders go all out, get the spicy giardiniera and dipped)
- Pequods is great, but I've had similar in Toronto, while Lou's may not be better, it is more unique. And, whoever said here that Pequod's is more Detroit style, after trying Lou's, I agree.
-I feel Toronto always gets compared to Chicago good and bad. I will say this, Your waterfront and parkspace makes me ashamed of what we've managed to do with ours, and we don't have anything that touches magnificent or park allocation on the positive front.

As expected, while I feel I accomplished most of wanted to do, I am itching to return. Thanks to everyone here who helped give advice. Especially @Paul Allen and @ChiHawks10 I didn't think an American city could surpass NYC, and while I'm not sure you did, you guys are seriously 1A and 1B of American cities I've visited. Thank you again to everyone for all your help in helping me figure out what I should do.

Fortunately, I now need to return to try some of this infamous thin crust, some of the mexican food, and some of your burger joints on top of enjoying a truly world class city.

edit: Thanks again, threads like these have helped me for multiple cities. Unfortunately, for whatever reasons the Leafs board doesn't have this, if anyone here sees this and is visiting Toronto, please DM me, threads like these have helped me have great experiences in cities, and I'm more than glad to return the favor for anyone coming my way.
Why mess with Little Cheval if you come back? Just go straight to Au Cheval.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago

In short

As expected, while I feel I accomplished most of what I wanted to do, I am itching to return. Thanks to everyone here who helped give advice. Especially @Paul Allen and @ChiHawks10 I didn't think an American city could surpass NYC, and while I'm not sure you did, you guys are seriously 1A and 1B of American cities I've visited. Thank you again to everyone for all your help in helping me figure out what I should do.

awesome trip. i would've definitely recommended avoiding dinner at the Signature Room and just going up there for a drink and the view. Probably over 1000 better option for dinner in the city.

will make a note of that. Just felt I got told about Little Cheval more often. Thanks for the tip.
skip em both and go to Red Hot Ranch for a RHR Double with Cheese. Think In and Out only about 100x better.

ObeyPerry

Sep 5, 2011
Chicago, IL
awesome trip. i would've definitely recommended avoiding dinner at the Signature Room and just going up there for a drink and the view. Probably over 1000 better option for dinner in the city.

skip em both and go to Red Hot Ranch for a RHR Double with Cheese. Think In and Out only about 100x better.
Or Kumas, Paradise Pup or my favorite, The Loyalist.

What are the best bars for hockey? Thinking of trying bartending again
Hawkeye's on Taylor Street would be the answer.

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
We're from CHI originally, now live in ATL, and my son is visiting CHI. I know you guys probably go here every month but he went to the original Billy Goat Tavern.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Hi everyone.

I'm visiting Chicago for the first time this weekend for the home opener and was hoping to get some advice about getting around the city. I'm staying very close to Lagunitas Brewing Company. Would it be worth it for me to buy a train pass and use that to get to United Center and some of the other places I'm going? I'm not familiar with the area but heard that there's a stop pretty close to where I'm staying and from what I can tell, it looks like I'll only be about a 15-20 minute drive from the arena. I plan on Saturday being pretty much a Hawks day but am supposed to do a First Lady River Cruise and want to stop by the Bean (I know it's under construction) on Sunday, so would the train help me get to either of those places in addition to the arena? My backup plan is to get an Uber to get me anywhere I need to go that isn't in walking distance, but if the train is cheaper, I'd rather go with that. I just want to ensure it stops where I want to go and runs late enough for me to get back to my Airbnb after the game. Getting an Uber to places the train doesn't stop near will have to happen but it's always better to save money by not taking one when possible.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a time to get to the arena for the Red Carpet event? It looks like the players are supposed to get there at 4:30, but I'd like to get there early enough for a chance at being near the front for an autograph if possible (would love to have Bedard sign a Chicago Tribune I have from draft night). When have people started to line up for these in the past?

Thanks for any help!

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
Hi everyone.

I'm visiting Chicago for the first time this weekend for the home opener and was hoping to get some advice about getting around the city. I'm staying very close to Lagunitas Brewing Company. Would it be worth it for me to buy a train pass and use that to get to United Center and some of the other places I'm going? I'm not familiar with the area but heard that there's a stop pretty close to where I'm staying and from what I can tell, it looks like I'll only be about a 15-20 minute drive from the arena. I plan on Saturday being pretty much a Hawks day but am supposed to do a First Lady River Cruise and want to stop by the Bean (I know it's under construction) on Sunday, so would the train help me get to either of those places in addition to the arena? My backup plan is to get an Uber to get me anywhere I need to go that isn't in walking distance, but if the train is cheaper, I'd rather go with that. I just want to ensure it stops where I want to go and runs late enough for me to get back to my Airbnb after the game. Getting an Uber to places the train doesn't stop near will have to happen but it's always better to save money by not taking one when possible.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a time to get to the arena for the Red Carpet event? It looks like the players are supposed to get there at 4:30, but I'd like to get there early enough for a chance at being near the front for an autograph if possible (would love to have Bedard sign a Chicago Tribune I have from draft night). When have people started to line up for these in the past?

Thanks for any help!

For the train: I believe Lagunitas is in Pilsen so you should be fairly close to the Pink Line. That runs near the United Center then loops around the Loop and back to Pilsen. So the train can get you to the Bean and other attractions downtown. I’d check out the Art Institute while you’re there and grab a drink at Cindy’s on the roof of the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel. The Sears Tower and the Museum campus are also nearby.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Since I loved to the suburbs 3 years ago I feel like a tourist when I return so this feels like the proper spot for me to post this question.

Need a spot to eat before the game Saturday west loop area, nothing fancy. Just for me and my buddy and his college aged son who is not an adventurous eater.. Was thinking the Loyalist, but the menu is pretty limited if you're not there for the burger.

Would love to hit Au Cheval, but scared of the wait time.

Any other suggestions? was gonna go to Little Goat Diner, but didn't realize it moved to Southport corridor.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Since I loved to the suburbs 3 years ago I feel like a tourist when I return so this feels like the proper spot for me to post this question.

Need a spot to eat before the game Saturday west loop area, nothing fancy. Just for me and my buddy and his college aged son who is not an adventurous eater.. Was thinking the Loyalist, but the menu is pretty limited if you're not there for the burger.

Would love to hit Au Cheval, but scared of the wait time.

Any other suggestions? was gonna go to Little Goat Diner, but didn't realize it moved to Southport corridor.
My first suggestion would be SoJu BBQ. Not sure how that would go over with the non-adventurous eater, though. Depends on what is considered "non-adventurous".

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
My first suggestion would be SoJu BBQ. Not sure how that would go over with the non-adventurous eater, though. Depends on what is considered "non-adventurous".
I would love that, but don't think it will work with the kid. I was thinking Green Street Smoked Meats. Been a long time since I've been there. I'm sure the kid can find something to eat there. I've seen him eat chicken and corn on the cob before.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I would love that, but don't think it will work with the kid. I was thinking Green Street Smoked Meats. Been a long time since I've been there. I'm sure the kid can find something to eat there. I've seen him eat chicken and corn on the cob before.

High Five Ramen is in the same complex, so there are some options there. Green Street is probably a safe bet. Don't know many college kids who would turn down any kind of bbq. Both places are owned by the same group that owns Au Cheval, btw.

Reactions: shakes the clown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad