Ville de Québec Partie XII: Attendez patiemment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
The Canadian dollar is not going to be an issue for Quebec - this is exactly why Bettman has been focused on attracting owners with deep pockets. It was an issue for the pre-Katz Oilers, who did not have deep pockets, but it's not a huge issue any more for any of the Canadian franchises, particularly given the TV deal that Rogers just signed.

The arena is being built by the same wealthy corporation (Quebecor) that just paid $120 Million for the NHL Broadcast rights in Quebec. If there has ever been a franchise move / expansion telegraphed, this is it.

The only remaining question is where the franchise will come from.
Maybe quebec should pay the expansion fee and Seattle/lv get the relocation team (s). 450 million could really hurt the bottom line of a small market club but that is chump change for quebecor

Shawa666

May 25, 2010
Québec, Qc, Ca
The Canadian dollar is not going to be an issue for Quebec - this is exactly why Bettman has been focused on attracting owners with deep pockets. It was an issue for the pre-Katz Oilers, who did not have deep pockets, but it's not a huge issue any more for any of the Canadian franchises, particularly given the TV deal that Rogers just signed.

The arena is being built by the same wealthy corporation (Quebecor) that just paid $120 Million for the NHL Broadcast rights in Quebec. If there has ever been a franchise move / expansion telegraphed, this is it.

The only remaining question is where the franchise will come from.

City of Quebec is building the arena. Quebecor will pay the city to use it.

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Maybe quebec should pay the expansion fee and Seattle/lv get the relocation team (s). 450 million could really hurt the bottom line of a small market club but that is chump change for quebecor

450 million is not chump change for Quebecor. If they think the acquisition of an NHL team still makes sense at that price, they'll do it, but it's still a significant investment for them.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
450 million is not chump change for Quebecor. If they think the acquisition of an NHL team still makes sense at that price, they'll do it, but it's still a significant investment for them.

Complementary products ... media and sports. Quebecor's overall bottom line will be enhanced by having an NHL franchise in Quebec, which means that they don't need the NHL franchise to be independently profitable for the investment to be worthwhile. That gives them a huge edge over other potential investors.

GF

Nov 4, 2012
450m$ is crazy expensive. It was a year ago with the can dollar at par with the US. With the current exchange rate at 0.8 I don't believe Quebecor would pay 565mcan$ for an expansion franchise. It makes no sense at all. That's over the top, Sarah Palin crazy.

Of course it's their money and they can spend it as they please. But when you consider the price Winnipeg got the Trashers for (170m$) just four years ago, why would Quebecor pay 565m$?

The Habs sold for 575m$ just 6 years ago for 575m$ including the Bell Center that is one of the most profitable venue in North America. If we say the Bell Center is worth as much as the new Colisee (400m$) that's 175m$ the CH actually sold for. If a 100yo team, 24times Stanley Cup champions in the third largest hockey market sold for 175m$ some 6years ago, why would Quebecor pay 565m$ for an expansion team?

Completely crazy! It might be very long before we see an NHL team in QC. I can't believe how people think that 450mU$ is just pocket change. It's basically the price the CH/Bell Center sold for!!!! :teach:

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
450m$ is crazy expensive. It was a year ago with the can dollar at par with the US. With the current exchange rate at 0.8 I don't believe Quebecor would pay 565mcan$ for an expansion franchise. It makes no sense at all. That's over the top, Sarah Palin crazy.

It's important to understand why the value of sports franchises has skyrocketed recently: TV and advertising.

Sports are the only thing that people NEED to watch live. Every other show, people are happy to record / watch later / watch on Netflix. As a result, advertisers are paying more for sports than other shows, because sports are the only outlet where they're guaranteed to get viewers.

That explains why the NHL was able to command such a hefty TV rights contract from Rogers, why Quebecor paid $120 million for NHL broadcast rights in Quebecc, and why the Quebec NHL franchise is worth so much to Quebecor.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Me too, I've followed them a bit, but when I saw Sakic lift the cup in a denver jersey and thanking the denver fan for the support. I knew it was not my team anymore and I completely lost interest in the NHL.

Sakic not as classy as Pedro Martinez thanking the fans in Montréal.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
Me too, I've followed them a bit, but when I saw Sakic lift the cup in a denver jersey and thanking the denver fan for the support. I knew it was not my team anymore and I completely lost interest in the NHL.

Sakic not as classy as Pedro Martinez thanking the fans in Montréal.

If I remember well, the only classy guy who mentioned the fan in quebec city was Uwe Krupp.

Come on now. You really proved you don't know anything about Sakic. There's isn't one time when he was in an Avs jersey that he hasn't praised Quebec City for the support of their fans because of how much of a ****** team there was, still the fans were always there to back the team up during the dark era.

There isn't a guy more classy than Sakic. Poor choice of words there.

Hal1971

Mar 26, 2012
Quebec City
Come on now. You really proved you don't know anything about Sakic. There's isn't one time when he was in an Avs jersey that he hasn't praised Quebec City for the support of their fans because of how much of a ****** team there was, still the fans were always there to back the team up during the dark era.

There isn't a guy more classy than Sakic. Poor choice of words there.

Perhaps before or after, but I meant when they won it, durings the post game interview and all that, the only one that mentioned Quebec was Uwe Krupp, that left a bitter taste and I never watched NHL since that. My interest grew up again in 2002 when they had a pre-season game in Quebec and Forsberg, Foot and Sakic did the warm-up in Nordiques gear... That healed it

barneyg

Apr 22, 2007
Complementary products ... media and sports. Quebecor's overall bottom line will be enhanced by having an NHL franchise in Quebec, which means that they don't need the NHL franchise to be independently profitable for the investment to be worthwhile. That gives them a huge edge over other potential investors.

I understand the strategic justification for a media and entertainment conglomerate to buy a hockey team but the truth is that it isn't just a qualitative argument (does that argument still work with a $600M purchase price? 800M? 1 billion?).

Nevertheless, my point is that $450 million is NOT chump change for Quebecor, it's a very significant investment, especially for a company whose main businesses (except for Videotron) are not exactly in an enviable financial shape -- funny you should talk about their 'overall bottom line', $450 million is about their bottom line for the past 3 full years combined (2011-2013, 2014 not available yet, maybe later this week).

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I would rather let Seattle and Las Vegas spend those $450M on a brand new team. I mean they want it so much. Would also help eliminate many NHL made double standards.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
I understand the strategic justification for a media and entertainment conglomerate to buy a hockey team but the truth is that it isn't just a qualitative argument (does that argument still work with a $600M purchase price? 800M? 1 billion?).

Nevertheless, my point is that $450 million is NOT chump change for Quebecor, it's a very significant investment, especially for a company whose main businesses (except for Videotron) are not exactly in an enviable financial shape -- funny you should talk about their 'overall bottom line', $450 million is about their bottom line for the past 3 full years combined (2011-2013, 2014 not available yet, maybe later this week).

They are shifting their strategy away from print media and towards wireless. Just like Rogers. An NHL team is a perfect fit for that.

http://business.financialpost.com/2...at-the-ceo-is-taking-it-slow/?__lsa=ab74-8888

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
sigh. you're still arguing on strategic grounds. $450 million is still a lot of money. it may be a good strategy (or not), but it's not "a good strategy regardless of the cost".

Oh, yes, the dreaded strategy argument in a discussion thread about the business of hockey.

You can't just say that a number is good or bad without understanding the broader context. My point is that a number that may not make sense strictly for the hockey side would make sense for Quebecor given their overall portfolio of businesses.

Is $450 Million worth it just for the hockey team? Likely not. But it is almost certainly worth it for Quebecor given their overall strategy.

What is the upper bound for a worthwhile price? I don't claim that there is no upper bound, but it's not as though we're talking about the price going to $800 million.

Slashers98

Oct 3, 2008
Quebec City
TVA is losing money head over feet right now with its sports channels so it needs content to mitigate the losses, which is why a professional hockey team would be a great investment whatever the price is to acquire it.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Is it just me or are Quebecor really dragging the feet with the arena

Shows were supposed to be annonced by mid feb, then late feb, then mid march, now supposed to be late march, even if they were to annonce them they havent even started the hiring process for ticket sellers/box office staff

Still no name on the building , no beer deal, no soft drink deal, hell its 2015 how can they not even have a website for the arena?

Usually at this time of the year the remparts are selling season tickets that has also been pushed back

halligan10

Mar 6, 2012
Palm Harbor

Shows were supposed to be annonced by mid feb, then late feb, then mid march, now supposed to be late march, even if they were to annonce them they havent even started the hiring process for ticket sellers/box office staff

Still no name on the building , no beer deal, no soft drink deal, hell its 2015 how can they not even have a website for the arena?

Usually at this time of the year the remparts are selling season tickets that has also been pushed back

this may be the reason...who knows?

http://www.tvasports.ca/2014/12/11/demenagement-des-panthers--de-reelles-menaces

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com

Might be a indicator that the shoe about to drop. Or at the very least they want their options open just in case. If they knew for sure that it not happening next season they would already be loading up on shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad