OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

Mojo007

Sep 26, 2012
Bratislava
Hey guys, just wanted to stop by and say thank you @IU Hawks fan and @No Fun Shogun for the tips and information some 2 months ago :)

I had a great time visiting Chicago and United center, the only thing I would change is arriving one day earlier to catch the Marian Hossa night (as he is my fellow countryman from Slovakia). We've also met some nice lads @326 sector - shared some drinks and laughs along the way.

Have great day, cheers!

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Hello I will be making a trip to Chicago to attend a game at Wrigley in August, it will be my first time. I was looking for hotel recommendations that are either near the stadium or easy access to the stadium.

I am not looking for anything fancy a chain hotel is fine just want a clean room and an easy way to get to/from Wrigley

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I can't speak for Wrigleyville hotels, but my recommendation would be to basically just look at hotels in the Loop and book one of them. Regardless of the one you pick, you won't be too far from the red line, so getting to and from Wrigley would be easy once you account for the first few L trains being packed upon leaving the game. If not the Loop, look up hotels by proximity to the red line. There are plenty of those and are easily rated if you look on Google Maps.

Hakoon

Oct 11, 2018
Hello I will be making a trip to Chicago to attend a game at Wrigley in August, it will be my first time. I was looking for hotel recommendations that are either near the stadium or easy access to the stadium.

I am not looking for anything fancy a chain hotel is fine just want a clean room and an easy way to get to/from Wrigley
The Palmer House is Classic. Great place to get the "essence" of the city. (plus Miller's Pub is 1/2 block down the street!) Very historic hotel, rooms used to be small but when Hilton bought it they knocked out every other wall so each room is pretty good sized. Dunno if Priceline.com still has the "Name your own Price" tool but I used to be able to trick it into booking me there. Once, though, I ended up at the Chicago Hilton which sucked.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Hey guys. Coming to visit for a couple of days at end of October.

Staying in loop.

Great spots for blues/live music?

Sushi?

Dispensary?

And is Uber back and forth to united center easy or a whole production?

Thx!!

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Going to be coming to Chicago Thanksgiving weekend to take in a Hawks game.

Best place to sit in the 300s? I was looking at Section 313 Row 2, for $100/ea. Just wondering if its maybe better to buy 320 Row 2 for the extra $31/ea or are they pretty similar and not worth the extra cost?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Best place to sit in the 300s? I was looking at Section 313 Row 2, for $100/ea. Just wondering if its maybe better to buy 320 Row 2 for the extra $31/ea or are they pretty similar and not worth the extra cost?
Stubhub has section 313 the Sunday after thanksgiving for $39 apiece in section 313. I’d personally wait until it gets closer and they’re still winless.

Reactions: QueerGirrl

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Stubhub has section 313 the Sunday after thanksgiving for $39 apiece in section 313. I’d personally wait until it gets closer and they’re still winless.
We are hitting up the Friday game at 1pm vs. Montreal. Money isn't a huge deal, just don't want to spend 200+ on section 200 and 100.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Wow I haven't checked tickets yet for when I'll be in Chicago, but I'm shocked 300s are $100 at this point. Can't imagine they stay that high.

Reactions: Pez68

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Wow I haven't checked tickets yet for when I'll be in Chicago, but I'm shocked 300s are $100 at this point. Can't imagine they stay that high.
you can get some for $51, but they are near the very back I think. But I dont know the UC at all, hence my original question.

Its also vs. Mtl so it's possible that tickets continue to sell and I lose out if I wait too long I would think.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Hey guys. Coming to visit for a couple of days at end of October.

Staying in loop.

Great spots for blues/live music?

Sushi?

Dispensary?

And is Uber back and forth to united center easy or a whole production?

Thx!!

Know I’m but a mere transplant and visiter to this board but wanted to chime in with a few thoughts.

Blues / Live music - Kingston Mines is a great blues bar but in my experience can get a little rowdy in a college sort of way. Fine time in my book though. My personal favorite is Rosa’s Lounge out in Logan Square. Will be a bit of a ride and have to buy tickets in advance but amazing talent in there. If jazz is your thing, Andy’s Jazz Club is a good spot, Lazy Bird at the Hoxton Hotel also frequently has jazz acts but it is a trendier scene. The Bassment in River North is usually a fun time, they almost always have a “wedding band” type of performance but it again is clubbier / trendier. Finally there are tons of small venues around the city that will usually have an act - check out Schubas, Thalia Hall, The Empty Bottle, Lincoln Hall, etc if you are into the Indie scene.

Sushi - my personal favorite is Sushi San in River North. Good balance between great food and price…not cheap by any means but sushi can get $$$. Momotaro in the West Loop is excellent but pricy/trendy, the Izakaya in the basement has much of the same menu but is easier to get a table. Kumoko and Omakase Yume are both highly recommended for Omakase but haven’t been to either personally.

Dispensary - depending on where you’re coming from prices at Chicago dispensaries likely come with a sticker shock. Total tax rate I believe is pushing 30%. Flower is usually sold in 3.5 g and ranges from $60-80. I go to Dispensary 33 in the West Loop because it is closest to me. ZenLeaf is popular as well.

Uber is generally easy. Last time I did it there was a pretty orderly process in the parking lot / pickup zone to connect you with your driver. That said like any big event there will be surge / wait time to get a car after the game. Could always walk down Madison to the Billy Goat Tavern or Ranalli’s to grab another beer and wait out the Uber craziness. Fine area to walk in.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

You'll get them for much cheaper day/week of. As far as seats there's really not a bad one in the place.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
You'll get them for much cheaper day/week of. As far as seats there's really not a bad one in the place.
I can't wait that long, as i have 4 others coming with me and don't want to take the chance we can't get 5 all in the same spot. Bought my tickets yesterday, section 305 Row 2.

Arriving in Grand Rapids (brother in laws) then taking a train Thanksgiving Friday morning to Chicago in time for the game, then doing the whole touristy thing for the weekend.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I can't wait that long, as i have 4 others coming with me and don't want to take the chance we can't get 5 all in the same spot. Bought my tickets yesterday, section 305 Row 2.

Arriving in Grand Rapids (brother in laws) then taking a train Thanksgiving Friday morning to Chicago in time for the game, then doing the whole touristy thing for the weekend.
Have fun bud.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Enjoy! I'm assuming you've been to Chicago before?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Nope, will be my first time. My sister in law and her husband have been plenty of times, so they are being our guides.
It's a beautiful city, honestly. It catches a lot of shit for being some murderous warzone, when the reality is that's just a few neighborhoods that are bad, and you're safe in probably 98% of the city. At least as safe as you are in most other major cities in the US.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Grandpa is coming to town for thanksgiving.
I’ll be 15 weeks recovered from open heart surgery and looking for 6 for the Hawk-Habs game that Friday.
Not looking to steal them just don’t want to get molested either.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Grandpa is coming to town for thanksgiving.
I’ll be 15 weeks recovered from open heart surgery and looking for 6 for the Hawk-Habs game that Friday.
Not looking to steal them just don’t want to get molested either.
Still lots available, but yeah, wasn't cheap.

See ya there!

It's a beautiful city, honestly. It catches a lot of shit for being some murderous warzone, when the reality is that's just a few neighborhoods that are bad, and you're safe in probably 98% of the city. At least as safe as you are in most other major cities in the US.
Yeah, I'm not too worried. Only ever been to NYC and Vegas and didn't feel unsafe being in those cities at any point.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Agreed! I grew up near Grand and Western and usually walked to the old place as a kid.
Walk up at 7:15 for a 7:30 start and we would get 2nd balcony tickets for $4.50 each.

I have 7 police folk in my family. (1 is at the sheriffs office) they say the biggest problem is gentrification, that rebuilding former ghettos into decent neighborhoods pushes all the gangbangers and drug dealers into smaller and closer confines. Creating violent turf wars in the remaining bad areas. Also while crime and stray bullets do still harm the innocent, the vast majority of those being shot are involved with the gangs and drugs.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
What’s the deal with all the dispensaries not showing any product on the retail floor? Can’t smell or see the bud at all?

That’s weird. And not conducive to selling product. Apparently it’s an ILL law, but damn. That sucks for these businesses.

✌️

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I have an extra ticket to the Nov 25th game vs. MTL if anyone is interested. My friends Dad cant make it anymore. Bonus, you get to meet me and sit beside me, lol, maybe I should edit that out as it may not help sell the ticket!

SEC 305 Row 2
Face value was $123, may be willing to negotiate price.

Reactions: Naster Okan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad