OT: Visiting Chicago 2 - All Pizza, All the Time

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Hey folks, I'm going to Chicago for a wedding Nov 12-14th. The last time I was there I was 11 years old so it's a different experience. I should have some time on Friday before the dinner and Saturday before the ceremony, what should I check out with a few extra hours?

#2eddieshore

May 29, 2005
Im in town for my first Blackhawks game and wondered if its possible to watch warm up from the lower bowl if you don't have a lower bowl ticket

also, how easy is it to move down to a lower bowl seat after the first period if there is a section with some unsold seats?

thanks a lot! look forward to going through the 17 pages of this thread to see what else to do whilst im here!

Mojo007

Sep 26, 2012
Bratislava
Heya folks! :) NHL/NBA fan from Europe here, coming in peace..

In some 5 days I'm flying to Mexico with a stopover in Chicago just good for hopefully getting to the Bulls home game with Charlotte (would prefer a Blackhawks game, but happy anyway, and looking forward to see United Center). Got a couple of questions, that if someone local would answer, I would be really grateful for. I will start from the most important to least:

- Best way to get a couple tickets? (I went through most pages in here, and I guess I need to just pick the best option among seatgeek, stubhub, ticketmaster, tickpick, ticket exchange)
- How long before the listed game start do you recommend us to arrive at United Center?
- Is there a luggage room where we can drop our backpacks possibly? (would prefer to go directly to the game and to hotel only after);
- I guess there are places nice to visit (especially for someone from overseas) within the united center with some Bulls/Blackhawks memorabilia etc. - any recommendations?
- When you say Chicago, the only things I can think of are Bulls/Blackhawks, deep dish pizza and the large metal bean :D So any recommendations are appreciated, especially those for venues along the blue line and near United center. Unfortunately we have very little time - arriving to O'Hare 3:15pm and departing 7:15am next morning.
- I will be looking for a convenient+cheap-ish hotel/airbnb aling the blue metro line, but if you have some good recommendation, let me know.

Thanks for any help! Cheers! :)

Reactions: Giovi and Mrfenn92

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

In some 5 days I'm flying to Mexico with a stopover in Chicago just good for hopefully getting to the Bulls home game with Charlotte (would prefer a Blackhawks game, but happy anyway, and looking forward to see United Center). Got a couple of questions, that if someone local would answer, I would be really grateful for. I will start from the most important to least:

- Best way to get a couple tickets? (I went through most pages in here, and I guess I need to just pick the best option among seatgeek, stubhub, ticketmaster, tickpick, ticket exchange)
- How long before the listed game start do you recommend us to arrive at United Center?
- Is there a luggage room where we can drop our backpacks possibly? (would prefer to go directly to the game and to hotel only after);
- I guess there are places nice to visit (especially for someone from overseas) within the united center with some Bulls/Blackhawks memorabilia etc. - any recommendations?
- When you say Chicago, the only things I can think of are Bulls/Blackhawks, deep dish pizza and the large metal bean :D So any recommendations are appreciated, especially those for venues along the blue line and near United center. Unfortunately we have very little time - arriving to O'Hare 3:15pm and departing 7:15am next morning.
- I will be looking for a convenient+cheap-ish hotel/airbnb aling the blue metro line, but if you have some good recommendation, let me know.

I’d say probably seatgeek or ticketmaster the day before should do it.

If you have actual seats, getting there whenever is fine before puck drop. It’s a huge arena, so you might want to walk around and absorb it in before the game, so maybe 30-45 minutes before? Standing room is another story, but I’d actively recommend against those.

I dont believe they have a luggage room or a bag check, you’ll have to drop those off at the hotel beforehand.

There‘s gear shops at multiple places around the arena, so nowhere specific for that. The atrium and statues around the arena are nice selfie spots, though.

For pizza, I’d personally always recommend Uno or Due north of the river.

Have fun!

Reactions: Mojo007

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

- Best way to get a couple tickets? (I went through most pages in here, and I guess I need to just pick the best option among seatgeek, stubhub, ticketmaster, tickpick, ticket exchange) Whatever is cheapest. Game is not sold out, so you could go direct through Ticketmaster or Bulls.com. Be prepared to be gouged.
- How long before the listed game start do you recommend us to arrive at United Center? There is a hat giveaway, if you're interested in getting that at least an hour. If not, 15-20 minutes
- Is there a luggage room where we can drop our backpacks possibly? (would prefer to go directly to the game and to hotel only after); I don't know if they have it anymore, but it was a hassle when they did. It was a hard to find trailer outside the arena. Definitely recommend dropping off your bags 1st.
- I guess there are places nice to visit (especially for someone from overseas) within the united center with some Bulls/Blackhawks memorabilia etc. - any recommendations? Not really. The United Center is pretty isolated, it's not like other big cities where the arena is right downtown. The attached Madhouse Store is your best bet.
- When you say Chicago, the only things I can think of are Bulls/Blackhawks, deep dish pizza and the large metal bean :D So any recommendations are appreciated, especially those for venues along the blue line and near United center. Unfortunately we have very little time - arriving to O'Hare 3:15pm and departing 7:15am next morning. Consider having dinner in the Wicker Park neighborhood. Get off the Blue Line at Damon, eat around there, then get on the 50 Damon Bus going southbound, that will take you right to the arena. This will give you a much more local experience than touristy downtown. If you want deep dish pizza they have Lou Malnati's there, but also lots of other bars & restaurants.
- I will be looking for a convenient+cheap-ish hotel/airbnb aling the blue metro line, but if you have some good recommendation, let me know. Recommend staying near the airport. You don't to deal with the Blue Line in the morning trying to get to your flight, get that out of the way after the game.

Added some stuff in bold. Have a good time!

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
One other recommendation: Buy a 1-day CTA pass. It's $5 to ride anywhere for 24 hours. Most 'L' train rides are $2.50, however it's $5 if you depart O'hare (city's way of gouging travelers). But if you pay with an unlimited pass, there's no extra charge.

cedouimet

Aug 3, 2005
Hi guys, i'm in chicago for a couple days. Going to white sox and cubs games.

But we are looking for a sports bar where we can watch the NHL playoffs and enjoy the drinks!

Staying at best western in the loop so anything close would be appreciated! Thanks!

Naster Okan

Jan 8, 2019
Anyone know of any good restaurants in the Ukrainian Village area? I have a show at The Empty Bottle at the end of the week.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hey, I'm trying to visit Chicago in late June. Trying to get Wrigley tickets for the 19th, and tickets to see the jays on the 21st. If any of you guys are selling I'd be more than glad to buy, if not, does anyone know a good reliable site for these things?

Edit: Beyond excited to finally see your city, A question. Malnati's/Uno or some other joints? I've booked a diner at metropolitan grill, but I'm trying to stop by the best deep dish and Italian beef spot. Your guys opinion will be much appreciated!

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Hey, I'm trying to visit Chicago in late June. Trying to get Wigigley tickets for the 19th, and tickets to see the jays on the 21st. If any of you guys are selling I'd be more than glad to buy, if not, does anyone know a good reliable site for these things?

Edit: Beyond excited to finally see your city, A question. Malnati's/Uno or some other joints? I've booked a diner at metropolitan grill, but I'm trying to stop by the best deep dish and Italian beef spot. Your guys opinion will be much appreciated!

stubhub or seatgeek are fine.

Uno/Due are my favorites.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
Hey, I'm trying to visit Chicago in late June. Trying to get Wigigley tickets for the 19th, and tickets to see the jays on the 21st. If any of you guys are selling I'd be more than glad to buy, if not, does anyone know a good reliable site for these things?

Lou's in my book. Can't go wrong with any of the big names, though.

Portillo's for beef.

Reactions: 93LEAFS

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lou's in my book. Can't go wrong with any of the big names, though.

Portillo's for beef.
I'll def put Portillo's on my list. Outside of finally seeing Wrigley (and getting to Comiskey for the Jays game), Pizza and Italian Beef were at the very top of my list.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I'll def put Portillo's on my list. Outside of finally seeing Wrigley (and getting to Comiskey for the Jays game), Pizza and Italian Beef were at the very top of my list.

There's a place downtown called Pizano's off of Madison and Michigan Ave that is our favorite for both thin crust, and deep dish. Same family as the original Pizzeria Uno(The Malnatis). While deep dish is traditionally what people think of when they think of "Chicago pizza" it's not the true Chicago style. Thin crust is, cut into squares, not triangles. Get it well-done, so it's super crispy and the cheese is browned really nicely. If you want a taste of what Chicago has to offer with pizza, you should have both thin and deep dish, IMO. I prefer sausage, mushroom, onion, green pepper, personally.

Portillo's, Pop's, or Buona are all solid for beef. That's if you're looking more for chain restaurants.

If you're looking for one-offs, or smaller places, Al's #1 on Taylor Street is my top of the list.

This all depends on where you're staying, also. You going to be downtown, or somewhere out towards the burbs?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There's a place downtown called Pizano's off of Madison and Michigan Ave that is our favorite for both thin crust, and deep dish. Same family as the original Pizzeria Uno(The Malnatis). While deep dish is traditionally what people think of when they think of "Chicago pizza" it's not the true Chicago style. Thin crust is, cut into squares, not triangles. Get it well-done, so it's super crispy and the cheese is browned really nicely. If you want a taste of what Chicago has to offer with pizza, you should have both thin and deep dish, IMO. I prefer sausage, mushroom, onion, green pepper, personally.

Portillo's, Pop's, or Buona are all solid for beef. That's if you're looking more for chain restaurants.

If you're looking for one-offs, or smaller places, Al's #1 on Taylor Street is my top of the list.

This all depends on where you're staying, also. You going to be downtown, or somewhere out towards the burbs?
Likely going to fly into Midway, and stay somewhere near River North.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

This is my order as well.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Question:

Looking at a map ,I see that the river cuts many streets which continue on the other side...for instance W.Grand Ave goes both west of the river and east of the river...

So is there a bridge to walk across the river for these streets running on both sides of it?
Orders how does one cross the river to continue on that street heading west on West Grand Ave.?

There are many otgerxstredts like this that continue on either side of the river ...so how do you cross on foot?

I plan to finally visit Chicago probably for 5 nights and probably staying in the River North area and I have planned out several restaurants I want to eat at many within a 1-10 minute walk and some about a 25 minute walk from tge hotel I am thinking I might book at. FORrestuarants furtgerxawaycIvwill need to tKe the trains stem lines ...
But for thise within a few minutes to half hour walk in sone xasesI must crissvovervthecriver ..so are their bridges/overpasses or underground passages to do this?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Since Chicago is one of my bucket list places to visit ,I probably will make a 5-7might trip probably by sumnervof 2924(since I have a big trip to Israel planned for fall 2023 and am saving money for that to strike off the bucket list first...

Anyway I started liookng at locations to stay and to eat at ...as for Deep Dish pizza ,I doubt I could finish one and doubt I woukd like it anyway...so instead of the usual visitors r must go for deep dish pizzza,I probably would prefer a thin cr medium crist pizza with god topings..

I noticed that Coalfire (2 locations) was recommended ...so I think I might fto the location closest to where I will be staying for my pizza night during my eventual trip there.

Anybody tried Coalfire?

As for burgers...one of the places recommended that I noticed in several blogs on brst burgers vnChicago is Owen & Engine because they apparently use bone marrow in their burger which adds extra softness to the texture ...
Anybody had their burgers?

For Mexican,I have Frontera Grill and Tolopobampo (circled as must go to...

For Israeli or Mediterranean cuisine ,Aba ,Ema,and Galit look interesting ..

Do not know if I would eat hot dogs more than than once during this trip ...probably would do that at Guaranreed rate field when I go to a White Sox game ..

The only problem with such a trip to Chicago is that on top of tge normal expense in eating at some top restaurants is that as a Canadian I will be paying more when converting Cdn dollars saved for this to American dollars..

It really will be expensive...hopefully by sumner 2024 some of the causing inflation will be alleviated and proces can come back down again...but if this inflation continues unsolved ,nobody willbe making many trips at all.

Reactions: Crow

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I used to live 500ft away from Owen and Engine. One of the best burgers I’ve ever had for sure. They’re right across the street from a movie theater too so on Tuesdays they’d have a special where you could get a burger, a shot, and a beer for like $20 and then go see a half off movie on Tuesday night. Good times. Cool date spot too.

Reactions: Hakoon

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Since Chicago is one of my bucket list places to visit ,I probably will make a 5-7might trip probably by sumnervof 2924(since I have a big trip to Israel planned for fall 2023 and am saving money for that to strike off the bucket list first...

Anyway I started liookng at locations to stay and to eat at ...as for Deep Dish pizza ,I doubt I could finish one and doubt I woukd like it anyway...so instead of the usual visitors r must go for deep dish pizzza,I probably would prefer a thin cr medium crist pizza with god topings..

I noticed that Coalfire (2 locations) was recommended ...so I think I might fto the location closest to where I will be staying for my pizza night during my eventual trip there.

Anybody tried Coalfire?

As for burgers...one of the places recommended that I noticed in several blogs on brst burgers vnChicago is Owen & Engine because they apparently use bone marrow in their burger which adds extra softness to the texture ...
Anybody had their burgers?

For Mexican,I have Frontera Grill and Tolopobampo (circled as must go to...

For Israeli or Mediterranean cuisine ,Aba ,Ema,and Galit look interesting ..

Do not know if I would eat hot dogs more than than once during this trip ...probably would do that at Guaranreed rate field when I go to a White Sox game ..

The only problem with such a trip to Chicago is that on top of tge normal expense in eating at some top restaurants is that as a Canadian I will be paying more when converting Cdn dollars saved for this to American dollars..

It really will be expensive...hopefully by sumner 2024 some of the causing inflation will be alleviated and proces can come back down again...but if this inflation continues unsolved ,nobody willbe making many trips at all.

Kuma's Corner is also a fantastic burger spot, FYI.

Reactions: Naster Okan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad